Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings museum set to open...
From Fran Tarkenton's cleats to leather helmet dear to Bud Grant, Vikings' history showcased in new museum

When the new Vikings Museum opens to the public on July 25, fans can plunk down the $20 admission fee, head over to team headquarters in Eagan and enjoy interactive displays, a 360-degree video theater, classic stories on Bud Grant, Jim Marshall, Fran Tarkenton, Bob Kump …
Wait. Who the heck is Bob Kump?
Well, Bob Kump is none other than the guy who somehow made it out of Met Stadium with the crossbar from the north end zone goal post during the post-game mayhem of Dec. 26, 1976.
“The last NFC Championship game the Vikings ever won,” said Kump, who was 23 when the Vikings beat the Rams that day to reach the last of their four Super Bowls. “That crossbar sat in my garage here for over 40 years. Honest to God, I think I’ve jinxed the Vikings all these years with that thing in my garage. I felt guilty having it, but I didn’t want to throw it away or recycle it.”
Kump found the “perfect solution” when the Vikings decided to get creative with their vision for how to tell the franchise’s history through an expansive museum located on the first floor of the Twin Cities Orthopedics Sports Medicine Center next door to the team’s TCO Performance Center.
“It became clear to us that the story of the Vikings is really a collection of stories about people,” said Erin Swartz, director of brand & creative and the person who spearheaded the museum project that began in 2014. “People gather and then there are these epic moments in our history that draw us all together.”
Swartz and her team have gathered thousands of artifacts and stories. Bob Kump is but one example of the stories that surfaced as Swartz and team archive coordinator Zach Tarrant kept digging.
“You just start going down a rabbit hole,” Swartz said. “You know you need items to tell a story about ‘X.’ You start looking around and pretty soon you meet a guy who tells you he knows a guy. And then that guy knows another guy, and before you know it, you got this web of people.”
http://www.startribune.com/from-fran-tar...488035101/

My wife, kids and I have our tickets for the museum while we are at training camp on the 28th.  I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Anybody know how Bob did get the goal posts out of the stadium?

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
Anybody know how Bob did get the goal posts out of the stadium?
It's in the story link Smile

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
My wife, kids and I have our tickets for the museum while we are at training camp on the 28th.  I'm looking forward to checking it out!
We'll be waiting for a report...Good for you, I'm envious.

So it's  not the  Otis Thorpe  trophy curse  it's been that dam  Bob kump

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

@SFVikingFan said:

Will do, hopefully cameras are allowed so that I can post a bunch of pics.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@purplefaithful said:

@SFVikingFan said:

Will do, hopefully cameras are allowed so that I can post a bunch of pics.
I can't imagine why not. Cellphones have cameras and of course people will take pictures with them. I am taking my camera as well but I have seen nothing that says I can't.

The facility is top shelf. Its really amazing that the Vikings have a newer stadium and this great corporate/practice headquarters. To coincide this opening with the team being so strong and full of potential is perfect for the franchise and the Wilfs. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The facility is top shelf. Its really amazing that the Vikings have a newer stadium and this great corporate/practice headquarters. To coincide this opening with the team being so strong and full of potential is perfect for the franchise and the Wilfs. 

And they've been at it for about 13 now...Bought that team from Red thank god

Going from on the precipice of losing the team to today is quite incredible. 

The stadium was really the catalyst for the infrastructure improvements.

Organizationally, after the TOA shit, Frazier, Childress they finally seem to have the ship righted.