Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI.com's Preseason Power Rankings
PRESEASON POWER RANKINGSA way-too-early look at what I think will be the top half of the NFL in 2018. When we put our NFL preview package together, these will be my playoff teams.
16. Seattle Seahawks 2017 record: 9-7
Seattle’s offensive line troubles will continue, but Russell Wilson will keep this team relevant in the post-Boom era.
15. Dallas Cowboys 2017 record: 9-7
I like the Allen Hurns signing. I like the idea of 16 games of Ezekiel Elliott. They still have a top-five offensive line. Is it enough to beat Philadelphia in the NFC East? Probably not.
14. Tennessee Titans 2017 record: 9-7
Adding former Patriots Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler will bring the sort of culture tweak Mike Vrabel is undoubtedly aiming for. Mariota looks ready to turn the corner.
13. Carolina Panthers 2017 record: 11-5
D.J. Moore and Torrey Smith might might might just be the answer for a team that has fallen down at receiver of late. Even if the Panthers are just average, Christian McCaffrey is the tide that lifts all boats.
12. Minnesota Vikings 2017 record: 13-3
I’m not convinced Kirk Cousins is a such a big upgrade over Case Keenum, but he’s got one of the NFL’s best defenses at his back and a pair of stud receivers, something he never sniffed in Washington. Oh, and healthy Dalvin Cook too.
11. Kansas City Chiefs 2017 record: 10-6
In a wide-open division, the Chiefs and new quarterback Patrick Mahomes are the biggest question mark. Travis Kelce will play a bigger role in this offense than any other tight end with any other NFL team.
10. Green Bay Packers 2017 record: 7-9
The Packers are a top-10 NFL team as long as Aaron Rodgers is healthy and a bottom-10 team when he’s not. Only he and Tom Brady are worth that many wins.
9. San Francisco 49ers 2017 record: 6-10
In a small sample size, Jimmy Garoppolo looked fantastic. There are some brilliant defensive minds in the NFC West, but Kyle Shanahan may just be smarter.
8. Los Angeles Chargers 2017 record: 9-7
My pick to win the AFC West before Hunter Henry tore his ACL; now I’m not so sure. We’ll be calling Joey Bosa football’s best edge rusher after Year 2.
7. Atlanta Falcons 2017 record: 10-6
I really hope these Falcons don’t squander the brilliance of Julio Jones. The pieces are in place—now the play-calling has to catch up.
6. Pittsburgh Steelers 2017 record: 13-3
Studs at QB, RB and WR. As always, New England is the obstacle.
5. Los Angeles Rams 2017 record: 11-5
Adding Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters via trades was a major coup. Will they be Rams for life? Probably not. Will they win a lot of football games in L.A.? Yes.
4. New Orleans Saints 2017 record: 11-5
With Marshon Lattimore, Alvin Kamara, Mark Ingram, Michael Thomas, Cameron Jordan and Sheldon Rankins, this is the most exciting collection of young talent in football. Drew Brees is cool too.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 record: 10-6
The surprise juggernaut of 2017 enters Year 2 with Leonard Fournette and a young defense that believes it can do no wrong. Still giving New England the edge in a matchup with Blake Bortles.
2. New England Patriots 2017 record: 13-3
Nate Solder is a Giant. Danny Amendola is a Dolphin. Dion Lewis is a Titan. Still, do you dare bet against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick? Didn’t think so.
1. Philadelphia Eagles 2017 record: 13-3
There’s no reason to dethrone the champs at this time, especially with a better quarterback replacing the one who gave Philly its first Super Bowl victory.

So we are ranked behind 4 teams that account for 6 of our 14 wins last season. That makes Viking sense.
All we ask for is a little respect...that's exactly how much we get.

6 NFC teams above us? wow. so we are 13-3 last year, upgrade our #1 D and QB situation and are now not even a playoff team... I get how they love GB, but no other explination. garbage.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
So we are ranked behind 4 teams that account for 6 of our 14 wins last season. That makes Viking sense.
For me, the media's rationale for stuff like this is always interesting (one way to put it, I suppose). But here, its an issue of not fully buying into Kirk Cousins and then conversely, all-in on Aaron Rodger's return to the lineup in Green Bay. We'll find out here in not too long.

The part that is puzzling is that IF Cousins 'isn't that much of an upgrade over Keenum', isn't the logic still that the team has improved at the position, even if slightly under this opinion? I think the Rams are being seriously overhyped, although I think they will be a good team. 

So...the top 4 are the same top 4 from last year, except for the Vikings, who drop to 12th after replacing Keenum with Cousins and Tom Johnson with Sheldon Richardson...behind teams like KC with a starting QB who has yet to throw 1 TD in his career....Or maybe it's their 28th ranked defense that makes them so appealing. Also the 49ers come in ahead of the Vikings with Jimmy G at the helm and no receivers. Maybe it's our 3rd string running back they stole from us and that 24th ranked defense that has this writer all hot and bothered.  

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
For me, the media's rationale for stuff like this is always interesting (one way to put it, I suppose). But here, its an issue of not fully buying into Kirk Cousins and then conversely, all-in on Aaron Rodger's return to the lineup in Green Bay. We'll find out here in not too long.

The part that is puzzling is that IF Cousins 'isn't that much of an upgrade over Keenum', isn't the logic still that the team has improved at the position, even if slightly under this opinion? I think the Rams are being seriously overhyped, although I think they will be a good team. 
Yes always interesting and puzzling at the same time. Sadly mostly just hopeful on their part. Say they think Kirk for Case was just a even swap. The team upgraded the Dline and return their starting RB. The tougher schedule angle hardly works for me either. Many of the team on our new tougher schedule are rematches we handled fairly well last season. This is typical, wishful thinking > reality...imo.

I tend to like it better when the Vikings aren't listed as preseason favorites.  Denny Green was the master of playing up the no respect angle.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
I tend to like it better when the Vikings aren't listed as preseason favorites.  Denny Green was the master of playing up the no respect angle.
I think Zimmer would prefer this also. I personally don't care, because Minnesota has ultimately disappointed both being underdogs and favorites, so preseason talk means nothing. Just be a NFC playoff team, maybe with a game or two at U.S. Bank, and lets see what can happen. Be a perennial type team in the playoffs and maybe you can finally break down that Superbowl door.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:

I think the media will want to see Cousins in a new environment before they completely buy in. The truth is that with a new QB and OC there may be a learning curve early in the season that ultimately puts the Vikings in 10-15 range until everything comes together. I can neither agree nor disagree personally since there is literally nothing to base an opinion on at this point. 

I do think it's highly likely there will be a learning curve for the offense. D is going to have to carry the load for a while. 

FSU may be right with the Vikings starting off 2/2;  SF, @ GB, Bills, @ Rams (on a Thursday). I dont want to go 0/2 vs GB and Rams though. 2 teams highly likely to be vying for playoff spots/position vs us.