Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer: Vikings don’t have enough depth at linebacker
The Vikings have at linebacker a three-time Pro Bowl selection on the strong side in Anthony Barr and a guy in the middle in Eric Kendricks who eventually could make a Pro Bowl. 
After that, there’s not a lot. 
The starter at weak-side linebacker is Ben Gedeon, but he played just 24.5 percent of the snaps last year as a rookie because the Vikings usually went to the nickel. 
Among reserves, there’s plenty of inexperience. And one of the most experienced of that bunch, Kentrell Brothers, will miss the first four games of the regular season for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. 
“We don’t have enough depth right now,’’ Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Tuesday of the linebackers. “So that’s what we’re trying to work on, getting more depth at probably a lot of spots.’’ 
Zimmer was asked if the Vikings could make a roster move to address the situation. 
“There’s all kinds of ways to do that,’’ he said...
https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/21/mi...inebacker/

Wow.  That sounds to me like Zim doesn't like Gedeon (among others)... or else he's trying to light a fire under them.

It's a concern...  Gedeon was solid as a rookie, but he has limitations in coverage.  If Barr or Kendricks goes down with an injury, he won't be able to replace what those two guys can do as 3-down LBs.

Brothers looks like a special teams player only, IMO.  Eric Wilson bulked up and looks athletic, but is he a potential starter?  I don't know...  Lots of question marks after Barr and Kendricks.

I think Wilson can eventually become a starter on the outside, Gedeon is a MLB and a poor man's choice for OLB.  Brothers is too slow to play anywhere at LB.
Yep, they don't have much.  I wanted a LB with our #1 pick this year and it's easy to see why now. 

The team will scan the waiver wire in a couple of weeks, but the pickings are going to be slim.  Of the rest, I would only take Downs as someone who should get a PS spot. 

I think concerns about linebacker depth are valid. I think Gedeon is OK, but limited and I do not think he'd be effective in Barr or Kendrick's role. Wilson is much more intriguing and I think would be the one expected to step up if someone got hurt. After that, I thought that Downs has flashed some potential, but everyone else seems more like special teamers. I also worry that we don't have anyone who is really capable of backing up Barr. Wilson comes the closest, but I think we'd have to change things defensively without him, because he has a hard skill set to replicate and our late round fliers on big, ultra athletic LBs have not paid off.

Z has been crabby since the Jaguars game. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
My football side has been crabby since then too lol! 

At some point the team needs to think about the potential of taking an area of depth and trading some assets for starting or depth needs in other personnel groups. 

LB would be one of the need areas right after OL. 

After watching the “rules” game last weekend I doubt the Vikings have enough players on Defense at any position.  Two “physical” tackles could mean ejection of the player and this team prides itself on being physical.

Zim will run out of players before halftime... 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
My football side has been crabby since then too lol! 

At some point the team needs to think about the potential of taking an area of depth and trading some assets for starting or depth needs in other personnel groups. 

LB would be one of the need areas right after OL. 

I am sure they are working things behind the scenes,  but at this point most teams dont have their rosters figured out themselve and neither do the Vikes,  nobody wants to start parting ways with players until they have their own asses covered.  I am betting things will heat up this weekend after the final warm up game for the starters and 2nd team.... and as we get closer to final cutdowns.

Remember the days when a WR playing CB was all the D had.  Gedeon might not be an all pro but he's not terrible either.