Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup RB options...
I think we're going to miss Jet more than we realize...

In an ideal world, Dalvin is Dalvin and stays healthy.  Murray is over his ankle injury that hampered him for the first half the season...

But what if one of these guys misses time?  Are we really going to trot out Mac Brown, Roc Thomas, or Mike Boone?  These guys look like what they are, practice squad players or street FAs.

Honestly, I would like to see the Vikings make a trade for a guy to bring in someone competent.  We've seen what happens when you lose a good RB.

Detroit is pretty loaded with Blount, Riddick, Johnson (2nd round pick), and Ameer Abdullah.

I liked Abdullah coming out but injuries have set him back.  I think he could be the odd man out in Detroit...  maybe the Vikings could throw the Lions a 6th or 7th round pick to get him.

Thoughts?  Is there anyone else who might be a cap casualty or pushed off a roster?  LB and RB seem like two spots where we lack depth.

Don't anyone even THINK it.

Yes! Do it!

ohhh the drama

Yes we are thin at RB. Never looked at the Lion's RB depth till now. I like the top of our list better. Theirs is better if the season gets long. Like they often do. Lion's have been chasing RB's for years. Like we did with WR's. Wish I knew who our #3 was. More then a familiar name others mention.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
I think we're going to miss Jet more than we realize...

In an ideal world, Dalvin is Dalvin and stays healthy.  Murray is over his ankle injury that hampered him for the first half the season...

But what if one of these guys misses time?  Are we really going to trot out Mac Brown, Roc Thomas, or Mike Boone?  These guys look like what they are, practice squad players or street FAs.

Honestly, I would like to see the Vikings make a trade for a guy to bring in someone competent.  We've seen what happens when you lose a good RB.

Detroit is pretty loaded with Blount, Riddick, Johnson (2nd round pick), and Ameer Abdullah.

I liked Abdullah coming out but injuries have set him back.  I think he could be the odd man out in Detroit...  maybe the Vikings could throw the Lions a 6th or 7th round pick to get him.

Thoughts?  Is there anyone else who might be a cap casualty or pushed off a roster?  LB and RB seem like two spots where we lack depth.
It's a good thought and I agree with the need. But I don't see the Lions making a trade, at least not with us - unless we give them a player that fills one of their needs. Doing that within the same division is rare. Abdullah's contract for 2018 is barely over $1M, so I think they will keep him as depth...4 good RBs on a roster isn't a big problem.

I think Mack Brown is going to surprise some people as a decent #3 RB. He's my pick to be the guy. I believe even Zimmer had a comment about him if I'm not mistaken.

I think the Vikings can easily roll with what they have.    I don't like Abdullah for any price.  Total bust.

I'm concerned about it too, Wet.  I was surprised we didn't draft a RB, actually.  Murray really improved as the season went on, but he's not that "featured" back teams game plan around.  Cook proved he can be that featured back on all downs, but like you said, it's really unknown how long it will take to be up to speed again, or if he ever will.

I know nothing about the others, but we seem thin there.  I guess the coaching staff thinks we're ok?  I can't help but think they'll be looking at TC cuts before the season starts.

It's worth considering.

I was surprised when we didn't take a back in the middle rounds. I'd definitely keep my eye on the market, but I wouldn't do it until I've had a chance to get a good look at Boone, Brown and Thomas. Remember, the damn-near MVP of the Super Bowl last year was Corey Clement, an undrafted free agent. Lotta undrafted backs making an impact in the NFL. 

I'm also a little intrigued by Roc Thomas. A little like Diggs, Roc was a 5-star recruit who won the starting job at Auburn before injuries took their toll. Transferred to Jacksonville State and put together a really nice Senior year.