Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian rookie Hercules Mata’afa trying to live up to his name with Vikings
“I chose (the Vikings) because they’re the best defense in the league and I want to be able to prove myself that I can compete with the best,” Mata’afa said. “If I’m competing with the best at practice, I can compete with the best across the league.”
Mata’afa fell out the draft because, at 6-foot-1, 252 pounds, he was an undersized defensive lineman at Washington State. Way too small for the NFL. But maybe just the right size for a linebacker.
“That will be the biggest adjustment for him,” coach Mike Zimmer said, noting that Mata’afa led the NCAA in negative plays the past two seasons. “There has been several guys that have gone from defensive line to linebacker. (Teddy) Bruschi is a great example. Now, I’m not saying he’s Teddy Bruschi. Just that there are guys that have done that in the past.”
Mata’afa is learning the ropes at strongside linebacker right now, though he projects as someone who can also play weakside linebacker in a pinch.
There’s also chatter that defensive coordinator George Edwards has plans to use Mata’afa as an edge rusher at times, something that makes sense considering his explosiveness, lateral quickness and finishing ability in the backfield.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/05/ha...h-vikings/

I remember watching a state HS football championship game and this kid was playing DT at about 150lbs.... he was so quick with his get off, his feet, and his hands that even all state offensive linemen couldnt deal with him very regularly.  he was in the back field disrupting plays on about every series of downs.  now maybe that type of play doesnt fit in todays NFL with the overall athleticism of the OL players increasing,  but it is fun to watch when that little stick of dynamite is wearing your teams colors.

He's facing tough odds, but he knows it.

C'mon bruddah, show em what you got.

Go Mofo!  B)

Come on Hercules, get after it!

Perfect PS guy, has the tools and intangibles just needs his mind/body to catch up.

Hoping they have plenty of poi on that training table.

He will be the players we fans fall in love with.  Great name.  Great birthplace.  Great story if he can pull a John Randle.

Quote: @"twgerber" said:
He will be the players we fans fall in love with.  Great name.  Great birthplace.  Great story if he can pull a John Randle.
 I'd settle for a 1/4 of a Johnny Randle from this kid.