Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This explains a lot....Why GB gets away with holding

So I've started coaching O and D line for my high school freshmen team, and came across this little beauty looking for some advantage.As a lifelong Vikes fan...who like most here....CONTINUALLY see our guys get held with no calls.

Give the film a look see and offer up your opinions. This answers A LOT of our questions.

V83
VERY COMPLIMENTARY OF MINNESOTA in last minute or so

To cut to the chase start around 7:30
Watch for a couple minutes....Assessment is spot on IMO.
GB TEACHES to hold (hug) hands on pads outside.  Unless the DE gets around them / to one side...it will never be called.
Our HS is going with 'Tip of the Spear" training, combining hand speed, strike and pad leverage.

Yeah. I was pretty sure they never called these Holds anyways as long as your shoulders are squared with the defender. When he gets outside that and you are hugging it is clear hold and should be called. Those are the holding calls I take issue with and they Do not happen every play like people like to say.

Great find VanGAURD.  Typical O-lineman, looking for a shortcut...

Kidding.  But it is a great video and yes it is holding when they grab outside of the frame.  But no, the refs won't call it.  Nice to see BRob and the Vikings get a mention.  I think this was the guy that did the video on Harrison as well.

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
So I've started coaching O and D line for my high school freshmen team, and came across this little beauty looking for some advantage.As a lifelong Vikes fan...who like most here....CONTINUALLY see our guys get held with no calls.

Give the film a look see and offer up your opinions. This answers A LOT of our questions.

V83
VERY COMPLIMENTARY OF MINNESOTA in last minute or so

If you've never done it before and would like some "help", let me know.  I've been coaching O & D Lines for about 20 years.  I've got lots of "stuff" I can share.

I've seen this commentary (or one just like it) before.  Kind of frustrating, because what they do IS holding.  But they've found a way to get around it... and it doesn't help that the refs are in their back pocket, besides.

It's effin holding all the way---why can't they address this in the rules committee.   Have someone cut block Baluga  while the defender has his arms straight up in the air

Honest how can I be engaged to that pos with my arms up here

Remember this is the same franchise that admitted that their Dbs  used to hold on every down because the refs are under pressure to keep the game moving so they'll look the other way most of the time.

I've coached the So. CA. junior AAF teams, but the HS I work at is going in a new direction...trying to take the head out of the game so we brought in "Tip of the Spear" (Former NFL players) that developed a system of hands, hips, leverage of opponents pads to change the spine angle.  There are some videos I'll look to find, and post. We had to basically go through two days of training before working with our boys.

our Var. line coach basically said, "We're holding on every play"... Same as the GB approach, but this "Tip of the Spear" operates on speed of hand strike at the cut of the pads...driving those pads up.  Interesting approach...way different than the typical jab step, draw & strike.   It's a "strike first" mentality, and even after two days of training I'm still wrapping my head around it

Heres TOS in a nutshell...