Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB Evolution
In Cincinnati Zimmer was the DC when the Bengals drafted one of the worst MLBs in coverage I've ever seen in Rey Maualuga. He was a run stuffer, pure and simple. And only had 4 career sacks.

He was also there when the team took a flyer on Vontaze Burfict, a bad person on the field but an unquestionable every down talent. Who only has 8.5 sacks in 6 years.

In Minnesota he now has a true every down MLB in Kendricks, who already has 7.5 sacks in just 3 seasons.

And then there's Barr. Every down player. 10.5 sacks in 4 years. So he's outpaced either guy Mike had on some damn good Defenses in Cincinnati.

There's a decent amount of criticism here about Barr's lack of splash plays. And yet he's been splashier than the proven performers Zimmer had in the past.  And it's rather obvious that Mike has not typically relied on big sack numbers from his LBs.

Zimmer has evolved in what he looks for in LBs since he the moment he arrived in Minnesota. I know many are crushing over career under achiever Sheldon Richardson and would prefer the team keep room to resign him. Even though he didn't do much in Seattle last year and they didn't make a serious bid to retain him despite trading their second best WR for him.

Folks, Sheldon plays even half decently this year he's going to want to be the 2nd highest paid 3T behind Donald. And he's yet to justify that he's worth that.

Personally, I think it's nuts that you'd choose not to retain an LB that is on pace to be the most the most productive LB Zimmer has ever had. Yes, finding a great 3T is tough. But Floyd was potentially on his way and TJ was serviceable for a year. And there are a couple of in-house options for Patterson to develop. And I'm not talking about 7th Round Lottery Tickets like Weatherly et al that haven't panned out yet.

Barr is far less replaceable than I think many of you realize. If he wants to break the bank like a 3-4 Rush LB then that changes things. Until I hear that I'm 100% behind getting him locked up even at the expense of the potential that Richardson stays motivated after getting paid.

What Say You?

I think with a year in Zim's defense under the watchful eye of coach Dre, Richardson will be worthy of a big dollar contract...And based on the last two contracts Brez has authored, it'll be a top 10 contract not a bank breaker...

My guess is Barr might still get done this year...we're slightly under 10 million in available cap...In Brez We Trust...

It depends...  Zimmer hasn't really had a "Geno Atkins" for his defense.  Sheldon Richardson has the talent to fill that role and make this defense even better.

I think Barr gets too much criticism for his lack of splash plays as well...  but even Zimmer acknowledges he tends to coast at times and has him working with the DL to help him evolve as a pass rusher.  He said the other day that too many times last year Barr got in certain situations and didn't have a plan to finish off a play to get the sack.

If Barr is fine with a Kendricks type contract, by all means...  Lock him up.  But if he was willing to do that, I think he'd be signed by now.  I just have a hard time paying two LBs in a 4-3 defense 10+ million each on multi-year deals.

Putting aside the players and just focusing on the needs of the Zimmer scheme, it's more important to have a quality 3T than a SLB.  So signing a quality 3T is a priority over an expensive SLB.

Like you said, if Barr's agent wants 3-4 OLB money to sign, I don't believe he'll get it from us.  He will get it from a 3-4 team, though.  Barr's good, it's just he's not worth as much in our 4-3 scheme.

Also, I disagree on Richardson's value.  He never played in a 4-3 before being traded to Seattle after training camp.  He was the best player on that line and got double-teamed constantly, and still made plays.  I predict he's going to have a monster year.

But we shouldn't try to extend him until he puts up some numbers and we see what might be available in the draft.

Why would Seattle trade their second best Receiver for Richardson and them not try harder to retain him?

He's exactly the kind of piece you start to rebuild your Defense around on paper.  Is Seattle's  FO incompetent? Or was seeing him for one year enough to convince them they made a mistake trading for him?

Richardson has some flags but has top potential.  Ive made clear for a long time Barr is not my fav player although i do recognize his skillset. easily reading between the lines “its on them”, tells me he wants something close to Von Miller and i do not in any way see that happening.  Even Zims quote about him “not having a plan” is to me a nice way of saying stop taking effing plays off.   If Barr would make a few more splashes and get his nose dirty on Josh  Sitton or Lane Taylors jersey, id be willing to have a conversation about top LB money. dont see it happening however cause he doesnt seem to be willing to give 100% every whistle

And yet his numbers.have already exceeded any LB Zimmer had in Cincinnati.

I've seen Barr fill.a key role in Mike's system for four years. And yet people want to see how a guy already on his 3rd team that has always been more hype tham production does instead of paying Barr.

Different players need to be motivated in different ways. For Anthony it's getting critiqued by Mike in the media. Who's to say Hunter or Diggs don't get the same tough love but only behind closed doors.

And the whole splash plays complaint just makes no sense when you look at how Zimmer uses his LBs. They fake the blitz far more often than they actually bring it.

So is Anthony supposed to ignore the call from the sideline and blitz any way so he can improve his sack numbers? 

Won't matter. Mike will get Everson some rest this year by having Barr put his hand on the dirt. I'm sure there will be NASCAR packages were Griff slides into Joseph's spot and Anthony lines up next to him. That should yield more spladh plays.

Again, if he wants 3-4 LB edge rusher money I'm not on board. But the idea many have of waiting to see who plays better between Barr and Richardson makes mo sense to me. Anthony has already proven himself far more than Sheldon has.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
And yet his numbers.have already exceeded any LB Zimmer had in Cincinnati.

I've seen Barr fill.a key role in Mike's system for four years. And yet people want to see how a guy already on his 3rd team that has always been more hype tham production does instead of paying Barr.

Different players need to be motivated in different ways. For Anthony it's getting critiqued by Mike in the media. Who's to say Hunter or Diggs don't get the same tough love but only behind closed doors.

And the whole splash plays complaint just makes no sense when you look at how Zimmer uses his LBs. They fake the blitz far more often than they actually bring it.

So is Anthony supposed to ignore the call from the sideline and blitz any way so he can improve his sack numbers? 

Won't matter. Mike will get Everson some rest this year by having Barr put his hand on the dirt. I'm sure there will be NASCAR packages were Griff slides into Joseph's spot and Anthony lines up next to him. That should yield more spladh plays.

Again, if he wants 3-4 LB edge rusher money I'm not on board. But the idea many have of waiting to see who plays better between Barr and Richardson makes mo sense to me. Anthony has already proven himself far more than Sheldon has.
Do you think Barr will rush as a standup edge or hand down?  Im not seeing him with his hand down but i could very well be mistaken.  

Isn't that why he was working with the D-Line on pass rushing moves?  I might have read too much into that.

But if I'm Zimmer and I don't trust Weatherly, Bowers, Azuna etc. but I still want to get Everson some rest rushing Barr makes sense. Have his LB spot taken by another DB on those downs.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
Why would Seattle trade their second best Receiver for Richardson and them not try harder to retain him?

He's exactly the kind of piece you start to rebuild your Defense around on paper.  Is Seattle's  FO incompetent? Or was seeing him for one year enough to convince them they made a mistake trading for him?
See Percy Harvin swindle