Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Film study: Second-round pick O’Neill shouldn’t play right away
In the second round, the Minnesota Vikings landed an offensive tackle with a high ceiling. But a review of his college film find that Brian O’Neill might need development before stepping into the limelight.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...ight-away/

I think he's got a very high ceiling, and 3 years from now he'll probably be a starting caliber T, but damn...we're kind of in win now mode aren't we? This entire draft seemed to be executed with some premise other than we were a game away from a championship...this entire draft has me smh...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I think he's got a very high ceiling, and 3 years from now he'll probably be a starting caliber T, but damn...we're kind of in win now mode aren't we? This entire draft seemed to be executed with some premise other than we were a game away from a championship...this entire draft has me smh...
Those that think we can move him to the right side and start day 1 are delusional. He could get by with sloppy technique and the lack of strength at Pitt, but he has a lot of work to do before he is ready for the next level.
Moving him to the right side would be silly since he needs time to develop anyways. He is a natural left tackle
and could be a good one if the Vikings develop him properly. 

or maybe ever.

I hate this draft. Its nonsensical to me. So many disappointing picks. And trading up to take another 5th round kicker ala Blair Walsh? SMFH. 

This team won 13 games last year, it was great. But they were one miracle play from being one and done at home in the playoffs and got ANNIHILATED in Philly. JMO, but every year there are playoffs teams that take a step back the next year: that might be the 2018 Vikings. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:

I hate this draft. Its nonsensical to me. So many disappointing picks. And trading up to take another 5th round kicker ala Blair Walsh? SMFH. 

This team won 13 games last year, it was great. But they were one miracle play from being one and done at home in the playoffs and got ANNIHILATED in Philly. JMO, but every year there are playoffs teams that take a step back the next year: that might be the 2018 Vikings. 
I don't...  I would actually say the Rams, Saints, and Panthers would be more likely to take a step back this coming season and miss the playoffs. 
Everything seemed to go right for the Rams last year.  I'm still not a believer in Goff and they have added some big personalities on defense.  Could be a volatile locker room if things don't go as well as last season.  I don't see the NFC South sending 3 teams to the playoffs again either.
Minnesota is actually one of the few teams in the NFC right now with a top 10 offense and a top 5 defense.  I like our chances.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Dont be trying to make sense of it.  They dont cotton much to that kind of thinking around here. :p

I feel like we'll still be In a win now mode in 3 years as well.

It feels like a draft that was meant to cost control expensive positions like CB and LT and develop players who maybe help extend our window in a couple years, but it's not a draft class that I am particularly excited about for this year. There is some logic in drafting a replacement for Riley Reiff now and giving him time to develop, but they passed on/didn't trade up for some potentially really good interior OL who could have helped right away.

I think that Jalyn Holmes (UT/3-technique) and Tyler Conklin have the best chance to make an impact early. Holmes as a rotational DT and Conklin as a move TE if his foot is healthy. Carlson will make an impact too, but I think that trading up for a kicker when Forbath was fine (not perfect, but fine) isn't a great move. The saving grace right now is that they brought in a good class of RFAs, so some of those players should make an impact this year, but Spielman let the other teams in the division gain some ground. It may take 2-years, but Hughes and O'Neill need to pan out.

We're probably going to have to carry an extra ol on the 53 man roster because he's too high of a pick to sneak in the PS and too green to see meaningful snaps...ugh...