Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpEd: Kevin Warren would be a team owner a racially challenged NFL desperately needs
The Vikings' chief operating officer would be an ideal point person for a new ownership group. He is exceptional at what he does. He is the highest-ranking black person on the business side of an NFL franchise.

NFL owners love the power they hold, and feel entitled to it because of their business success. They aren’t going to hand a franchise to anyone.
So how can a restrictive group better itself, become more inclusive, and invite someone to the table who can become a sounding board and ally?
The next time an NFL franchise goes up for sale, the league should position Vikings Chief Operating Officer Kevin Warren to buy it.
Warren would be an ideal point person for a new ownership group. He is exceptional at what he does. He is the highest-ranking black person on the business side of an NFL franchise.
He worked so closely with former Rams coach Dick Vermeil in St. Louis, when the Rams built their only Super Bowl champion, that Warren and Vermeil vacation together today. Warren has excelled at running player programs, linking the business and football aspects of a franchise, and promoting community outreach and public relations.
He is universally liked and respected. I spoke with a top executive with another local franchise who said that despite the accolades Warren has received, his influence inside the Vikings franchise, and his influence in growing the franchise into the powerhouse it is today, is underrated.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-kevin...483827761/

Odd piece, IMO. The league should 'position' him to buy it? Is that how things work now? He can either afford to be a NFL owner or he can't....which not many can because you really need to be a billionaire (with a b). 

I'm quite certain Warren is everything that the article states but regardless, he does it on his own financial abilities or not. 

Yah, Souhan is putting forth an opinion and rationale that doesnt resonate with me completely either.

I thought Warren was going to be part of Zona at one time...

Either way,  it looks like the front office and us fans benefit from him being as influential as he is  - and capable. Him, Brez, the coaches, it's no wonder the Vikings are a powerhouse franchise now.  

what difference does it make if he is a minority owner (because I highly doubt he is a billionaire) or if he just works for a franchise?  nobody ever hears from the minority owners,  they arent given positions that would do anything in a franchise that I can think of.  Not sure how the NFL would benefit more by having Warren as an owner vs what he is doing for the Wilfs currently.  I am sure that if he had something to say he will say it to the Wilfs and it will be heard.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Odd piece, IMO. The league should 'position' him to buy it? Is that how things work now? He can either afford to be a NFL owner or he can't....which not many can because you really need to be a billionaire (with a b). 

I'm quite certain Warren is everything that the article states but regardless, he does it on his own financial abilities or not. 
The owners have to approve the sale still right? So yeah they do "position" people to be owners.  

Quote:So how can a restrictive group better itself, become more inclusive, and
invite someone to the table who can become a sounding board and ally?
By fixing the game?  By propping up a minority owner?  Is this author as stupid as he sounds?

Tell you what, I think the NFL should include (set up) another discriminated group, the less affluent.  I think the NFL should make sure I am included in the next owner group.  I can't afford tickets or travel costs, so they should set me up with a suite and private jet.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@StickyBun said:

The owners have to approve the sale still right? So yeah they do "position" people to be owners.  
Not if they don't have the money, they don't. The whole genesis of the article is the diversity angle for ownership, which for sure the NFL could use, but don't prop a guy up only because of it.