Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridgewater trade good, but just not for Teddy
Agreed. 

Star Tribune Sports‏ @StribSports 3m3 minutes ago
More
Bridgewater trade is a win for everybody -- except Teddy. @RandBall on the former #Vikings quarterback: http://strib.mn/2omAMyv 
[Image: Dl7t5TuU4AETOxo.jpg]

Teddy would have been a better bet for Tampa or Jacksonville. In Tampa he would have started the first 3 games of the season and left the Bucs with a big decision on their hands, I think. In Jacksonville...well, he's better than Bortles plain and simple. I don't know what Bortles' contract looks like but Teddy would be an upgrade over him very easily. That would have been the ideal situation for Teddy with the very good D they have assembled there and a real nice running game with Fournette.

The kid has had a steing of troubles and deserves better.  I dont know why New Orleans would even want a guy who wants a starting gig and has worked hard to get it.  

Brees is probably retiring after this year.  It puts Teddy on a path to learning behind a great once again.  I hate to see him play for the Saints, but hope the best for him.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Agreed. 

Star Tribune Sports‏ @StribSports 3m3 minutes ago
More
Bridgewater trade is a win for everybody -- except Teddy. @RandBall on the former #Vikings quarterback: http://strib.mn/2omAMyv 
[Image: Dl7t5TuU4AETOxo.jpg]
It's probably not what he wanted. I'm sure Teddy is anxious to prove himself as soon as possible. But it has the potential to work out much better than any of the other possible starting locations if he can just be patient. Saints didn't give up a 3rd round pick for a one-year back up QB. They gave up a 3rd rounder on their QB of the future. Brees isn't 34 or 36. He's 39 and is signed to a two-year contract. They're not going to give him another one at the age of 41. He'll retire and then the team will be Teddy's. Provided he stays healthy, and can be patient, Teddy is in a great situation to take over a very good team at 27 years old. 

Quote: @"IAVike" said:
Brees is probably retiring after this year.  It puts Teddy on a path to learning behind a great once again.  I hate to see him play for the Saints, but hope the best for him.
Again? What great QB has Bridgewater learned behind? McCown? Keenum? Cassel? Ponder??
I suppose it is Payton's plan to extend Bridgewater, but even if Brees retires after this season, that team could pick a QB #1 and he will be the shiny toy.
Funny that no one has suggested this means the Saints feel Brees has hit a steep decline. Sometimes old vets don't drop off gradually, they go off a cliff.

I can see the benefits for the Saints with this trade although I didn't read the article, so not sure if this was covered.  First they gave up a 3rd round pick and got back a 6th.  If they lose Teddy after this season they are eligible for a comp pick maybe as high as a third?  So they get a 5 Million very competent backup for one year and may breakeven on the trade front plus they got a 6th from the Jets.

Then there is this possibility as well?  What if another team loses their QB this season and is still in contention?  In a desperate situation a team might even give up more then a 3rd, who knows?

Good move by the Saints (yuck) IMO.  

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
Teddy would have been a better bet for Tampa or Jacksonville.  In Jacksonville...well, he's better than Bortles plain and simple. I don't know what Bortles' contract looks like but Teddy would be an upgrade over him very easily. That would have been the ideal situation for Teddy with the very good D they have assembled there and a real nice running game with Fournette.
Granted Bortles has played in twice as many games as Ted. 30 vs 62
He does how ever have 3 times as many TD's as Ted. 28 vs 90
I dont believe Ted can manage 2 TD's per game average for the next 32 games 
He would also need 8000 yards passing in 2 seasons, just to equal Bortles (62 games) worth of crappy stats. 

Quote: @"holmanjp" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
Teddy would have been a better bet for Tampa or Jacksonville.  In Jacksonville...well, he's better than Bortles plain and simple. I don't know what Bortles' contract looks like but Teddy would be an upgrade over him very easily. That would have been the ideal situation for Teddy with the very good D they have assembled there and a real nice running game with Fournette.
Granted Bortles has played in twice as many games as Ted. 30 vs 62
He does how ever have 3 times as many TD's as Ted. 28 vs 90
I dont believe Ted can manage 2 TD's per game average for the next 32 games 
He would also need 8000 yards passing in 2 seasons, just to equal Bortles (62 games) worth of crappy stats. 
Yeah, we can debate if Bortles will be a longer term good QB in the NFL but he's severely outplayed Teddy Bridgewater thus far. His stats are in a different universe. I think we all love Teddy, but I think its safe to say he's always overrated on this board. Which isn't unusual considering he was a fairly popular Viking when he was here.