Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings already kicking Packer ass

Interesting Excerpts from a McGinn article on the undrafted free agent class...Green Bay ended up with what appears to be a ho-hum collection of talent. Long a leader in production from free agents, the Packers’ 14-man contingent seems down in quality from previous years.

“Nothing exciting about this group,” an AFC executive in personnel said. “A low-budget accumulation.”“Lot of small-school guys,” the executive said. “It’s a pretty average group overall.”
The breakdown of the 14 shows eight from major programs (FBS), four from FCS programs, one from NCAA Division II and one from NCAA Division III. 
Last week, the Minnesota Vikings released a list of 17 rookie free agents that had agreed to terms. The Vikings (13-3 in 2017) are the team that the Packers (7-9 in ’17) must catch in the NFC North Division.

Of the Vikings’ 17 undrafted players, 14 came from FBS programs and three from FCS. I had discussed nine of the 17 with scouts.
Holton Hill of Texas was my No. 12 cornerback, Tray Matthews of Auburn was my No. 13 safety, Roc Thomas of Jacksonville State was my No. 14 running back, Hercules Mata’afa of Washington State was my No. 21 edge rusher and Garret Dooley of Wisconsin was my No. 25 edge rusher. I also had asked scouts about wide receivers Jeff Badet of Oklahoma, Korey Robertson of Southern Mississippi and Jake Wieneke of South Dakota State, and defensive tackle Curtis Cothran of Penn State.
How did the Vikings secure so many of the better undrafted players to join them?
“They bought them,” said a source familiar with the Vikings’ financial practices. “They guaranteed money on the base (salary).”
Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings’ executive vice president of football operations and lead contract negotiator, guaranteed portions of the base salaries for all five players whose contract data was available. Those guarantees were $35,000 for Robertson, $30,000 for Dooley, $15,000 for Cothran and $10,000 each for Badet and defensive end Jonathan Wynn of Vanderbilt.

31 other teams in the league can "buy" players, too, if they want to...
More or less, we bought tryouts. The rest of the league will absorb whoever we cut from this group if they feel they're worth absorbing. If the Vikings are willing to pay for tryouts all that tells me is that they want to win. I think it's great.

How do other teams not do this?  Especially Jerry?  I have my doubts that this is some new wrinkle in the game.

Damn! That's not too bad for a tryout.

Well if we have a bit of luck with one or two of these guys you can bet the other teams in the league will start doing the same.  Happy to do it. Let's hope it pays dividends. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Damn! That's not too bad for a tryout.
no kidding. where do i sign up?

Good...Widen the talent gap against those pricks.

... with no end in sight! 

McCarthy got the golden egg in Rodgers. At a time when the rest the division was in flux. He parlayed his "success" into 5 straight NFCN titles. He was convinced of his brilliance by being able to build through rookies and not free agents. Well the Vikings are no longer in flux and took 2 of 3 titles. Maybe singlehandedly gave the fat guy his pink slip. Now suddenly the Packers need as much talent as they can get. However they are seemingly still not up to Rick's speed. Now Gutekunst has to learn fast and acquire faster. 
Welcome to the new world.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
McCarthy got the golden egg in Rodgers. At a time when the rest the division was in flux. He parlayed his "success" into 5 straight NFCN titles. He was convinced of his brilliance by being able to build through rookies and not free agents. Well the Vikings are no longer in flux and took 2 of 3 titles. Maybe singlehandedly gave the fat guy his pink slip. Now suddenly the Packers need as much talent as they can get. However they are seemingly still not up to Rick's speed. Now Gutekunst has to learn fast and acquire faster. 
Welcome to the new world.
It's a new front office there now and I'm sensing some urgency on their part to win while Rogers is still capable of controlling outcomes. 

Gutekunst job is not easy, but still easier than most GM's in the league with an Apex QB. 

That said, I think the moves we made widens the gap between the teams and I like our chances to make a deep playoff run again...

Instert Vanguard here;