Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer has a man-crush on CB Mike Hughes
I've never heard Z gush on a DB like he has Hughes. "Kind of what sets him apart athletically is he's got unbelievable break and quickness coming out of the cut. His feet are unbelievable. This kid has been really good at understanding our secondary scheme". On getting him first team reps: 'I want to see how he reacts. I want to see how MacKenzie reacts'.

That is strong praise from the ol' football coach. This kid might be a big-timer in this scheme as a rookie in the slot. 

Vikings first-rounder Hughes impresses Zimmer, takes first-team reps
If the Minnesota Vikings’ staff and front office made a list of players they hoped would stand out during the opening preseason game against the Denver Broncos, Mike Hughes would have been at or near the top on the defensive side.
Coming in with the second team, the 2018 first-round cornerback played well, blanketing his receivers in coverage and jumping into the backfield off the edge for a run stuff. He was targeted just once in Denver’s passing game in 17 coverage snaps.

His reward for a good night’s work: Reps with the first team during Tuesday’s practice.
“It was part of the plan, I said ‘just give him some,'” head coach Mike Zimmer said. “I want to see how he reacts, I want to see how Mackensie [Alexander] reacts, I want to see how he interacts with the other guys.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...team-reps/

So it's Alexander that the Vikes end up trading prior to the start of the season for offensive line help....

“Number one, all he’s done is come in and worked,” Zimmer said. “Number two, he’s been really good at understanding a lot of [concepts]. Our scheme is a lot of man within zones. That’s the most difficult thing for these guys to do. They have to do pass-offs, they gotta carry, they gotta work in-and-outs with linebackers and different things and he’s done a really good job with that.”

“I think he’s just a pretty smart kid and things happen quick for him,” Zimmer added.
Hughes is also physically gifted. At the NFL Combine, he ranked in the 84th percentile or higher in the broad jump, 3-cone drill and bench press.
“What sets him apart is he has unbelievable break and quickness coming out of cuts, his feet are unbelievable,” Zimmer said.
Zimmer isn’t the only one who has been impressed with Hughes’ progress. During an interview Saturday night with the broadcast’s sideline reporter, star corner Xavier Rhodes talked about the progress the Vikings’ rookie has made.
“Mike comes out of his break nice,” Rhodes said. “His eyes are right. He’s not looking back at the quarterback, he’s breaking on the ball, getting picks, knocking balls down. To me honestly, he plays like he’s been in the league before and I think years down the road he’s going to be one of the best in the league.”

Dayum, you might be spot on Sticky. This kid looks like his ceiling may be elite the way players and coaches are talking. 

I said after the draft that if Hughes didn't start at nickel this year he was a wasted pick because you don't draft first rounders to sit on the bench.  Looks like I may have some crow coming.  Pass the BBQ sauce please... :p

Quote: @"RS Express" said:
I said after the draft that if Hughes didn't start at nickel this year he was a wasted pick because you don't draft first rounders to sit on the bench.  Looks like I may have some crow coming.  Pass the BBQ sauce please... :p
There's a fair chance that a late first round OL would have sat on the bench, QBs do it all the time.  The notion that first rounder means immediate starter is for teams with shitty rosters and an overall lack of talent.  In any given year there are only a handful of picks that honestly should start year one but many are forced to do so early out of team need.

And he gets that one on one coaching that Rhodes and Waynes have gotten. Hughes is always ready for coach after a play. He is talking and working with Rhodes a lot as well. The interview with Rhodes during the first preseason game showed some love for Hughes. He is smart, hard working and physically gifted. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Quote: @"RS Express" said:
I'll be sitting at the table right next to you.  I was not a fan of the pick, especially considering his character concerns and drafting another CB high over positions of greater need IMO.  Really glad to see it's working out so far.

Now if only Treadwell would ever start producing, I'd be happy to take my seat at an all-you-can-eat crow buffet. 

What makes these pre sesson comments on a rookie special, is that Zim doesnt heap on praise lightly. If he is not impresssed, he is quick to point it out & this is no standard coach speak talking about thingd to build on...

He sounds like a kid with a new toy
& he is just the coach to reckognize what he has & knows how to utilize and bring him along fast