Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR Brandon Zylstra has impressed Vikings throughout rookie camp
On paper, the Vikings appear set at wide receiver with Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Kendall Wright and Laquon Treadwell on top of the depth chart.
Brandon Zylstra, 25, is hoping to force the Vikings to make some decisions at that position, and he hopes he can make one of the last spots on the team.
The Spicer, Minnesota native signed a futures contract with the Vikings this offseason after spending 2017 with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League. He led the CFL with 1,687 receiving yards last season on 100 catches with five touchdowns to earn CFL All-Star honors.
“So far, he has done an unbelievable job out here in our Phase II stuff,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Friday. “Running routes, catching the ball. He looks quick. Smart guy, tough. He is out here today. I asked him, ‘Are you going to play special teams or are you just going to try to be a receiver?’ He said ‘No, he is going to play.’ I said ‘Ok, we’ll see.’ That will be a big thing for him, too, is to learn how to play special teams. He has been impressive so far.”
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2018/05...okie-camp/

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
“So far, he has done an unbelievable job out here in our Phase II stuff,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Friday. “Running routes, catching the ball. He looks quick. Smart guy, tough. He is out here today. I asked him, ‘Are you going to play special teams or are you just going to try to be a receiver?’ He said ‘No, he is going to play.’ I said ‘Ok, we’ll see.’ That will be a big thing for him, too, is to learn how to play special teams. He has been impressive so far.”
These quotes caught my eye when I read this the other day...  Not your typical Zim-speak about a young player.  We'll see if he continues to impress once they put the pads on in training camp.

Yea and I am assuming the ST question was rhetorical?  

Maybe Zimm is trying to send a message to another WR Smile.....just a thought

Zylstra has taken every opportunity to get a leg up on one of the final spots and I think he will get one.  Just training everyday with Adam Theilen was an extremely smart move.   I think he has more than enough athletic ability, it now comes down to route running and if he is training with Adam he is well on his way to being a solid WR and an amazing pick up for the Vikings.  I am pretty confident he will make this team and at the very least be a solid special teams player and solid depth at the WR position. 

there will be lots of competition for the bottom 3 or 4 WR spots the way it sounds.  I am betting we end up sending at least 2 to the PS as well.

I thought Cayleb Jones would likely get a spot but I would say he burned that bridge.   There is 1-2 spots on the roster up for grabs unless they were to let treadwell go or they don't keep Wright (would be odd but they don't have a lot invested in him).  Stacey Coley and Zylstra seem the most likely to get those spots now.  The rest of the roster is likely fighting for practice squad spots. 

AT was as special teams stud before he was our Pro Bowl WR.  Seems like that path can do well for hardworking players.  It's exciting to hear about these undrafted guys doing so well.