Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings CB Mike Hughes vows to stay grounded after being first-round pick
Mike Hughes hasn’t signed his contract yet, but he already has some money earmarked.
The cornerback was taken by the Vikings with the No. 30 pick in the first round of last week’s NFL draft. His draft slot calls for him to receive a four-year contract worth nearly $10 million with a signing bonus of about $5.25 million.
“My dream is to get my mom her house, and that’s what I’ll probably end up doing,’’ Hughes said.
Helping Hughes get on the field in 2018 could be his ability on special teams. He averaged 34.1 yards per kickoff return last season, fourth in the FBS, and 16.6 yards per punt return.
“Actually, during warmups, dropped my first (punt on Friday), kind of got the jitters out,’’ Hughes said. “But after that I felt more comfortable and started looking the ball in and just being myself and playing football.’’
On defense, Hughes mostly worked Friday in the slot. If he’s going to get playing time from scrimmage as a rookie he might need to beat out Terence Newman and Mackensie Alexander in competition at nickel back.
“I haven’t played much inside, but (Friday) I felt pretty good with what we’ve been learning, what we’ve been installing,’’ he said. “It’s all about getting comfortable with the guys and just trusting the coaches.’’
Hughes drew rave reviews following the practice from one defensive back, none other than Alexander’s twin brother. Mackenro Alexander, a rookie from Iowa State, is taking part in the minicamp as a tryout player.“I like him,’’ Mackenro said. “I think he’s a very athletic kid. Talented, fast explosive. He’s got everything all in the tool box to become one of the greats.’’

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/04/vi...ound-pick/