Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Hits With Viking Bob 2017 Training Camp Preview
As the Rookies and Veterans start piling into Mankato for the Last Time, Head Coach Mike Zimmer has a lot of decisions to make. Here is a quick look at whats going to be going on in Training Camp.

QB Sam Bradford is coming off an NFL record setting season for completion percentage, this time with more than 6 days before the season starting, having a full off season, OTAs, and Training Camp. Back up competition will come from Case Keenum, Taylor Heinicke, and Wes Lunt, but don't count out Teddy Bridgewater, as video of him practicing and looking pretty good is everywhere. Bradford will actually be getting some help this year with the addition of Latavius Murray and top Draft Pick, Dalvin Cook that should form a dynamic duo at RB after last season's non existence at the RB position. Depth will come from Jerick McKinnon, Bishop Sankey and C.J. Ham and Terrell Newby, Add in the signings of Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers to shore up the Tackle positions as well as high draft pick of Pat Elflein who will be battling for the starting Center job. Also the depth competition should be a real good one this season with players like T.J. Clemmings, Joe Berger, Jeremiah Sirles, Rashod Hill, Nick Easton, Willie Beavers, Aviante Collins, Reid Fragel, Zac Kerin, Freddie Tagaloa, and a guy I really like Danny Isidora. The Receiving Corp has Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen and Kyle Rudolph all coming off career years, Laquon Treadwell looking to make the progression on non existent Rookie season and the addition of Michael Floyd who will have to serve a 4 game suspension to start the season, add in veteran Jarius Wright and competition coming from Moritz Bohringer,  Isaac Fruechte, Cayleb Jones, R.J. Shelton, and rookies Rodney Adams, Stacey Coley. Rounding off the Tight End spot are David Morgan, Rookie Bucky Hodges, with competition coming from Kyle Carter, and monster Nick Truesdell.
The Defense is coming off another great season with the Defensive Line of Everson Griffen, Brian Robison and Danielle Hunter as the go to guys off the Ends with competition coming from Stephen Weatherly, Tashawn Bower, Sam McCaskill and FA signing Datone Jones, the tackle spots are Linval Joseph, and with Shariff Floyd still injured the battle comes from a slew of Dylan Bradley,Tom Johnson, Shamar Stephen, with FA signings of Will Sutton, Chunky Clements, and draft picks of Jaleel Johnson and Ifeadi Odenigbo. Linebackers have incumbents of Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr with the competition coming from Kentrell Brothers, Emmanual Lamur, Edmond Robinson, Shaan Washington, Eric Wilson and draft picks Ben Gedeon, and Elijah Lee. The Secondary has Xavier Rhodes starting at one CB spot with Terrance Newman expected to win the opposite side CB, Harrison Smith is one starting safety with Andrew Sendejo expected to start at the other safety spot, competition at CB comes from Trae Waynes, Mackensie Alexander, Jabari Price, Marcus Sherels, Terrell Sinkfield, Horace Richardson and Tre Roberson, Safety competition is Jayron Kearse, Anthony Harris, Antone Exum, and rookie draft pick Jack Tocho.
Special Teams has Kicker Kai Forbath and Marshall Koehn fighting for the job, Punting job is between Taylor Symmank and Ryan Quigley, long snapper is Kevin McDermott. Marcus Sherels looks to keep the Punt Returners job and the Kick Returners job is wide open.

THE Q AND A.

Will the OL be better? I say YES!!
WR will Floyd and/or Treadwell help? again I say YES
With Shariff Floyd most likely out for a long time again, who wins the the DT spot? thats a huge question mark
With Chad Greenway retiring the third LB is a crap shoot, I look for Edmond Robinson to win that spot.
With Captain Munnerlyn leaving, can Newman keep that bottle he has of Fountain of Youth full? will Waynes step up and perform as a starter? will Alexander step up and take the nickel CB role? 
Who will step up as the top backups at safety?
Special Teams just may be the biggest question marks on this team as they hit Training Camp. I think Rodney Adams takes over the KR spot for the departed Cordarelle Patterson.
The Kicker and Punter spots still scare the heck out of me... that's BAD!!!

thanks for the write up Bob excellent job.  I do not think out OL could be any worse so that should be a yes.  If not we are in for a long season.

Thank you Rob  SKOL!!!