Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denver Post: 'Keenum looks like journeyman QB'
One. Preseason. Game. LOL..... The media is really something else. Viking's fans will get a kick out of this story:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/11/jo...rk-kiszla/

I can understand it though.  Bronco fans know they're watching what was a SB-worthy defense (it already won them one while Peyton's arm was falling off) be wasted while Elway hasn't gotten even average QB play since.

Osweiler bailed and ran to Houston.

Paxton Lynch  in the 1st round... fail.

Simien stopgap, bring Osweiler back: hello 5-11

On top of that, Keenum was a journeyman before 2017, so a lot of Bronco fans/press have to be wondering whether Minnesota 2017 or Houston/Rams is the "real" Keenum.  When the first view they have of Keenum is of going 1-5, the warning lights go off.

He will get better,  but he still is what he is and that's at best an average QB in this league who makes some poor decisions with the ball and dosent have the arm strength to get away with it.. ..but they didn't have to break the bank to get him and he will make them competitive as long as his supporting cast carries the water.

Keenum will play better than he did last night, but it was glaringly obvious that Cousins looked much sharper in the team's first live action.  That dart to Diggs down the sideline was a tight window throw and he put it in there perfectly.

Credit the Vikings defense a great bit.  They were swarming.

Huge overreaction, yes, but what Bronco fans should be pissed about is keeping Lynch over Sloter. It's mystifying why they keep giving him chances when it's clear he can't play. Might be the worst QB on an NFL roster right now. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Huge overreaction, yes, but what Bronco fans should be pissed about is keeping Lynch over Sloter. It's mystifying why they keep giving him chances when it's clear he can't play. Might be the worst QB on an NFL roster right now. 
Eric Wilson lit him up after a pass and it took a bit for him to get up.

Yup, Paxton Lynch was baaaad. Chad Kelly played a lot better than he did, albeit against weaker competition. I think he'll be this year's Broncos savior in replace of Sloter. Man, Sloter was pumped up on his 2 TDs. It meant a lot to him to come back to Denver and hang some points on them.

I really was a Case fan last year. But that flame cooled in the playoff's. And yes the D got gassed post-season too, so it's not all on him.

But this resonated with me...

Game knows game. There’s a reason linebacker Von Miller lobbied the Broncos to pursue Cousins, after he dropped touchdown passes on Denver in December. And there’s a reason the Vikings allowed Keenum to walk as a free agent, because despite the “Minnesota Miracle” touchdown pass, his play was subpar during the playoffs, with a 73.5 quarterback rating. But there’s more to this equation than comparing the touchdown-to-interception ratios of Keenum and Cousins. The Vikings are spending $28 million this season on Cousins, while Keenum is costing the Broncos “only” $18 million. 
One of the most common mistakes we all make is to view pro sports as being governed by the rules we remember on the playground. Minnesota picked Cousins over Keenum, so that must have been a slap to the journeyman quarterback who stepped in last season and led the Vikings to the NFC championship game. 
“No, I love those guys,” Keenum said last week, when asked if he harbored any animosity toward the Vikings. 
And you know what? He should love the Vikings. They made it possible for a quarterback who had never been able to hold a steady job to strike it rich on the eve of his 30th birthday. Elway is paying Keenum nine times what he earned last year in Minnesota. 
Keenum will be the first to tell you he is not Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. The Broncos, however, are just happy he’s not Brock Osweiler

I'd like to thank John Elway. I am happy for Keenum getting paid. It was exciting to see Sloter celebrating. It's funny that Minnesota has 2 former Denver QBs. Lynch was putrid. The article is definitely an overreaction at this point.