Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh Brother, Denver Post
Go ahead. You tell John Elway he stinks at picking quarterbacks. I’m afraid to do it. 
So let’s keep this just between us: Did the Broncos make a $10 million mistake by refusing to spend what it took to sign Kirk Cousins as a free agent? Was it penny wise and pound foolish to hire Case Keenum
Cousins is a more gifted quarterback than Keenum. Period. 
If Cousins’ superiority over Keenum wasn’t immediately obvious and validated Saturday night, when Minnesota beat Denver 42-28, then why do they charge admission to these exhibition games? 
It took only a single series for Cousins to lead a touchdown drive against Denver. Four passes, four completions, 150.0 quarterback rating. Easy. Peasy. Cousins demonstrated elite arm talent that can cause a helpless defender to mutter to himself in frustration on a 28-yard throw to Stefon Diggs
Keenum looked like a journeyman. Yes, he played only six snaps. But the Broncos went nowhere. The chains never moved. One completion in four attempts. A misfire on third down to Courtland Sutton
“We never got into a rhythm …  It definitely left me wanting more,” said Keenum, who itched for another trip to the Denver huddle before retiring to the sideline for the evening. Know what? If Vance Joseph were truly a changed man, the coach would have demanded Keenum and the No. 1 offense get back out there to get it right. 
“Self-inflicted wounds,” Joseph said. “We didn’t start fast. They did.” 
Sound familiar? The Broncos looked like the same unprepared team they were in Joseph’s rookie season as head coach. 
When it came to throwing the football, Elway was a Hall of Famer. But when it comes to picking quarterbacks? Elway’s not so hot. Prime example: Paxton Lynch
The hapless first-round pick from the 2016 draft got booed off the field by Denver fans at halftime. Lynch’s first throw of the night was an interception. He was badly outplayed by Trevor Siemian, traded to Minnesota by Elway. To think Lynch has a job in the NFL and Colin Kaepernick does not is an insult to the game. How soon before the Broncos begin making calls to find a viable veteran backup to Keenum? 
If Elway really, truly believed the Broncos were one QB away from Super Bowlcontention, it’s hard to fathom him choosing Keenum over Cousins. 
Game knows game. There’s a reason linebacker Von Miller lobbied the Broncos to pursue Cousins, after he dropped touchdown passes on Denver in December. And there’s a reason the Vikings allowed Keenum to walk as a free agent, because despite the “Minnesota Miracle” touchdown pass, his play was subpar during the playoffs, with a 73.5 quarterback rating. 
But there’s more to this equation than comparing the touchdown-to-interception ratios of Keenum and Cousins. The Vikings are spending $28 million this season on Cousins, while Keenum is costing the Broncos “only” $18 million. 
One of the most common mistakes we all make is to view pro sports as being governed by the rules we remember on the playground. Minnesota picked Cousins over Keenum, so that must have been a slap to the journeyman quarterback who stepped in last season and led the Vikings to the NFC championship game. 
“No, I love those guys,” Keenum said last week, when asked if he harbored any animosity toward the Vikings. 
And you know what? He should love the Vikings. They made it possible for a quarterback who had never been able to hold a steady job to strike it rich on the eve of his 30th birthday. Elway is paying Keenum nine times what he earned last year in Minnesota. 
Keenum will be the first to tell you he is not Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. The Broncos, however, are just happy he’s not Brock Osweiler
No opinon, just stats: The QBs that Elway didn’t want — Cousins, Siemian and Kyle Sloter — completed 24 for 32 passes for 276 yards and four touchdowns. Keenum and Lynch, the quarterbacks that Elway has given the opportunity to succeed, completed seven of 15 passes for 29 yards. 
What Keenum firmly established before taking the first snap of the exhibition season was that Miller and his teammates on the defensive side of the football now have a quarterback they can work with rather than a quarterback they must try to overcome. 
What Keenum has yet to prove is if he can inspire the confidence to move Denver away from the painfully conservative offensive scheme the Broncos used to win Super Bowl 50. If the offensive line can be trusted to protect Keenum, then Demaryius Thomas, Courtland Sutton, Emmanuel Sanders and Jake Butt give Denver the weapons to think pass first. 
The 30 points per game recently predicted by cornerback Chris Harris is a pipe dream, but if the Broncos can average 25 per game with Keenum, they will almost certainly win the AFC West. 
The Broncos could go from 5-11 to the playoffs with Keenum as their quarterback. That’s good. 
The Vikings could get fitted with Super Bowl rings with Cousins as their quarterback. That’s as good as it gets. 
You get what you pay for. 
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/11/jo...rk-kiszla/

Thanks for that tasty slice of schadenfreude before bed time 

I posted this on the board early yesterday morning. Its really laughable, honestly. Case threw 4 passes. He barely played. Its preseason. The Broncos media is hyper sensitive to the QB position after Manning retired. And as Keenum pointed out afterward, they were playing the number 1 defense in the NFL. 

