Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This season could define Mike Zimmer’s career as a head coach
Mike Zimmer’s last press conference of Minicamp was a reminder of the Good Old Days of his tenure as head coach of the Minnesota Vikings.Zimmer talked for 19 minutes with the same comfort as he would sitting on the back deck in July with charcoal smoke in the air. And despite a salty disposition toward a media he believes turned on him, Zimmer still opened up when asked about perspective he gained reflecting on last season’s collapse.

“It takes awhile to learn how to do this job, it really does,” Zimmer said. “I probably shouldn’t say this, but there’s a guy in New England that’s doing pretty damn good now that might have had a rough start…so that’s kind of my mentality, to continue to grow.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/0...ead-coach/

There’s an argument to be made that 2017 is one of the most important seasons in Vikings history.
Not only are they hosting America’s biggest sporting event and looking to bounce back from an opening season at US Bank Stadium that was wrought with disappointment and Deadspin headlines, but by the end of 2017, the Vikings will also have answers about their quarterback, coach and GM.
After two years of Sam Bradford, we should all have a good feel for whether he’s the long-term quarterback. After four seasons of this coach/GM combination, three of which have come with strong rosters, ownership should know whether they want to continue down this path. There’s a huge difference in the NFL between one playoff appearance and zero wins in four years and two playoff games and the hype of having a shot at playing the Super Bowl at home – even if it’s just for one postseason week.
If this season is like last season, it will sting much more because of the spotlight.
And there’s no patience in the NFL – especially when the team has been built to be a contender over years of drafts and a first-round pick was traded for the starting quarterback.
As dire as that all may sound, success with the Vikings would be as sweet as failure would be devastating. While Zimmer’s 11-5 season already proved that he is able to lead a winning team, he will have an opportunity this season to earn long-term job security and solidify his legacy as the coach who shouldn’t have been overlooked.
The incredible range of potential outcomes for Zimmer and the Vikings in 2017 makes this season and the build up quite fascinating. Over the next month of training camp, we will be looking for any signs pointing in the direction of a return of the Good Old Days or a 2016 redux. Whichever way it goes will shape Zimmer’s future.

I believe a 500 record or worse gets a complete house cleaning.   9 wins is the floor and I expect 10 or better.  It's a huge season for Zimmer.

He'll have to perform this season, that's just the nature of the beast. The injuries last year to the offensive line were unbelievable, but the team has a new stadium and next spring, a new headquarters and practice facility to fill. Zimmer is 61 years old. The writing is on the wall, fair or not. 

Need to run the football this year to take pressure off the defense.

I'm trying to think of a HC who has dealt with more adversity to start his career...its mind numbing...

OK,  so I am surprised that nobody has blasted him for making a reference to his rocky start and belicheats career... just saying, kinda surprises me.

next,  unless things really blow up here,  he will be the HC next year.  IMO it will take a collapse on his part ( not the team,  not injuries, not bad bounces etc) it will take a concrete failure by Zim to be bounced from that job after this coming season.   The players love the guy, even though he is a hard ass, and that means more to me than what some jaded sports writers try to make us believe.  I think even another sub par season with no playoffs we would see him here at least one more year,  another bad sesason and I could see Spielman shown the door,   and perhaps some other positional coaching moves,  but Zim has a bit of equity with the players.

Zimm hasn't gotten much (if any) love from the Football Gods, thats for sure. Do I think he's on the hot seat? Not really. However, I do think he's absolutely on one if the team urps-up again. Regardless of causal. 

I also firmly believe this is a double-digit win roster. They'll hit that unless the Gods decide to smite the Vikings down again. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
OK,  so I am surprised that nobody has blasted him for making a reference to his rocky start and belicheats career... just saying, kinda surprises me.

next,  unless things really blow up here,  he will be the HC next year.  IMO it will take a collapse on his part ( not the team,  not injuries, not bad bounces etc) it will take a concrete failure by Zim to be bounced from that job after this coming season.   The players love the guy, even though he is a hard ass, and that means more to me than what some jaded sports writers try to make us believe.  I think even another sub par season with no playoffs we would see him here at least one more year,  another bad sesason and I could see Spielman shown the door,   and perhaps some other positional coaching moves,  but Zim has a bit of equity with the players.
Well, he didn't compare himself to Belicheck, he just mentioned it takes time to learn how to be a head coach.  So I don't have an issue with the reference.  But yes, it is surprising that some haven't taken up that banner.

I agree on him being the HC next year.  Learning the nuances of the position aside, I think he is a great HC.  He is a hard ass, but he is honest and true with his players, so they love him.  Coaches like that don't come around often. 

I'd be absolutely shocked if Zimmer if anywhere near being on a hot seat.  Zimmer just signed an extension a year ago and 99% of the world was singing his praises, calling him the best coach we've had since Grant.  Since that signing, he lost his starting QB 10 days before the start of the season, a lost his future HOF RB after a game, his OL became a mash unit 2 times over, the OC quit on him mid-season, S. Floyd's career was put in jeopardy by a freak surgical accident, he nearly lost his eye-sight in his dominant eye and he's had 8 surgeries in 8 months to correct it.   Putting him on the hot-seat after all of that would be not only unreasonable, but bordering on being a savage overreaction.

I don't think Ziggy and the gang think of Zimmer being on the hot-seat at all.  I believe he'll be our coach for at least the next 2 to 3 years, unless he retires due to health reasons.  1. His extension may be somewhat pricey to get out of.  2. I think he's loved by the players and respected by the front office 3. The best thing you can do for your team is give it stability at the top through all the ups and downs.  4. I don't think they want the drama while they grow the Vikings brand.  Hosting Super Bowl, opening new facilities next spring, etc.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
..... unless the Gods decide to smite the Vikings down again. 
The better phrasing is if the Gods ever decide NOT to smite the Vikings down. Its an annual occurrence.