Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retired Numbers... thought/idea
With a new wave of rookies comes a new wave of numbers to remember. Through offseason workouts some wear single digits until camp, some wear currently taken and sometimes they'll wear a number so legendary it makes you feel nostalgic.

Look at photos of workouts lately and you'll see one number stick out like a sore thumb: 84. 

Why isn't that number retired?

Before arguing for or against it, two thoughts conflict in my mind: First, how many retired numbers can a team have when they need to reduce 90 guys down to 53? Second, isn't it a little... i dont know... a little short sighted to retire numbers only to leave some major individuals hanging on a technicallity? 93 is another one that comes to mind.

Is there a better solution to honor these players without losing out on assignable numbers to current players? 

What came to my mind was a redefinition of a retired number. Rather than removing it from the pool, assign it and embroider the name of the honored player as a patch somewhere on the jersey. Let 80 run around out there, lets see CRIS CARTER stitched on the sleeve or chest plate. 

What Id like the most about something like this would be how front and center some of our legends would be in the minds of younger fans. I personally enjoy watching 93 suit up, i like 84 running around. To me, it doesnt feel like John Randle has been gone as long as Cris Carter has. And I think a part of it may just be the constant nostalgic reminder watching 93 compete as Kevin Williams or Shamar Stephen. Same with Randy and Patterson years back. 80 though? Cris Carter feels like a throwback to Fran Tarkenton sometimes. I feel like these guys have been obscured in a way in my mind; relegated to an ancient past.

What do ya think? Would embroidering the name of an honored player to their former number, once its reassigned to a new player, be a good idea? Terrible idea? More or less honorable?

I think the guy that wears the number now shouldn't have any further pressure to perform than the fans memories of that number.  I can appreciate what you are trying to do with the patch (the league would never allow it)  but I think just leave it alone.   Ive never liked the act of retiring numbers,  the only one I can't argue against is Stringer,  the man died in that jersey and it should never be worn again.

I'm not sure the Vikings criteria, but thankfully they have only retired 4 numbers in their history:
10 - Tarkenton
53 - Tingelhoff
70 - Marshall
77 - Stringer

Why T F #88 hasn't been retired is beyond my comprehension. That said, no I dont like the idea of new players running around with old names on jerseys., 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Why T F #88 hasn't been retired is beyond my comprehension. That said, no I dont like the idea of new players running around with old names on jerseys., 
The lists I've seen does show 88. Also 80 is on the list. Think we are at 6. 
84 deserved the ring of honor. He is a HOF'er I would be ok with his number on the list if 80 is. At some point you do need to stop or future greats will be the ones left out.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/3/25/...be-retired

This is the list I found:

Fran Tarkenton 10 Minnesota Vikings 1961–66, 1972–78 October 7, 1979
Mick Tingelhoff 53 Minnesota Vikings 1962–78 November 25, 2001
Jim Marshall 70 Minnesota Vikings 1961–79 November 28, 1999
Korey Stringer 77 Minnesota Vikings 1995–2000 November 19, 2001
Cris Carter 80 Minnesota Vikings 1990–2001 September 14, 2003
Alan Page 88 Minnesota Vikings 1967–78 September 25, 1988
I really think 84 should be added to this list and probably will be one day.