Its easy for us Viking fans to be magnanimous right now because the team looked good Saturday night. But they could easily look a lot worse this Saturday against Jacksonville. The shoe could be on the other foot. It depends what Minnesota wants to accomplish and conversely, what the Jaguars want to do. Its vanilla the preseason. Honestly, I think both defenses are going to want to show who has the bigger $%^& during practices and the game. Fingers crossed for no injuries as I think it gets chippy at some point.

Pre-season hyperbole never gets old. Why do they keep score. We are going 5-11. Article is correct that Case isn't on a level with Kirk. Case doesn't have elite arm talent. Everyone knew that before. He does play hard. He looked like total garbage his against the Steelers for us last year. Then elite against the Bucs. Then settled nicely into adequate for most the season. But always worked hard. That is Case. Give him some time Denver. He might grow on you. He did me. Kirk won't need time to grow. I already like that decision.

Journalism... is dead.  The fact that this guy has a job with the Denver Post shows that they don't employ him for his writing skills but rather his ability to generate clicks.  Absurd.

Quote: @pumpf said:
Journalism... is dead.  The fact that this guy has a job with the Denver Post shows that they don't employ him for his writing skills but rather his ability to generate clicks.  Absurd.
?

So it’s fake news that Keenum & the O sucked ? Are those alternative facts/stats ?

Yes,yes,yes, it’s preseason ( can we sticky that phrase?) but I think Zim was right and that horseshoe is worn out

If I was a Bronco fan, I would “click” on tat article as they may have big problems & the author used a great angle due to yhe exchangevof QB’s betweeen teams this off season, & the fact the guy in charge is a HOF QB himself

The largest chears in the stafium saturday night were for Mr Irrelevant

It’s not the end of democracy when a beat reporter writes an article...

This is just a snotty hit piece reminiscent of Barreiro, Zulgad...and who was that guy from the 90s? Dark Star? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
This is just a snotty hit piece reminiscent of Barreiro, Zulgad...and who was that guy from the 90s? Dark Star? 
I don’t get it ? Why a hit piece ? There was a great angle to the story.
Some major decisions were made on both teams concerning the most important position. Both teams exchanged QB’s & they faced each other.Time will tell who made the right call, but it is interesting as hell for fans, especislly with Elway being an ex HOF QB.
All season long Zim was leary of Keenums ride & they made the big decision to move on and pay for more. Broncos felt Keenum was good enough. I find that intruiging.

& I think Dsrk Star was a late night radio guy & not a paprr reporter
Speaking of which...any chance of a spell check here ? Normally my fat fingers are compensated by the inter webs.

If Case would have came out on fire & our Trio of QB’s stunk, the artivle may have been about how sly Elway was...

I personally think our FO made some hard decisions at that position that are looking pretty good

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
@MaroonBells said:
Some major decisions were made on both teams concerning the most important position. Both teams exchanged QB’s & they faced each other.Time will tell who made the right call, but it is interesting as hell for fans, especislly with Elway being an ex HOF QB.
All season long Zim was leary of Keenums ride & they made the big decision to move on and pay for more. Broncos felt Keenum was good enough. I find that intruiging.

Speaking of which...any chance of a spell check here ? Normally my fat fingers are compensated by the inter webs.

If Case would have came out on fire & our Trio of QB’s stunk, the artivle may have been about how sly Elway was...

I personally think our FO made some hard decisions at that position that are looking pretty good

It was a preseason game. Nobody wanted us to replace Keenum more than I did, but anyone who calls into question offseason moves based on a few passes in the 1st preseason game is just poking the wasp nest. 

As far as Dark Star goes, he had a column somewhere. I've never lived in Minnesota or listened to Minnesota sports radio. 

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
@MaroonBells said:

I certainly agree with the writer being frustrated with Elways approach to free agents. His own or otherwise. John picks a number that he feels is the right amount to pay a guy. If it goes higher he moves on. The difference between Case and Kirk being only $10 million seems like Kirk will get you that much ROI wise.  Maybe this time he out thunk himself.
Edit: Case's contract is easily a one and done if John don't like it. That's import to Elway as well.