Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings draft class figures to need time before they become contributors
How did Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman fare in his 12th draft with the team?
“If you ask me, I thought I did a hell of a job,” Spielman said with a laugh on Saturday when asked if he did well. “What do you want me to say — ‘No?’ ”
More definitive judgments probably will have to wait for another day.
As much as the NFL’s draft industrial complex loves to indulge in the practice of evaluating a team’s rookie class shortly after it’s finalized, the conclusions drawn in the hours after the draft often fail to hold up over time.
That could be especially true of the Vikings’ 2018 group, which followed the team’s typical script and could take some time to yield fruit.
The Vikings’ eight-player draft class is tied for their smallest of the decade, and at first blush, it would seem to be populated mostly with players who might be a year from contributing. The team tends to look more for athletic upside than immediate polish, and the state of the Vikings roster means that if their veterans are healthy, they shouldn’t need to lean too heavily on their 2018 rookies right away.
“The theme [of the draft] was sticking with the athletic traits we’re looking for, and relying on this coaching staff to develop a lot of this young talent,” Spielman said. “It gives you a chance to hit on some guys that can be pretty special. We talk about this all the time in the draft meetings: This guy may be a better football player today, but this guy has such a higher ceiling, and our coaches are so eager to work with these athletes. To me, that’s when you get an opportunity to hit on a guy that can be something.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-draft...481162871/

The Vikings’ Class of 2018 might not be showered with post-draft plaudits, and its ultimate success could hinge on the ability of Mike Zimmer’s coaching staff to coax production out of young players.
That’s been the approach the Vikings have taken since Zimmer and Spielman started working together in 2014, though, and the team’s decisionmakers are comfortable enough with it to continue on course and let the results come over time — like they eventually did with defensive end Danielle Hunter, a third-round pick in 2015.

As deep as this draft was at interior OLine, he dropped the ball again in thinking he could wait until our second pick to select a starter. I like O'Niel a lot and I'm excited on what he has the potential to develop into. However, we still don't have a replacement for Berger because we didn't draft a tackle that is ready to start to move Remmers inside, or draft a guard to leave Remmers where he's at. 

I think any of these guys have a shot to contribute right away.

I think Zim can coach the hell out of guys that have a natural ability to play their position the way Zim wants it played. He doesnt have to reinvent players to get results; he can work with guys that "fit" as well, or even better, than ultra talented guys that dont.

I understand guys will need time to develop. I also know this team wont hold back anyone who can contribute at a higher level. We might not be too excited about things on paper now, but who knows what the 53 man roster will end up looking like after Camp and Preseason. 

One of the most important aspects of this make or break for players is how they "fit." How natural are they at what they are asked to do and how much they improve. We have little idea of how anyone does until OTAs and camp. I think anyone who convinces Zim that they can play has a shot to be more than just depth on a stacked roster...

Im excited to see where the roster cracks through preseason. I get why expectations are what they are, but I also feel like there certainly will be surprises. We cant measure how bad a guy wants it and how willing he is to get after it...

Who here thought Elflein would be a day one starter?

Quote: @Watcher said:
Who here thought Elflein would be a day one starter?
Elflein was one of the top Centers in the country. Many scouts had him as a 2nd round pick so he was definitely a good value for us in the third and not a surprise that he won the starting Center position vs. Easton. O'Neill definitely needs time to build up his strength as he continues to transition from TE to OT. Can we really afford putting him at RT to protect Cousins? Hopefully he proves me wrong, but I have serious doubts he will be ready
to handle the responsibility this year which is why I have been upset with Spielman for not adding another guard
with our 4th that was ready to replace Berger and leave Remmers at RT until O'Neill is ready. Crosby was available
after he traded down to the 4th and would have challenged for a starting spot at Guard or Tackle this year and at the very least would have added badly needed depth.  

I think they HAVE to go outside and look at FA O linemen.  If they dont then Rick is the guy in the bubble.

Quote: @Poiple said:
I think they HAVE to go outside and look at FA O linemen.  If they dont then Rick is the guy in the bubble.
Sure he is...Agimg veteran past his prime retires, the team has like 6 guys on the Roster to replace him. GM clearly hasn't done his job.

Look around the League. How many teams are there that get good to really good RG play from lower level picks or UDFAs. The answer is a ton. Look at Easton. He wasn't drafted,.IIRC. 

Would it have been nice to snag one of the guys in the first? Of course. Draft didn't fall that way. But let's not act like there aren't plenty of guys with upside competing to win that spot.

Competition. Not handing the job to a shiny new pick. It's unsettling to fans who want the certainty of knowing who every starter is, but I'm sure it's music to the Coaching Staff's ears.

Aging guy past his prime is still the best at the job.   What does that say about his replacments?   I winder why its tough for fans to accept that it isnt the number of guys lined up for the job but it is instead HOW GOOD ARE THEY?
By all measures and reasoning the Vikings line, and therefore the lineman who comprise it, are not an elite unit.  Wishing doesnt change it. 

Quote: @Poiple said:
Aging guy past his prime is still the best at the job.   What does that say about his replacments?   I winder why its tough for fans to accept that it isnt the number of guys lined up for the job but it is instead HOW GOOD ARE THEY?
By all measures and reasoning the Vikings line, and therefore the lineman who comprise it, are not an elite unit.  Wishing doesnt change it. 
Who says Berger would beat everyone out and keep the job? 

You deal in nothing but absolutes. That way you don't ever have to respond to specific rebuttals to your opinions. You can just say 

Very little for me and I think most on here to respect about what you say when y throws something out there and get very detailed responses with contrary opinions and your stock response is something like Your crazy is you think or You live in a fantasy world, etc.

Let's try a case study to prove my point:the Eagles starting Center was drafted in the 6th Round. Their RG was taken in the 3rd, by another team! Their backup LT, who plays more than the Starter who's always hurt (and was an UDFA) came in the 5th.

So you think all these guys in play for RG aren't any good because you've never heard of them. Did you know who Brandon Brooks was when he got drafted? Or Jason Kelce? Or Vaitai? Or even Jason Peters? 

That's just one team. The entire League is chock full of guys you never heard of before they got drafted or signed after the draft.

Your assertion that none of the Vikings in-house options are any good seems rooted in your not knowing any of them or not believing Minnesota can develop any of them.

My assertion is that every freaking team minus the Cowboys has startes nobody heard of and guys they developed. And Minnesota has already developed Easton and Sirles. Plus the potential of the 2nd Round pick possibly being I the mix.

I'm sure your response will be If you think one of these guys will develop your crazy. Or another of your absolutist responses. And that's a shame. Cuz only Sith Lords deal in Absolutes.