Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any updates on CF 4 HOF?
Tom, as it's HOF time of year again I am wondering if there is anything to share on the efforts to promote Chuck for canton?

For any that are unaware Tom and his son have done a ton of work behind the curtains to promote a Viking great that has been wrongly overlooked for the pro football HOF.  Chuck Foreman is definitely worthy of the honor.  Don't believe me?  Maybe Tom will share his amazing efforts again sometime. Definitely worth the read and watch.

I'm also curious if Chuck has found a new home to spend camp selling his wares and visiting with fans.  Anybody that's been to camp seen Chuck set up any where?

Interesting that NFL.com has an article noting what player from each team deserves HoF consideration.  Here is their blurb on the Vikings -- no mention of Foreman:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Matt Blair, LB, 1974-1985. I could go in many directions here, but I feel Blair is the right choice. He played 12 seasons in Minnesota, competing in two Super Bowls and six Pro Bowls along the way. Blair developed into one of the game's most versatile linebackers in the 1970s. Where No. 59 in purple and white really shined, however, was on special teams. Stat of the day: Blair has been credited with an unofficial 20 blocked kicks, third-most in NFL history. Goodnight. And to think, people got all lathered up about Kam Chancellor leaping over the line to block one kick. Other Vikings worth mentioning: Ahmad Rashad, Jim Marshall, Ed White.

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:
Interesting that NFL.com has an article noting what player from each team deserves HoF consideration.  Here is their blurb on the Vikings -- no mention of Foreman:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Matt Blair, LB, 1974-1985. I could go in many directions here, but I feel Blair is the right choice. He played 12 seasons in Minnesota, competing in two Super Bowls and six Pro Bowls along the way. Blair developed into one of the game's most versatile linebackers in the 1970s. Where No. 59 in purple and white really shined, however, was on special teams. Stat of the day: Blair has been credited with an unofficial 20 blocked kicks, third-most in NFL history. Goodnight. And to think, people got all lathered up about Kam Chancellor leaping over the line to block one kick. Other Vikings worth mentioning: Ahmad Rashad, Jim Marshall, Ed White.
its hard to argue against the stats and comparisons that Tom has compiled.  Chuck is getting a little bit of a raw deal as the team is always putting somebody ahead of him,  not that they all arent deserving,  but Chuck kind of revolutionized the position the way he played in terms of being a powerful back with good hand and being able to block.... and still has numbers up there or greater than many of the same era that are already in the HOF.

My personal choice would be Marshall 1st. Its funny that I've heard some in the media when discussing all time great lines always get around to the Purple People Eaters. Rightfully so. However wrongfully many of them same say Page, Eller and Marshall are all in the Hall. It's been so long some just assume it happened years ago. Chuck was a revolutionary back for his time.  Unfortunately many who choose only look at how many 1000 yard seasons. Forman only had a couple. Not all purpose yards or percentage of the offense they were. It's never been easy for any Viking it seems. Some waited too long and some are now forgotten. Matt Blair fits that failure of timely recognition as well.

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:

Joey Browner s/b on that list as well, Imo.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:

Joey Browner s/b on that list as well, Imo.
Safety is a position sorely unrepresented in the Hall. Browner would be a good one. John Lynch would be another. I wonder why so few safeties ever get in.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
My personal choice would be Marshall 1st. Its funny that I've heard some in the media when discussing all time great lines always get around to the Purple People Eaters. Rightfully so. However wrongfully many of them same say Page, Eller and Marshall are all in the Hall. It's been so long some just assume it happened years ago. Chuck was a revolutionary back for his time.  Unfortunately many who choose only look at how many 1000 yard seasons. Forman only had a couple. Not all purpose yards or percentage of the offense they were. It's never been easy for any Viking it seems. Some waited too long and some are now forgotten. Matt Blair fits that failure of timely recognition as well.
Agree, Marshall 1st.
Absolutely ridiculous he's not already in.

Forman 2nd, he re-defined the role of the RB as a pass catching threat

The problem with Foreman's HOF resume is that he basically had a 5-year career, fell off a cliff at age 28, averaged only 3.8 ypc for his career, and is 91st in career rushing yards.  Compared to contemporaries Payton, Dorsett, Harris, Riggins, OJ, Campbell, and even Csonka, Foreman is a blip to non-Viking fans. 

Or, ignoring era and going purely by numbers, there are 11 HOF-eligible RB's with 10,000+ rushing yards that aren't in yet.  Foreman has a whopping 5,950.  Roger Craig has 8,000+ rushing yards, nearly 5,000 receiving, and 3 SB rings, and he's not in.  If Chuck Foreman gets in the HOF, they'll have to build a new wing for all the RB's that got in ahead of him.

Totally agree that Marshall should already be in.  

Quote: @"RS Express" said:
The problem with Foreman's HOF resume is that he basically had a 5-year career, fell off a cliff at age 28, averaged only 3.8 ypc for his career, and is 91st in career rushing yards.  Compared to contemporaries Payton, Dorsett, Harris, Riggins, OJ, Campbell, and even Csonka, Foreman is a blip to non-Viking fans. 

Or, ignoring era and going purely by numbers, there are 11 HOF-eligible RB's with 10,000+ rushing yards that aren't in yet.  Foreman has a whopping 5,950.  Roger Craig has 8,000+ rushing yards, nearly 5,000 receiving, and 3 SB rings, and he's not in.  If Chuck Foreman gets in the HOF, they'll have to build a new wing for all the RB's that got in ahead of him.

Totally agree that Marshall should already be in.  
The problem is you can't ignore era,  in his era Foreman was a monester in many different ways.  It was his play  that made that Vikings offense work.  He was the threat and was damn dominant in his time.  Think about how his style revolutionized the position for future offenses and RBs. 

I hope Tom finds time to repost the numbers as I was sceptical of his worth init all myself.  I knew he was a special player for Vikings fans of that era but his numbers are right there with his contemporaries in that era except longevity.  Why does 1 stat determine HOF worth?  And rings should in no way dictate HOF worth because there are plenty of guys out there with rings,  hardly a mark of excellence...must ask anybody that ever dogged TJACK or Poder
..or go watch any trent dilfer tape.  :p