Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There were 19 missed kicks today
NINETEEN. 

Kicking is an issue.

I still want Carlson booted from the team

Carlson missed 16% of them

Burning a 5th round pick on a Kicker should never be done.
But I'm starting to think trading a draft pick for a proven Kicker might not be such a bad idea. I hope we try to get Bailey but if we don't for some reason, I'd be more than fine with trading for a guy at the deadline.
It sounds crazy to burn a pick but if we look like a legit contender and our kicking game is still terrible, I'd be happy to go "all in" and trade a 4th rounder for a kicker. Again, I know it sounds crazy. But kicking is so important and clearly Rick is willing to spend draft capital on kickers. He's just not doing it the right way. Some team with a bad record will have a good kicker (Detroit? SF? CIN?). Do a deal.

I hope we get Bailey but if not, I'm open to options. Sick of watching shanks.

You had ONE JOB

As we saw today, having a good kicker is crucial. However, we also saw that regardless of a kicker's physical ability that they need to be mentally resilient. It's a hard job. You have a few opportunities to make an impact in a game and if something goes wrong, it's not like you get to go out there the next play and move on. You're left to linger with the mistake you made. Because of that, I felt like drafting a kicker as high as we did was a mistake. Yes, he has all the physical traits you want in a kicker, but if he can't be resilient enough to move on from mistakes, then the team needs to bring in a new kicker. He was struggling in the preseason, yet the team cut Forbath early and cost us a victory against the Packers. Hopefully, we go out and bring in a proven kicker who has shown they can handle mental side of the game. All kickers will struggle and all kickers will miss, but missing three kicks in a row all in the exact same way is not acceptable. 

Missing a 50+ yarder....I can't be too upset.  A 48 yarder...it happens.  But missing one that is in essence an extra point?  Inexcusable.

I have a difficult time buying into the mental side of kickers. It’s only one job and should be near automatic. Let’s put it in perspective. If you miss a kick you may lose a GAME. I get if a guy is in the Superbowl but other than that there should be little real pressure. There are other jobs out there with real pressure that make life and death decisions for far less pay. When I was point on a SWAT team for 3 years I couldn’t have a bad day or make a bad decision/perform poorly. People/teammates/myself die or suffer great injury as a consequence. A surgeon performing a higher risk procedure can’t mail in their performance. The decision making we put on our warriors overseas - all real pressure situations. Not to be flippant but I wanted to give some background to why I can be very harsh on kickers. Unless they think they can fix his head by next week he should be cleaning out his locker by noon tomorrow to make room for a guy with his mind right. I don’t think I’ll ever be down with drafting a kicker. It sucks that we burned another pick (in a spot that brought us Stefon Diggs) on a kicker unable to perform the simple job asked asked of them. 

See ball kick ball. That’s all it is. Like Ralph said, you’re going to miss a 48 or 52 yarder now and then because it is a challenging distance. Otherwise there really is no excuse. 

Something has gone wrong with his muscle memory of FG kicking. The question is how quickly can they figure it out and correct it.

NFL needs to come up with a new rule to protect kickers...egos.