Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O’Neill: Sparano’s emphasis on details will stay with Vikings’ O-line
Offensive lineman Brian O’Neill, a second-round pick from Pittsburgh, only spent a few weeks working with offensive line coach Tony Sparano, who passed away on Sunday.But on Wednesday, the rookie tackle said Sparano’s lessons from Day 1 will stay with him.

“The mindset that it requires to be a successful pro day in and day out,” O’Neill said. “Nobody brought more energy than him. Nobody was more excited to be here than him. That’s something that we’re going to take with us. It takes so much to have a successful offensive line. It takes so much to have even a successful practice, especially against this defense. All the things he taught us in terms of preparing for each day, I think that’s something that’s going to stick with the group and it’s something that even the vets have  passed along in the past couple days.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...gs-o-line/

Extremely early....actually ridiculously so.....but Darren Wolfson said O'Neill has 'shown well'. Not sure what that even means, just passing it on. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Extremely early....actually ridiculously so.....but Darren Wolfson said O'Neill has 'shown well'. Not sure what that even means, just passing it on. 
I know you know this, but a guy like O'Neill is going to look good in shorts. He might be the best athlete the Vikings have ever had on their line. It's when he's in pads trying to keep strong, heavy bodies from pushing him into the lap of his QB when we'll know just how well he's showing. But I'll take good news where I can get it. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
I know you know this, but a guy like O'Neill is going to look good in shorts. He might be the best athlete the Vikings have ever had on their line. It's when he's in pads trying to keep strong, heavy bodies from pushing him into the lap of his QB when we'll know just how well he's showing. But I'll take good news where I can get it. 
Without pads, it is about impossible to judge o-line. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
No doubt. And I know you guys know I didn't mean to insinuate that anything can be gleaned yet. Interesting note: DeFillippo said in today's presser that O'Neill got stronger since May OTAs and he's already been anchoring better than 2 months ago. Maybe that's what Wolfson meant. Better than a kick in the ass, as my Dad used to say.

DeFilippo is an impressive guy to listen to. 40 years old, excellent mind. Zimmer won't be around forever, he's already 62 years old. They have some success together and ol' Zim rides off into the sunset and turn the reigns over to DeFilippo.

@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
No doubt. And I know you guys know I didn't mean to insinuate that anything can be gleaned yet. Interesting note: DeFillippo said in today's presser that O'Neill got stronger since May OTAs and he's already been anchoring better than 2 months ago. Maybe that's what Wolfson meant. Better than a kick in the ass, as my Dad used to say.

DeFilippo is an impressive guy to listen to. 40 years old, excellent mind. Zimmer won't be around forever, he's already 62 years old. They have some success together and ol' Zim rides off into the sunset and turn the reigns over to DeFilippo.
Just myh thoughts, but it is likely that Zimmer is around Minnesota much longer than DeFlippo will be.  Especially if he is as advertised.  Young offensive minds get hired very quickly.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
lol yet every year we rate units going into the season. didnt pff rank our ol as bottom of the barrel?

@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

Man, ANY good news on O'Neill is welcome...My biggest fear is that he's on the 53 man roster and we have to keep an extra OL because he simply isn't ready for this level of play...still wondering how the hell you can judge someone is anchoring better in shorts, but if Flipper says so, who am I to question him?

Vikings rookie Brian O’Neill packing on pounds by eating 6,000 calories a dayNearly every meal for Brian O’Neill lately has been of the all-you-can-eat variety. 
O’Neill was listed at 297 pounds when he was taken by the Vikings in the second round of the NFL draft last April out of Pittsburgh. That’s actually light for an NFL tackle, especially one standing 6-foot-7.
O’Neill has been trying to do something about that. After weighing between 295 and 298 pounds during minicamp in June, he said he gained between six and 10 pounds, depending on when he steps on the scale, in a six-week stretch before Wednesday’s start of training camp. 
“I’m over 300 pounds now,’’ O’Neill said. “That was the goal coming back to camp was to be above 300. For five weeks, I was back at the University of Pittsburgh with our head strength coach and our full-time nutritionist was there. I put down about 6,000 calories a day.’’ 
O’Neill said he had meals at the Pittsburgh football facility, and it was always all you can eat. He took advantage of that.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/26/vikings-rookie-brian-oneill-packing-on-pounds-by-eating-6000-calories-a-day/