Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S'up
Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander ran the 40-yard dash in 4.60 seconds at his Pro Day.
Alexander measured smaller than his college profile at 6-foot-2, 195 pounds. He also posted a 35.5-inch vertical and nine bench-press reps. Hyped as a Day 2 pick, Alexander is shaping as a late-round flyer. Alexander's middling Pro Day should solidify Western Michigan CB Sam Beal as this year's top supplemental prospect.

Athletic DBs to enter supp draft … A couple of very athletic DBs reportedly will be entering this summer’s supplemental draft. Western Michigan CB Sam Beal, for example, has reportedly told team officials that he is filing to enter this summer’s supplemental draft. Beal is entering the supp draft because he’ll be ineligible next year due to academic shortcomings. The 6-0, 185-pound was considered to be one of the top prospects at the position for the 2019 draft and should some consideration in the second or third rounds. Beal, who had 2 picks – including one off USC’s Sam Darnold – last fall along with 8 other pass breakups, has the length and speed NFL teams are always looking for in press CB. There still is no official 40 time on Beal, but he was a state medalist in both the 100M and 200M in high school.

Meanwhile, Mississippi State FS Brandon Bryant will also be entering the supp draft, also for academic reasons. Bryant, who the school’s website bio says he’s run the 40 in as fast as 4.24 is a well built 5-11, 215-pounder who had over 60 tackles in each of his first couple of years with the Bulldogs, but saw his numbers drop to 32 this past season. Bryant also has 5 career picks. He is considered to be more of a mid-to-late round type prospect. It was earlier reported that Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander will also be entering the 2018 supp draft. No date has reportedly been set for this summer’s supplemental draft, but it is usually held the first week in July.

Sam Beal - DB - PlayerWestern Michigan CB Sam Beal will enter the 2018 supplemental draft.
Beal (6'1/185) was forced to leave Western Michigan for academic issues. He's coming off a second-team All-MAC junior year and had been projected as a top-five corner for the 2019 draft. Beal joins Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander and Mississippi State FS Brandon Bryant in a talented supplemental class. He has mid-round potential.Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Wouldn't there be a concern if a players is leaving college for academic reasons.  I would be concerned that he could handle the defenses that Zim will be throwing at them.

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
Wouldn't there be a concern if a players is leaving college for academic reasons.  I would be concerned that he could handle the defenses that Zim will be throwing at them.
That's always my first thought...  does the player have the work ethic and drive to handle the mental grind of professional football?

If you can't handle attending classes and playing college football, will you be willing to study your playbook, watch film, etc. once it's your job?

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@ThunderGod said:
That's always my first thought...  does the player have the work ethic and drive to handle the mental grind of professional football?

If you can't handle attending classes and playing college football, will you be willing to study your playbook, watch film, etc. once it's your job?
Thing is what if the finally decide do I  wanna  be  a let's say  dips hit  throw my talent away or does the lugh go on and say  I wanna be a  multi millionaire like  early reports we are hearing about Holton hill 

I guess I am not questioning the "want" or drive but the mental capacity or smarts to learn and absorb all the information that is needed to handle playing in the NFL. I know it isn't rocket science but the really good players spend a lot of time learning, watching film, learning tendencies of other teams, other players.

Maybe it is the commitment as you guys are leaning towards but I wondered about the I.Q.

Another thing that I always wondered about is we fans tend to judge players for not being fully committed to their jobs but few of us make the commitment to our jobs to study and improve ourselves so we are "the best we can be". I know they are making millions and we are just trying to bring home a paycheck to give to the wife. I am guilty of this myself.

Just some thoughts about picking a player that struggles already with academics.

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
I guess I am not questioning the "want" or drive but the mental capacity or smarts to learn and absorb all the information that is needed to handle playing in the NFL. I know it isn't rocket science but the really good players spend a lot of time learning, watching film, learning tendencies of other teams, other players.

Maybe it is the commitment as you guys are leaning towards but I wondered about the I.Q.

Another thing that I always wondered about is we fans tend to judge players for not being fully committed to their jobs but few of us make the commitment to our jobs to study and improve ourselves so we are "the best we can be". I know they are making millions and we are just trying to bring home a paycheck to give to the wife. I am guilty of this myself.

Just some thoughts about picking a player that struggles already with academics.
I think its more of a maturity thing than an intellectual issue.  Honestly there are some dumb as posts guys playing the game at a very high level.  ( also some wicked smart ones as well)  but what IMO really sets apart the greats from the busts is the maturity that they have as they approach the job and the work it takes to become really good at it,  or busting in the first couple years.  the discipline and drive that comes with maturity,  sure there are some that are such athletic freaks they will get theirs (AD), but for the rest of the league the skill levels are so damn high,  its the maturity that I think sets them apart.

Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander visited with the Jets.
The Saints, Colts, and Kansas City also met with him. It confirms Alexander's league wide interest after 26 teams attended his Pro Day. Alexander (6'2/195) has starting traits but was suspended multiple times at Virginia Tech and his measurables (4.6 forty) would have ranked at the bottom of this year's class. Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline gives Alexander a third-round supplemental grade.
Related: ColtsChiefsSaintsJets

Tyrann Mathieu, is kinda the exception to the can't hack the college discipline flag.  But those players are rare, for every one that gets it together there is a bunch that fail.   Randy Moss would be another example. But he did have his demons, we gave up on him twice, the Wilfs once.