Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time running out on Vikings long shot Holton Hill
With only two weeks left in the preseason, though, Hill has some work to do if he wants to make the Vikings’ active roster. He wasn’t overly impressive in training camp and didn’t step up in the first two preseason games. 
“I have a lot to prove over the next two weeks,” Hill said. “I still have to prove myself as a guy that can make plays. I want to get better every day and grow as a player so I can impact the game.” 
Hill has shown the ability to do that in the past. He was a gamebreaker at Texas, returning two interceptions for touchdowns last season. He also wasn’t afraid of contact, making 51 tackles before his suspension. 
But he has struggled adjusting to the complex system coach Mike Zimmer likes to run with the Vikings’ defense. 
“It’s about consistently latching on to the techniques and fundamentals we are teaching at the position,” defensive coordinator George Edwards said. “It’s totally different than what anyone sees when they’re at college. You can see the improvements. You can see the flashes. We just have to keep working with him to be consistent with it.” 
“It has been a lot,” Hill admitted. “I’d say the biggest adjustment has been getting the techniques down and stuff like that. It’s helped having good teammates and good coaches that are willing to take the time to actually help me understand everything.” 
Two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Xavier Rhodes has made it a point to take Hill under his wing. 
“It’s been a really good experience for me,” Hill said. “I’m enjoying it a lot, and I’m trying to embrace every moment.” 
Hill also understands that he can’t sit around and wait for an opportunity to fall into his lap, especially with the Vikings’ abundance of talented cornerbacks: Rhodes, Trae Waynes, Terence Newman, Mackensie Alexander, Mike Hughes and Marcus Sherels. 
Hill would do himself some good by making plays in Friday’s exhibition game against Seattle at U.S. Bank Stadium. 
https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/23/ho...h-vikings/

Marcus Sherels is a very good punt returner. He is not a CB. Hill has been playing too far off his man in the games so far. That's how Trae Waynes started, too. Of course, Hill is not a first round pick. But he has at least the potential to become a legit NFL CB. Sherels does not. If it comes down to one or the other, I sure hope we keep Hill over Sherels. But I suspect it will be the opposite.

Well, think of it this way.  If he doesn't flash, they can put him on the PS without worry that he will be snatched.
Actually, that would be the best place for him.

With the crowded secondary, he’s probably going to the practice squad.  It will allow him to get better and be called up if someone gets hurt during the season.

Get him a lot of playing time in the next two games and then put him on IR.

I doubt he goes to our PS.  If he hits waivers coming from our deep DB pool,  some team will pull him away most likely
  Even if it's just to their PS with a better chance to get onto their 53 due to less depth ahead of him.

If they honestly think he has potential to be a starter give him a roster spot and use him on special teams.

Quote: @medaille said:
But how long can they keep him on IR? Doesn't he eventually have to come to the 53 or make it to PS?

IF not? Brilliant idea, cause a redshirt year is what the kid needs. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@medaille said:
But how long can they keep him on IR? Doesn't he eventually have to come to the 53 or make it to PS?

wasnt the league going to start watching that shit closer and fining teams (cowboys) that made a habit out of using the IR to stash players?   seems there was some smoke about that a year or 2 ago.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@medaille said:

wasnt the league going to start watching that shit closer and fining teams (cowboys) that made a habit out of using the IR to stash players?   seems there was some smoke about that a year or 2 ago.

Kind of like last year when Aaron Rodgers came off I.R. late in their season.  As soon as the Packers were eliminated from the playoff contention (1 game later).  Rodgers went right back on I.R. with no apparent new injury or re-injury to his collarbone.  No explanation from the Packer's front office either.

This article is based on "we only keep 6 CBs" thinking. It's dumb, for various reasons.
  • No one will be surprised if we keep 6 LBs, but we have 3 CBs on the field twice as often as 3 LBs. Reality is closer to the idea that we have 3 "starting positions" for CBs and 2 "starting positions" for LBs.
    • I don't expect Terence Newman to be cut - though I don't think he is the lock some assume - but how much can he play? I think he's a situational sub, not a full-game starter.
    • Same perspective on Marcus Sherels. IMO Newman and Sherels are only part-time CBs.
    [*]So we have 4 CBs with ability to start for 3 positions. Hill is not, by most accounts, ready to start. BUT: neither Newman or Sherels are going to get better. Hill, OTOH, has tons of potential. Keep him on the team, and he can improve. By midseason or late in the year when players are getting dinged, he could be acceptable if he needed to step in for a game.[*]Do we have any other young CBs with high potential on the roster (aside from the top 4)? No.[*]2 of our top 4 (Waynes and Alexander) will be seeking extensions next spring. Would the Vikings like to have another talented young CB already on the roster when they start negotiating? Yes. If either of those leave after the 2019 season, would they like to have a 23-year-old CB with 2 years experience with the team ready to step in? Hell yes.
I really think he remains, even if it means keeping 7 CBs. We kept 7 WRs early last year, because we thought Rodney Adams had good future potential and would be claimed if we tried to get him to the PS. (They were right about him being claimed, wrong about his future..) Waive Hill and it's 50-50 he goes unclaimed so he can get to our PS. Keep him and waive Reshard Cliett or whoever, he'll be on the PS without trouble. Hill isn't competing with Newman or even Sherels - he's competing with Cliett, Antoine Williams, Odenigbo, Colby Gossett, etc.
The question of Mac Alexander's health is a big factor. How seriously is he injured?