Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make a law
Teens watch a man drown and die. They laugh and video tape his death. There is no law on the books they violated. 

MAKE ONE. 

Oh that's a slippery slope.  I agree that law needs to be on the books, but that needs to be a broader law....

Wow,  where do you start and where do you stop.  This is one where the kids, although they did nothing illegal, did do wrong and should be publically admonished.  Underage or not they need to be shamed.

Nope.  Gotta disagree about making a law.  What those kids did pisses me off but who are we to tell them to put themselves in danger to try to save someone?  Perhaps none of them are strong swimmers and going in to save a drowning person can end up with more than just one death.  And to make a law that says you must try to save someone... even if you yourself might die.  Nope, just can't get behind that.   

If anything... some kind of law about a flotation device available around all bodies of water... maybe, but probably not feasible.  But people need to learn that they cannot control everything and sometimes people die. 

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Nope.  Gotta disagree about making a law.  What those kids did pisses me off but who are we to tell them to put themselves in danger to try to save someone?  Perhaps none of them are strong swimmers and going in to save a drowning person can end up with more than just one death.  And to make a law that says you must try to save someone... even if you yourself might die.  Nope, just can't get behind that.   

If anything... some kind of law about a flotation device available around all bodies of water... maybe, but probably not feasible.  But people need to learn that they cannot control everything and sometimes people die. 

That's pretty crazy if you ask me. 

It’s a federal crime to harass a golfer in any national park in Washington DC. It’s a federal crime to sell “turkey ham” as “ham turkey.” It’s a federal crime in the national forest to wash your fish in a faucet that’s not a fish-washing faucet.  

But watch a man die and laugh as you videotape his death without so much as calling for help? And then post his death on youtube? 

Yep, good to go!!  

Sorry, this is not OK with me. Several countries and a handful of American states (Minnesota is one) have “duty to assist” laws on the books. It’s time for a federal one.  

All they had to do was be decent and call for help and I would be fine.  I am a pretry good  swimmer but I don't know if I would try and save a drowning adult if I didn't have a flotation device to give them.  Rule #1 in responding to emergency situations is "scene safe"  or don't become the victim.   Now these kids filming ithe and posting it on youtube...that's  some sick shit and they need to be harshly reprimanded.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Bezerker88 said:

That's pretty crazy if you ask me. 

It’s a federal crime to harass a golfer in any national park in Washington DC. It’s a federal crime to sell “turkey ham” as “ham turkey.” It’s a federal crime in the national forest to wash your fish in a faucet that’s not a fish-washing faucet.  

But watch a man die and laugh as you videotape his death without so much as calling for help? And then post his death on youtube? 

Yep, good to go!!  

Sorry, this is not OK with me. Several countries and a handful of American states (Minnesota is one) have “duty to assist” laws on the books. It’s time for a federal one.  

I agree, we have way too many laws on the books already.  And it's right there in the Minnesota law - A person at the scene of an emergency who knows that another person is
exposed to or has suffered grave physical harm shall, to the extent that
the person can do so without danger or peril to self or others, give
reasonable assistance to the exposed person. 

Should they have called for help?  Without a doubt...  it's what humans do(even teens) for other humans, so why didn't they?   Did being high influence their actions.  I believe so, but since I don't know them I cannot say for sure maybe they are "just that way".  However I do know that being high can make a person take things less seriously than they normally would.   

If the time line for this is correct, I doubt a phone call would have saved this man.  left the home at about 12:40 p.m. Based on the video, he went into the
water at about 12:50 p.m. and then drowned. He was in the water
struggling for one or two minutes for the video portion,"   
I don't know the response time but it's probably more than 15 minutesadd in the body is in a lake and not a clear pool finding the person would add more time before resuscitation.  But who knows.       

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:

One of the primary rules they teach you in first aid, assess the situation, don't put yourself or the victim at risk.  What these azhats did was a crime against humanity, they had phones in hand and they failed to call.  This was an obvious case of  nonfeasance, a failure to act resulting in injury, not sure its a criminal offense, but it does have civil standing.

One has to wonder why did this person go into the water in the first place if they didn't know how to swim? I can feel bad for him and his family to an extent, but rule 1 is don't do stupid shit and think there won't be consequences.

As to some of the items Maroonbells posted earlier just shows how many idiotic laws we have on the books as it is. You simply can not outlaw all things that may cause harm to someone who may not have a lick of common sense.

I just read the story on this,  apparently these kids were sitting around smoking dope in that park.  now while there may be no florida laws broken regarding their actions and inactions pertaining to the deceased, I would prosecute them to the fullest extent on any drug charge I could make stick in this instance.  normally I am all for decriminalizing pot,  but in this case use the laws to apply justice IMO.

Turns out the guy that drowned was partially disabled and needed a cane to get around.

apparently the kids have shown no remorse in the manner and when asked about why they didnt help one simply smirked.