Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings DE Danielle Hunter ‘stronger, quicker’ — and a year away from payday
Opposing offensive linemen already are wary of up-and-coming Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter. Now, he’s giving them even more reasons to be concerned.
Hunter, who has 19 1/2 sacks over the past two years, spent the offseason working out in Houston with James Cooper, the trainer for former Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. Hunter, who has worked with Cooper since entering the NFL in 2015, said his weight — 260 pounds — is the same as last season but that physically he has made strides.
“I’m stronger,” Hunter said this week during organized team activities. “I’m much more quicker. Last year, I had put on weight (from 255 pounds in 2016), so now my body is used to it. … I went down there (to train in Houston), and I just focused. It’s as simple as that.”
https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/31/vi...om-payday/

This will be interesting to see.  It seems as AD got stronger and more freakish looking he lost what made him great.  Hopefully DH is making true gains amd not just replacing one skill/trait with another.

I like Hunter, but I'm not in love with Hunter. I think he's still pretty raw. He's still very young, only 23 years old, but he needs to improve his pass rush technique. He wins on bull rushes almost exclusively or chasing down a scrambling guy, but he doesn't take great angles or use leverage on the corner. I never see him get low and cut the corner angle around the OT like great rushers do. He takes wide arcs which uses precious time. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I like Hunter, but I'm not in love with Hunter. I think he's still pretty raw. He's still very young, only 23 years old, but he needs to improve his pass rush technique. He wins on bull rushes almost exclusively or chasing down a scrambling guy, but he doesn't take great angles or use leverage on the corner. I never see him get low and cut the corner angle around the OT like great rushers do. He takes wide arcs which uses precious time. 
Hes definitely a guy that needs to emulate BRobs passion for technique.  I think he has a lot more natural athleticism that about anybody we have seen play the position,  but he wont come close to fulfilling his potential if he doesnt improve his hand/foot work.  its going to come down to his committment to his craft and desire to be the best.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Yes if he refines the finer points, he will be a monster.  Dude is a freak for sure, his power and quickness are crazy.  Like when he pancaked the LT for the Panthers and got the safety on Newton.  It looked like he wasn't supposed to rush that play, but once he flattened the tackle, he accelerated and got the QB.

He's bigger than that, IMHO.  He put on serious weight.  Not 5 pounds.  I think he was playing at about 275-280 last year, and this year is going to be more of a hardened 280.

I think the 260 lb reference is copied off of a game program or some such thing.

Didn't he post some agility drills on twitter a few weeks ago citing 283lbs?  Anyone?

Barr is 260, ffs.