Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too little too late ?

Sounds to me like they fucked upand didn’t anticipate how the draft unfolded.  

just as long as they don't draft that little RB in the 4th round.  For the love of God.....get a safety to replace Sandejo.

It certainly seems like the Vikings had a poor read on the draft and panicked. They took Hughes in the 1st thinking they could still get an OL that they liked in the 2nd, but then there was a massive run on OL in the 2nd and good corners were still available. Unfortunately, they guessed wrong and the ghost of the Bradford trade left them without the resources to trade up. Then they compounded their mistake by taking O'neill at the end of a run on OL and passed up better players at other positions and comparable tackles are still there at the top of the 4th.

I certainly hope their picks pan out and two years down the road if they lose Waynes or Alexander and Reiff slows down, maybe these picks will look better, but they certainly did not work the draft well the first two days.

I also wonder if they were targeting Ronnie Harrison in the 3rd and moved out of the third once he was gone? Things would have looked better if we had someone who could really push Sendejo. They'll need a strong day three to get things on track.

Quote: @Tyr said:
It certainly seems like the Vikings had a poor read on the draft and panicked. They took Hughes in the 1st thinking they could still get an OL that they liked in the 2nd, but then there was a massive run on OL in the 2nd and good corners were still available. Unfortunately, they guessed wrong and the ghost of the Bradford trade left them without the resources to trade up. Then they compounded their mistake by taking O'neill at the end of a run on OL and passed up better players at other positions and comparable tackles are still there at the top of the 4th.

I certainly hope their picks pan out and two years down the road if they lose Waynes or Alexander and Reiff slows down, maybe these picks will look better, but they certainly did not work the draft well the first two days.

I also wonder if they were targeting Ronnie Harrison in the 3rd and moved out of the third once he was gone? Things would have looked better if we had someone who could really push Sendejo. They'll need a strong day three to get things on track.
i think you hit pretty close to the truth.  

It seems like strange territory for Rick picking at number 30, 62 & 94.  Over the years, usually the Viking had higher picks in each round.  Usually sitting in the middle of each round, moving up or down still got you quality players.  Rick didn't realize or thought that sitting at the bottom of the rounds theirs a longer wait and the only moves that he should of made are up.

They were surprised in round 1 that OL went in front of them.
Then they were surprised that it kept happening in round 2.

[Image: cat-stupid-hurts-69594141414.png]

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
It seems like strange territory for Rick picking at number 30, 62 & 94.  Over the years, usually the Viking had higher picks in each round.  Usually sitting in the middle of each round, moving up or down still got you quality players.  Rick didn't realize or thought that sitting at the bottom of the rounds theirs a longer wait and the only moves that he should of made are up.
I think that is part of it.  Picking last is a different game and it forces you to really focus on what you want to accomplish.  When a solution to your top priorities present itself you have to take it.  It usually means guessing at what the guys in front of you are after and moving up to get it before you lose it.  I always thought Rick was good at this part of the job, one of his strengths.
Perhaps they like how it is turning out.  Maybe they wouldnt change a thing.   There was a lot of quality depth at CB into later rounds.  I wonder with hindsight if they might not have taken that guard/tackle in the first and an OT project in the second and filled nickle and dime later.  

Time will tell.

I am sure they ran thru all kinds of scenarios in their draft prep.   Runs happen all the time.  So far I am underwhelmed too but I dont' scout college kids so I'll take the wait and see approach.

I dont think they were surprised...I just think they didn't' have as much ammo as past years to flex and they didn't see or hear enough value from other teams to do so..