Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings may be banking on a better conditioned Rashod Hill in 2018
Vikings may be banking on a better conditioned Rashod Hill in 2018By cutting out late-night supermarket trips and filling dinners at his favorite restaurant, Rashod Hill dropped weight in an effort to be ready for the long haul with the Vikings.If spring practices are any indication, the Vikings are banking on Rashod Hill’s development in 2018.
Hill, the third-year undrafted tackle out of Southern Miss, says he did his part off the football field this offseason. By cutting out late-night trips to Cub and filling dinners at the downtown Capital Grille, Hill dropped 12 pounds in an effort to be ready for the long haul with the Vikings. He says he’s down to 313 pounds after playing at 325 last season.
“That’s a good thing,” Hill said last month during the Vikings’ minicamp to close the spring.
After Hill took nearly every rep as the starting right tackle during the spring, it’s possible he ends up there again Week 1 against the San Francisco 49ers.
Center Pat Elflein’s expected return for training camp this month gives the Vikings flexibility, freeing up Nick Easton to move back to guard and perhaps Mike Remmers back to right tackle. But whether Hill is the starter or the swing tackle (where he began last season), the Vikings want to make sure he’s ready to contribute immediately...
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-may-b...487758681/

Fatigue and movement were slow creeps, Hill admitted, after he surrendered a playoff-high 14 pressures in two games against the Saints and Eagles, according to Pro Football Focus. Reach blocks in the run game were also issues, for instance against the Saints as the Vikings often ran to the left and away from Hill (and Cameron Jordan) in that memorable playoff win. He wasn’t always able to run and ‘reach’ the opposite side of his defender for a successful run block.

“It’s really diet, man,” Hill said. “Leaving them late-night snacks alone. Stop going to Cub and getting snacks and stuff like that. Eating healthier. With the new lunchroom, that’s amazing [in Eagan]. They help me out a lot.”
Cutting out a go-to dinner spot has Hill on track to become the Vikings’ go-to right tackle.
“I had to leave Capital Grille alone,” Hill said. “That’s my spot — the steaks and that lobster mac and cheese. That’s tough.”

Big guys are used to eating a lot, but if you eat all that fatty shit, it will catch up to you. And obviously Hill wasn't working out as hard, as these guys can usually burn it off. I think diet has helped, but I'll wager that he is doing a bit more cardio also in conjunction. I think he's just worked harder this offseason than he ever has. He's got the big, long frame and wide wingspan you want at that position. Fingers crossed that Hill can be consistent at RT this season.

This coincides with him being a RFA next year, of course. Amazing how these guys coincidentally try their hardest the last year of their contracts. Makes me wonder how motivated he'll be on his next contract.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Big guys are used to eating a lot, but if you eat all that fatty shit, it will catch up to you. And obviously Hill wasn't working out as hard, as these guys can usually burn it off. I think diet has helped, but I'll wager that he is doing a bit more cardio also in conjunction. I think he's just worked harder this offseason than he ever has. He's got the big, long frame and wide wingspan you want at that position. Fingers crossed that Hill can be consistent at RT this season.

This coincides with him being a RFA next year, of course. Amazing how these guys coincidentally try their hardest the last year of their contracts. Makes me wonder how motivated he'll be on his next contract.

A lot of these young guys take some time to learn what it takes to make it in the NFL.  That includes how to train and what type of food to put in your body.  Lots of players have extended their careers by learning this.  Hopefully Hill has it figured out because he has the prototypical size, long arms, and good feet to be a starting OT in this league.  He's a much better fit physically at LT or RT than a guy like Remmers.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Vikings may be banking on a better conditioned Rashod Hill in 2018By cutting out late-night supermarket trips and filling dinners at his favorite restaurant, Rashod Hill dropped weight in an effort to be ready for the long haul with the Vikings.If spring practices are any indication, the Vikings are banking on Rashod Hill’s development in 2018.
Hill, the third-year undrafted tackle out of Southern Miss, says he did his part off the football field this offseason. By cutting out late-night trips to Cub and filling dinners at the downtown Capital Grille, Hill dropped 12 pounds in an effort to be ready for the long haul with the Vikings. He says he’s down to 313 pounds after playing at 325 last season.
“That’s a good thing,” Hill said last month during the Vikings’ minicamp to close the spring.
After Hill took nearly every rep as the starting right tackle during the spring, it’s possible he ends up there again Week 1 against the San Francisco 49ers.
Center Pat Elflein’s expected return for training camp this month gives the Vikings flexibility, freeing up Nick Easton to move back to guard and perhaps Mike Remmers back to right tackle. But whether Hill is the starter or the swing tackle (where he began last season), the Vikings want to make sure he’s ready to contribute immediately...
what does Easton being back at LG have to do with Remmers kicking back out to RT?  Sure last year we ran out of Gs which required Remmers to jump inside,  but I sure as hell would hope that once they moved Remmers inside because its his more natural position and not because that somebody thought it would be "necessary" to start the year.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
what does Easton being back at LG have to do with Remmers kicking back out to RT?  Sure last year we ran out of Gs which required Remmers to jump inside,  but I sure as hell would hope that once they moved Remmers inside because its his more natural position and not because that somebody thought it would be "necessary" to start the year.
That was my thought as well. I think Remmers can maybe be a top half guard. He'll never be a top half tackle. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

A lot of these young guys take some time to learn what it takes to make it in the NFL.  That includes how to train and what type of food to put in your body.  Lots of players have extended their careers by learning this.  Hopefully Hill has it figured out because he has the prototypical size, long arms, and good feet to be a starting OT in this league.  He's a much better fit physically at LT or RT than a guy like Remmers.
Yup.  Young guy getting his chance last year learned that poor nutrition was the reason he was wearing down.  Even if it is money driven, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  He isn't going to break the bank after 1 year.  But would certainly be a great find, stolen from the Jags practice squad to starting RT in 2 years?

12 pounds could make quite a bit of difference since each pound is 4 pounds of pressure on the joints. And of course the food choices are important, they will either give you energy or drain you. Hope this helps him. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
The had Isidora at LG.  He could move to RG with Easton back at LG in camp. That would kick Remmers back to RT.

Quote: @"twgerber" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
The had Isidora at LG.  He could move to RG with Easton back at LG in camp. That would kick Remmers back to RT.

i understand the thought process last year,  but that was out of need,  this is a new year and they said Remmers is a guard by design so to suggest him kicking back outside because our starting C and LG are back is ignorant or silly.