Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Scouting Other Teams For O Line Help

I just want preseason to be over. Its such an injury-fest each year for most teams. Deflating instead of building excitement. 

lol at this point id say the vikings are currently looking at current and former walmart workers for OL help. 

Looking at a Tackle, in the story???

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I just want preseason to be over. Its such an injury-fest each year for most teams. Deflating instead of building excitement. 
i dont receall there ever being as many injuries in the past as we have now.  is this a matter of the information age just getting more information to us?  is this an issue with the human bodies being taken closer to their breaking points through strength training than in the past?  Or is this an issue that stems from the softer offseason workouts and the players losing somthing in the process?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
i dont receall there ever being as many injuries in the past as we have now.  I this a matter of the information age just getting more information to us?  is this an issue with the human bodies being taken closer to their breaking points through strength training than in the past?  Or is this an issue that stems from the softer offseason workouts and the players losing somthing in the process?
Good questions for sure. 

Wolfson speculates that the Vikings might still be interested in Michael Schofield, whom they tried to sign after he was waived by Denver early last season. Former 3rd rounder, with San Diego now after signing two year contract last spring. Would require a trade.

Schofield is a fringe starter/backup with experience at all positions but center. Played left tackle in the Super Bowl for Denver, but sounds like his best position is right guard. Long arms, OK athleticism. Sounds like a player whose ability is similar to that of Remmers or Compton. 

Maybe. But with Easton and now Andrews gone, I think what the Vikings need more is maybe a center/guard type.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Wolfson speculates that the Vikings might still be interested in Michael Schofield, whom they tried to sign after he was waived by Denver early last season. Former 3rd rounder, with San Diego now after signing two year contract last spring. Would require a trade.

Schofield is a fringe starter/backup with experience at all positions but center. Played left tackle in the Super Bowl for Denver, but sounds like his best position is right guard. Long arms, OK athleticism. Sounds like a player whose ability is similar to that of Remmers or Compton. 

Maybe. But with Easton and now Andrews gone, I think what the Vikings need more is maybe a center/guard type.
Elf is supposed to be back today so thats a plus in the interior dept,  and with Collins kicking inside perhaps they are happy there and looking to replace him on the outside?

honestly... i was watching my phone yesteday halfway expecting a call from the 651 area code.   :p

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
i dont receall there ever being as many injuries in the past as we have now.  is this a matter of the information age just getting more information to us?  is this an issue with the human bodies being taken closer to their breaking points through strength training than in the past?  Or is this an issue that stems from the softer offseason workouts and the players losing somthing in the process
I've heard coaches complain about less of off season workouts. Limiting practices is a good way to have guys unprepared. These guys workout all year. However trainers know best what kind of workout prepares you best. There's alot to be said about your 1st statement. These guys have more strength then ever before. However joints, tendons and bones can't be built any bigger. 

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
i dont receall there ever being as many injuries in the past as we have now.  is this a matter of the information age just getting more information to us?  is this an issue with the human bodies being taken closer to their breaking points through strength training than in the past?  Or is this an issue that stems from the softer offseason workouts and the players losing somthing in the process
I've heard coaches complain about less of off season workouts. Limiting practices is a good way to have guys unprepared. These guys workout all year. However trainers know best what kind of workout prepares you best. There's alot to be said about your 1st statement. These guys have more strength then ever before. However joints, tendons and bones can't be built any bigger. 
i dont know that I am going to say trainers know best,  they know how to most efficiently add on the weight and muscle,  but they can be leading guys down wrong paths.  remember a few years ago we had a string of torn pecs or what ever it was... seemed like more than a coinincidence to have multiple guys tear the same muscle in a year,  and they switched weight guys and the issue stopped.  We had a local fitness professional leading a strength program for high school athletes around the region... we never saw more knee injuries in sports across the region than we did the 2 years he was working these kids out.  I have nothing more than my gut to say it was him,  but it seemed pretty strange that most the kids who suffered those injuries during the school sports were taking his program,  and it wasnt a huge number of kids in his programs comparatively speaking.

Think back 20 years at the exercises that were so common place and now they say to avoid them... leg extensions anyone?