Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unnamed AFC assistant coach: 'Kirk Cousins could tear our league apart, he's a star'
Kirk Cousins is who many coaches in the NFL thought he was, Washington's fans get wise, and Eric Dickerson's noble cause. All that and more in this week's 10-Point Stance.
1. Captain Kirk
To many who watched him over the years, Kirk Cousins was what he was—an OK player who had his moments, an average quarterback. Not terrible but nothing special.
Coaches who have watched Cousins from afar, however, have long felt differently. To them, Cousins was a physically gifted player in a poor organization that didn't know how to surround him with talent on either side of the ball.
In the right system, on the right team, many of those coaches thought Cousins could be a star.
Yes, an Aaron Rodgers-Tom Brady-Al Pacino-type star.
Kirk Cousins.
They may not have been wrong. Through the season's first two weeks, Cousins has a 108.7 passer rating, ranks fifth in passing yards, third in touchdown passes, has nine plays of at least 20 yards and has the Vikings 1-0-1 with the league's 10th-best scoring output. As one AFC East assistant coach told me this week: "You see what happens when you put him in a real organization with all-around good players. He could tear our league apart."
He could tear the league apart?
Are we talking about the same Kirk? Not this KirkOr this one?
We saw a glimpse of that star potential in the Vikings' 29-29 tie with the Packers on Sunday. Cousins stood toe-to-toe with Rodgers (an injured Rodgers, but still...) at Lambeau Field. He threw for 425 yards, four touchdowns, a two-point conversion and just one pick.
He also made one of the best touch passes you will ever see, throwing it between two Packers defenders, while he got blasted. It was the kind of throw that if Brady made it, we'd be crafting another version of Beowulf as an ode to him.
The Washington Redacteds never trusted Cousins. They essentially swapped him for Alex Smith, who's good but whose ceiling is limited.
It's early, sure, and maybe Cousins falls apart. But he has two things going for him he didn't have before: trust and talent.
On Sunday, the Vikings coaching staff allowed him to make plays he was never given the freedom to in six years with Washington.
And the plays he was making were with top receivers like Stefon Diggs and in front of perhaps the most talented defense in football. Dan Snyder could only dream of constructing a roster that potent.
With Cousins making smart throws, aggressive throws and impossible throws, the Vikings have a true star at QB.
Yes, Kirk Cousins.
That guy.
- Mike Freeman, Bleacher Report

The more I read stuff like this the madder I get at our former kicker. 

I think Zimmer was sold on him after he torched our D in Washington last year.  A game that should have been an easy win for us, but an ill advised INT gave them life and Cousins just about used it to beat us.  I can imagine Zim after that game saying to Rick, "I don't ever want to coach against him again, so if that guy is available, get him."

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Its funny....I don't feel like that. And I'm as surprised as anyone about that. What Cousins did in that game got me more jacked up than I've been since the Minneapolis Miracle (good luck surpassing that, however), but for QB play since Favre played here that magical year in 2009. He was unreal. By the time he tossed that perfectly placed 2 pt. conversion ball, I told my wife, 'I don't care if the Vikings win or lose now.....that was a tour de force performance by Cousins'. I couldn't believe they came back like they did on the road. It was so un-Viking like. 

It was a tough loss (edit: tie), but my overwhelming feeling is there are a lot more wins coming this season thanks to Cousins. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Its funny....I don't feel like that. And I'm as surprised as anyone about that. What Cousins did in that game got me more jacked up than I've been since the Minneapolis Miracle (good luck surpassing that, however), but for QB play since Favre played here that magical year in 2009. He was unreal. By the time he tossed that perfectly placed 2 pt. conversion ball, I told my wife, 'I don't care if the Vikings win or lose now.....that was a tour de force performance by Cousins'. I couldn't believe they came back like they did on the road. It was so un-Viking like. 

It was a tough loss, but my overwhelming feeling is there are a lot more wins coming this season thanks to Cousins. 

I feel the same way. I'm also rest assured that we were able to identify a kicker with a confidence problem and rectify that problem before he costs us a more meaningful game later in the season or possibly the playoffs.

@"MaroonBells" said:

It was a tough loss, but my overwhelming feeling is there are a lot more wins coming this season thanks to Cousins. 

I agree about Cousin's performance.  I kept waiting for him to fail, just because I didn't respect his abilities enough.  He proved me wrong, and I was proud of the way he led the team.

It does suck we didn't pull off the comeback completely.  The goods news is, we DIDN'T lose to GB!  B)

He's calm and is a great leader. Throws a nice spiral with some zip on it. Stands in the pocket looking downfield with stuff happening close to him. Moves around when he has to. And is accurate. I mean, he seems to have the 'it' factor.

He's calm and is a great leader. Throws a nice spiral with some zip on it. Stands in the pocket looking downfield with stuff happening close to him. Moves around when he has to. And is accurate. I mean, he seems to have the 'it' factor.
He’s the polar opposite of SideshowBob™️ no...!?  Wink B)

That long ball to Diggs was a thing of beauty and that throw to Thielen was in such a tight window. I am looking forward to seeing him this weekend. Thanks Dan Snyder.

Only caveat----we watched 2 missed fgs and still went conservative and put it in the hands of a kicker

Dammit zim grow a pair and be aggressive in the offense to close out a game