Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the roster edge.
Today two publications projected the Vikings 53 man roster: 247sports.com and startribune.com.  So I thought I would highlight what are the roster fights between these two publications with 247 first followed by star tribune:
  • Sloter v. Blake Bell (247 has Sloter on the roster but not Bell and vice versa for ST).
  • Beebe v. K. Wright
  • Odenigho v. Weatherly
  • Downs v. Williams/Cliett (247 kept 5 LBs and kept Downs; ST kept 6 LBs and Downs was waived while keeping Williams and Cliett)
  • H. Hill v. Williams/Cliett (247 kept an extra DB (Hill) instead of having 6 LBs like ST).
I think this really does sum up the 5 roster decisions left to be made.  I think I agree with keeping Sloter, Beebe and Odenigho.  I would probably keep Downs and Williams for the last two positions on the roster.  But it is still early.

BTW, both had Roc making the team over Boone.

I have a little different perspective on these edge roster decisions. Rather than defining A vs. B or "we need x number at this position", I think the team usually identifies about 46-48 players who are definite, and then there is a pool of 12+ players who they would like to have either on the roster or practice squad, primarily for depth: they won't play unless we have injuries. If they can get to the PS, those players are most likely going to be available during the season if the Vikings need them due to injury. 

I think the Vikings will look at most of the fringe players, and their primary question will not be something like "Is Odenigbo better than Weatherly" or "who are our 8 best defensive linemen?" Instead, they look at that group of approximately 12 and say, "Who can we waive and get to the practice squad, and who will likely get claimed?"

So consider all these:
Ryan Sloter
Roc Thomas
Mike Boone
Kendall Wright
Chad Beebe
Brandon Zylstra
Blake Bell
Tyler Conklin
Colby Gossett
Tashawn Bower
Ifeadi Odenigbo
Stephen Weatherly
Devante Downs
Reshard Cliett
Antwione Williams
Holton Hill
Marcus Sherels
Terence Newman
Jayron Kearse (since adding Iloka, if Sendejo remains)

Not all of these will be in the "fringe pool", because some are going to win a secured spot: Thomas or Boone will be the #3 RB, Bell or Conklin the #3 TE, etc., so this list will be shorter in a week.

But I really think they would keep only 5 LBs on the starting day roster if they are pretty certain they can get both Cliett and Williams to the PS...or, if that is more likely than getting Holton Hill through waivers.

IMO that is why we sometimes see apparent imbalances on the roster, like 7 WRs to start the season last year. It might lead to 10 DL or 7 CBs this year. If they think Sloter will get claimed but Blake Bell will not - or that Bell is just another guy and they can find his equivalent easily - why keep Bell just to have 4 TEs?

Adding a third site's 53 man projection: http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2018/08/a-way-too-early-vikings-53-man-roster.html

Here are the differences:
  • Sloter in, Bell out.
  • Boone over Roc
  • 5 receivers with Beebe and Zylstra over Wright and Coley
  • 10 OL adding Josh Andrews 
  • 10 DL keeping Odenigho and Weatherly
  • 5 LB keeping Cliett over Downs and Williams
  • 7 CB keeping Hill
  • 3 Safeties cutting Kearse (this is pre-Iloka projection)

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I have a little different perspective on these edge roster decisions. Rather than defining A vs. B or "we need x number at this position", I think the team usually identifies about 46-48 players who are definite, and then there is a pool of 12+ players who they would like to have either on the roster or practice squad, primarily for depth: they won't play unless we have injuries. If they can get to the PS, those players are most likely going to be available during the season if the Vikings need them due to injury. 
I agree with the basic premise but I think there are a bunch of factors that go into the determination of the final 5-7 players to make the roster.  Here are the factors:  (a) I do believe you need a minimum number of players for each position -- for instance, I think there are four solid linebackers on the current roster but I think the minimum number for the 53 man roster is 5.  So, on your list you have Cliett and Williams -- absent a trade -- one of those are making the 53.  (b) Special Teams play.  Kendall Wright is not eligible for the PS; Beebe is.  However, I think you keep Beebe on the 53 because of his ability to play special teams.  I think ST plays an important role in determining the bottom of the roster and we have a player who exemplifies that concept: Sherels.  In some ways, you have to think about a couple of the bottom 12 as actual starters, but on special teams.  © Future potential: there are players you carry on the 53 based upon their potential -- Sloter is a perfect example (this point you largely make above).  It some ways it is like the draft where you project who will fall to you and who you would need to move up to take.  Who will pass through to the practice squad and who will be snapped up.