Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowherd: Vikings most likely NFC playoff team to take a step back
I know the guy is not liked on this board and I get why. I happen to like a good portion of his takes, but not all of them. And his most recent is that the NFC is loaded, every year a team or two that was in the playoffs doesn't make it from the year prior and that team could be Minnesota. His theory is that a lot of things fell right for Minnesota, mostly offensively. I agree with that opinion, but not so much that the Vikings will get shut out of the playoffs. 

But his pet theory has some merit in the fact that its basically the genesis of why the Vikings got Kirk Cousins. Its why they moved on from Keenum because they saw some of that luck and throwing into many contested situations on game tape. Its why Zimmer said that Keenum 'has a horseshoe'. Some wonder why Zimmer wouldn't commit to Keenum until late in the year and this is why. Just as many pundits think that Cousins can flourish on the most talented team he's ever been on and Cowherd isn't taking that into consideration. Nor the Dalvin Cook factor. Whether he will or not remains to be seen, he needs to prove it of course. And conversely, I think Keenum will definitely have an inconsistent year in Denver. 

Yes, a lot of things fell right...like losing our QB and RB...jfc... 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
LOL, true. Good point. 

I think sometimes, me included especially with my Vikings, one year isn't enough. I need at least another to show it wasn't a fluke. My logical brain says this team should be even better this year. My emotional fan brain says 'how will they $%^& it up' this season? Stupid brain.  :#

Cowherd is not thee most annoying person on air. I used to listen to him from time to time. His self deprecating stick got old. I get you like to say you're not to smart. Like maybe if you then have a bad show you've lowered expectations. Or something?? We have won 33 games in the last 3 years.  Most without any exceptional QB play. So maybe Cousins doesn't have to be great for us to win. There I took a page right out of the Cowherd play book.

I'm more in the mode of a period of division titles and playoff appearances consistently vs gotta better a 13/3 record.

We've really got the team now that will cause GB to settle for Wildcard games vs division titles for the bulk of Rogers remaining years.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I'm more in the mode of a period of division titles and playoff appearances consistently vs gotta better a 13/3 record.

We've really got the team now that will cause GB to settle for Wildcard games vs division titles for the bulk of Rogers remaining years.  

That's how I feel...  if the offensive line hadn't been annihilated with injuries in 2016, I think the Vikings would have 3 straight division titles and fans (and the media) would have a bit of a different perception of this team heading into 2018.
As far as Cowherd, I like listening to him.  He tries to be edgy at times, but generally I think he makes some pretty good points.  He's no Skip Bayless or Stephen A, that's for sure...   however, I think he's way off base on this particular point. 
If I'm looking for some candidates to fall back in the NFC, I would have the Rams and one of the NFC South teams at the top of my list.  Talk about everything falling right...  the Rams came out of nowhere to win that division in McVay's first year as HC.  Now teams will have a full year of film on Goff in that offense and I question if he can have as much success again this year.  Gurley had a historic season as well...  if he comes back down to earth a bit and is very good, but not great, I think that offense could take a step back.  Can Peters, Talib, and Suh replace what Robert Quinn, Trumaine Johnson, and Alec Ogletree did for that defense?  The NFC South won't be sending 3 teams to the playoffs again this year so at least one of Atlanta, Carolina, or New Orleans will be out of the playoffs.
I think you could even make a case for the Eagles more so than the Vikings.  We don't know how quickly Wentz will be back up to speed and how the ACL injury may affect how he plays.  He might not be as prone to run around and try to extend plays, which is part of what made him so successful last year.  If Wentz struggles in the early part of the year, you might see the Cowboys or Giants become a factor in that division.  Both teams dealt with injuries/suspensions to some key players...  it wouldn't shock me to see either of those teams make a leap this season.
Just my two cents.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
It's shocking how many people don't consider that.

The team I think takes a step back is the Jags. They're media darlings right now with that great defense, and it's pretty awesome, but why is a team helmed by Blake Bortles so consistently ranked in the top 5? They lost Allen Robinson, too.

I'll say this: New Orleans has a killer schedule. If they win 11+ games, watch out. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I'm hearing you. I guess if they finish 1st but with say 12-4 record that would technically be a step back. Falling out of the playoffs would be the big step. It could be anywhere in between. We will see. I see the Rams imploding myself. Had a easy schedule last year. Play a 1st place schedule this year and brought in plenty of cancer to spread around.