Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB Mike Hughes to the Vikings at #30
Welp.

3 1st round CBs, 1 2nd round CB, and 1 1st round S on the roster.

No wonder our OL stinks. Hopefully this kid can play. Seems like a big character risk. We don't usually draft those guys. Strange.

I really hate this pick, under sized, not great speed, and little experience.....

With Mike on this

I'll admit I just blindly wanted us to take OL so anything else was likely going to be disappointing for me. Hopefully we get a nice O-lineman with our next pick. That will make me feel better about Mike Hughes.

Will gladly eat my words on this if he balls out, especially if he does it THIS YEAR

He's lurking...
Daaaaaa-Dun.   Daaaaaa-Dun.       Daaa-Dun... Daaa-Dun... Daa-Dun... Da-Dun... Da-Dun...
[Image: shark-fin-gry-new.jpg]

I see the value in him if he replaces both Sherels and Newman.  Sure, that would be great and it frees up a roster spot. 

But he is still not worth a #1, no way. 

We passed on Hernandez too.  He was my last rookie starter at OL.  The rest of the OL prospects are more projects.  Even Daniels may need a year.  At this point, it may make little difference if we draft an OL in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Strange.  Obviously, the team feels they have the talent needed at OL.  Is Isadora that good?

Quote: @Ponifan said:
I see the value in him if he replaces both Sherels and Newman.  Sure, that would be great and it frees up a roster spot. 

But he is still not worth a #1, no way. 

We passed on Hernandez too.  He was my last rookie starter at OL.  The rest of the OL prospects are more projects.  Even Daniels may need a year.  At this point, it may make little difference if we draft an OL in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Strange.  Obviously, the team feels they have the talent needed at OL.  Is Isadora that good?
Watch this video of Hughes. A lot of draft analysts would disagree that he isn't worthy of a first round pick, especially when you include his return talents which we also have a huge need for. 

I love Hernandez, but they must not have felt that he was a good scheme fit. Guru suggested that many times on his analysis and clearly he must have had some inside info. Williams was another player I thought they would grab when he was there for us at 30. That fact that the Vikings tried to trade down but didn't feel that the value back in a trade was good enough to pass on Hughes definitely shows how much they must like him. This is a deep interior OLine draft. Let's see what they do tomorrow before we jump off the Long Boat. 

https://www.nfl.com/share/10103061-7033-0000-0092-6438b06264c3

After looking at a variety of pre-draft mocks... not many had Hughes rated in the top 3-5 CBs.  Not many had him even going in the first round.  We'll see, I guess...

CB depth is a legitimate need and both Waynes and Alexander's contracts are up after this season, so I expected them to take a CB at some point this draft, I'm just disappointed that they spent yet another high pick on what amounts to a 4th corner for a coach who never plays dime. People will get banged up and Hughes will get on the field, but it doesn't feel like a great use of resources, especially given Hughes off the field concerns and less than ideal size. He'll need to be a Hell of a punt returner and be able to step up into a 2nd or 3rd corner role by next year, which is a concern since corners do not adjust quickly to Zimmer's defense and if we do lose Waynes or Alexander, then do they burn another high pick on a corner again? They really need to start developing some mid to late round secondary talent otherwise, it's not sustainable to keep replacing DBs with high picks.

Hopefully, days two and three are better and we can find an OL starter and start to rebuild our roster depth, but I feel like we are going to need to be active in rookie FA this year, because our depth took a big hit this offseason and they need to rebuild the back half of the roster.

One thing I will say is that Philly only got a 4th to trade down to 52, so the trade down market was not good this year. 

I was hoping for offensive line but there wasn't the quality there that you couldn't get in players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Hughes was a player who's stock had risen as the draft process played out (even with the off the field stuff). Pure cover CB who is going to give us some depth immediately and insurance if we don't pick up Waynes rookie option next season. For what it's worth, Daniel Jeremiah had Hughes ranked as his 15th best prospect in his last listing 2 days ago. I think it was a value pick that filled a depth need.