Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Need To See More of This Type of Leadership in Pro Football
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ben...li=BBnbfcL

it sucks that I have to use Ben as a role model for my story... but damn its about time somebody starts putting the team ahead of their personal gain.... how much is enough anyway?
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?

I think there is a time in a player's career to get what you can and a time to realize you're a player in decline and settle for less in the interest of team unity and your own "brand" as a soon-to-be former player and member of the community. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think there is a time in a player's career to get what you can and a time to realize you're a player in decline and settle for less in the interest of team unity and your own "brand" as a soon-to-be former player and member of the community. 
If I was a top tier QB that was in a position to make some contractual demands... I am saying that you can pay me 35 million per season...or you can pay me 20-25 million per season and then make damn sure you are taking care of my guys and improving my situation to extend my career.  While I am here you will be spending up to the cap or close to it,  not doing the perpetual cap roll over from one year to the next so you can always save 10 million or so.  As long as I was there I would want the money on the field,  not rolled over to benefit some future QB.  I honestly dont know that there shouldnt be max contracts in the NFL like other sports.  Make the largest contract possible to be 15% of the cap, that way a team isnt held hostage by a premier player and the wealth is spread over more players.  I hate that a team game gets handled like it does when it comes to wealth distribution.

He's still under contract and he waffled about retirement. I don't think he has much left anyway.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

it sucks that I have to use Ben as a role model for my story... but damn its about time somebody starts putting the team ahead of their personal gain.... how much is enough anyway?
He wasn't ready to commit to playing after 2018 before the Steelers Drafted Masson Rudolph.  After the draft he's upset that the Steelers Drafted QB.  I'm going to wait to see if or when he gets another contract how much he cares about helping the team.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

He wasn't ready to commit to playing after 2018 before the Steelers Drafted Masson Rudolph.  After the draft he's upset that the Steelers Drafted QB.  I'm going to wait to see if or when he gets another contract how much he cares about helping the team.
all we can do at this time is take him for his word... and its a word that I think we need to hear more from the veteran leaders of these teams.  honestly... 25 or 30 million,  in the end does it really matter,  the extra 5 million a year would go a long ways towards extending at QBs career an extra year or two so they should come out on the plus side of that deal anyway,  plus all the extra endorsements and such from an extended career.

its kind of funny thinking back to when stafford signed his big money rookie deal,  there were people speculating that players would start retiring earlier since they are making so much more now... well a few have walked away earlier,  but we are still seeing guys play into their 40s so I dont think the extra money has really hastened anybodies exit from the game.