Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings taking more chances on players with character concerns lately

Last season, the Vikings selected Florida State running back Dalvin Cook in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft. During his time at Florida State, Cook was accused of multiple crimes including punching a woman in the face (to which he was later found not guilty).

https://thevikingage.com/2018/05/08/minn...-concerns/

As long as Zimmer is the coach I dont have a problem with it.  In todays world where an accusation equals guilty you never know what the truth really is until you investigate it and take a chance.  The good thing for the Vikings is they have coach Zimmer, if one of these guys he took a chance on screws up there is no doubt in my mind he will be immediately sent packing.  I remember him telling Michael Floyd "If you are lying to me I will cut you", and I believe him.

If you dug into anyones early 20's life hard enough, you'd find something that could be construed as a "character concern" on damn near everybody.  Nearly everyone has done something stupid in their youth, just not everyone has been caught.  The Vikings have maybe started taking a few more risks on guys with a public "scuff" on their record.  But talent is talent.  As long as it's vetted out and a player shows regret and remorse for their actions, passing them over is also a risk to the team.  It seems like it's been a long time since a Vikings player has made a big wave in the media with an action that tarnishes the team name with a criminal action.  DWI, assault, drug bust, hookers.  It wasn't all that long ago, it seemed to be a monthly occurrence.  So whatever they are doing in their vetting process, they are doing it right.  (Knock on wood)

Sounds like someone had a deadline to meet & had to scramble.
It’s kind of a reach throwing Hughes & Cook on Americas Most Wanted list
Hughes was in a Frat fight & Cook was “acused” and found “not guilty”, does that not count for anything anymore ?
“...Cook has been too busy rehabbing from a torn ACL to cause any trouble...” is a pretty naive statement too. 

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
Hughes was in a Frat fight & Cook was “acused” and found “not guilty”, does that not count for anything anymore ?
“...Cook has been too busy rehabbing from a torn ACL to cause any trouble...” is a pretty naive statement too. 
But Cook went from a 1st round pick to a 2nd round pick because of the friends that were around him, and there's most definitely more than a frat fight on Hughes for UT to suspend him for 6 games, and the NFL to not draft him.

We currently have a strong locker room with lots of Vets that allows us to take chances on big reward players like this.

I'm really excited by Holton Hill, I wonder if he can get some time at Safety.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@Maple Surple said:
But Cook went from a 1st round pick to a 2nd round pick because of the friends that were around him, and there's most definitely more than a frat fight on Hughes for UT to suspend him for 6 games, and the NFL to not draft him.

We currently have a strong locker room with lots of Vets that allows us to take chances on big reward players like this.

Considering how football smart he is, how well he plays the run and our depth at CB, I'm hoping they put him at safety now. Give him a year, 10 lbs and a sponsor and he'd be a safety prototype. 'Course we also have to remember that he's probably just one positive test away from playing for the River Monsters...

[Image: otl_lorenzen02_1600x2132.jpg]

Quote: We currently have a strong locker room with lots of Vets that allows us to take chances on big reward players like this.
This.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@Maple Surple said:

Hughes went to NC, are you mixing him up w/ UDFA Holton Hill perhaps...?

Quote: @Kentis said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Maple Surple said:

Hughes went to NC, are you mixing him up w/ UDFA Holton Hill perhaps...?
What's the fascination of moving any corner we get to the safety position?  Depth at corner is a necessity right now.  Hill is big enough and fast enough to be another Rhodes...and long as he keeps his mind straight and works hard.

It seems like they feel they can afford to. Granting they aren't picking the scum of the fucking earth, they are picking guys that they deem as redeemable as opposed to hopeless causes. Or at least the ones that they think deserve a second chance or with issues minor in comparison to others. They are doing their homework on them and they have a supportive environment in place. It's all about perspective as well as risk versus reward.