Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings' roster is strong; some tough decisions coming up ...
OFFENSE:
QB: Cousins, Siemian and Sloter. This one is easy.
RB: Cook, Murray and 1 more: Brown, Thomas, or Boone. First issue: can we afford to carry Ham (FB)? I would argue no. Use Morgan or Conklin in his place and free up a spot.
WR: Diggs, Thielen, Wright, and Treadwell. Who else? King, Zylstra, Weineke, Coley, Jones (susp), ... 
TE: Rudolph, Morgan, Conklin. Do we need Bell?  He did nothing last season and that was before we picked up Conklin. 
OL: Reiff, Easton, Elflein, Remmers, and O'Neill. Add at least 4 of Isidora, Hill, Collins, Compton, Andrews, Gossett, ...
I would keep: QB - 3; RB - 3; TE - 3; WR - 6; OL - 10
Someone can take a crack at defense. That might be harder to get down to 25.

I think we keep Ham. 
As for the OL, I think Isidora, Hill and Collins.  The last spot (if we carry only 9)?  I guess we'll see...
I was going to correct you re: Wright (WR)... then I remembered we signed ANOTHER Wright.   :o

I, too, suspect we will keep Ham, I just think that may be a mistake. Do we lose much if anything if we use Morgan or Conklin in his place? Each roster spot is so valuable, we need a pretty compelling reason to justify each name, and that is especially true for the veterans.
If we cut Gossett to put him on the PS, how confident are we that he won't get claimed? And what about Compton and Andrews?  We were pretty luck last year that we did not have many injuries to the OL - at least until late. Depth here is important.
I am assuming that Kendall Wright is in the top 4. It would be great if Treadwell gave us at least one decent year, but I'm not counting on it.  Evidently Zylstra looked good at the rookie camp.
I'm sure a lot of this will get sorted out in training camp. But I expect the Vikings will have to make some difficult decisions this summer.

I think Kendall Wright could be a surprise for us in that 3rd receiver role. He's a former 1st round draft pick who has put up respectiable numbers despite catching passes from rookie Jake Locker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Zach Mettenberger, rookie Marcus Mariota and then finally Mike Glennon and rookie Mitch Trubiski, where he led the Bears in receptions. Not a bad little addition to Diggs and Thielen IMO. Unless Treadwell somehow emerges from the ashes, I think Kendall will easily be our #3. 

I know it's easy to overrate rookies, especially before they've even put on pads, but based on what I've seen I would be scared to death to expose Gossett to the waiver wire.

with roater spots becoming so tough, I could see them cutting Tread if he doesnt have a big camp.  I know it doesnt help the cap but a roster spot might be worth it if he isnt adding much.

Quote: @"Poiple" said:
with roater spots becoming so tough, I could see them cutting Tread if he doesnt have a big camp.  I know it doesnt help the cap but a roster spot might be worth it if he isnt adding much.
You have to at least consider it. I suppose they are not quite ready to give up on him, but if he has a lousy camp, why not? ..... His guaranteed money is a sunk cost; consider it gone.

i just dont k ow who else is on the bubble quite as much as him.  Given that they want to add a few guys to the roster.....

Treadwell will probably be more prepared for TC than he ever has, but is he going to be any faster?

He is not fast, that’s a fact, but is he too slow to get open? CC wasn’t fast. Brandon Marshall wasn’t fast. It can be done. 

I don't see them cutting Treadwell. I've been wrong before. I think if nothing they give him one more year because of his gunner role on ST's and his down field blocking. That's about all he's shined at though.  This will be his last year with the Vikes unless he can figure out how to be at the right place at the right time. I think they keep Ham as well. I believe they will carry only 9 Olinemen. They will probably squeeze another on the PS. We got too many rookies with no shot at a roster spot. Some/most will be exposed to waiver and hopefully make it to the PS. Talent will be lost because now we have too much to go around.