Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistically, How Many New Starters After the Draft?
This team is loaded up on both sides of the ball compared to past seasons.  It looks to me like the draft is mostly to provide depth, and maybe future starters we hope the team can develop.  How many open positions does this team really have, 2 or so?  We maybe have room on the OL for either a RT or one of the guard positions, depending on what they do with Remmers.  Other than that, this team is pretty well set for starters on offense.  I do think they need a shifty 3rd down back, and another pass catching TE.  Both would be fantastic additions.

What about defense?  Maybe there's an opening for the slot CB, but not much else for starters.  There's room for more pass rushers from either the DT or DE spots, and more depth at CB, Safety, or LB would be great, but I just don't see any open starting spots.

It will be interesting to see the new additions, but unlike prior years, this team isn't looking to revamp the lineup next season with blue chip draft picks.  They have time to develop rookie players now without rushing them into the lineup. 

This Viking roster has come a long way.  B)

Read my mind Happy...

I think for this season? I'm not expecting any immediate starters from this draft.

That said, it sure would be nice to find a stud RT we could put out there and not have to protect much. But I'm not holding my breath. 

No, I think this is about depth and finding those players in later rounds that develop into nice talents in subsequent seasons - maybe role players this one. This draft has to result in that or the team really suffers later on. 

One.  OG (or Center, if we take the kid from Iowa and slide Elflein to guard).  Shocker would be if we traded Barr and added a LB early.

Quote: @"Norseman" said:
One.  OG (or Center, if we take the kid from Iowa and slide Elflein to guard).  Shocker would be if we traded Barr and added a LB early.
Yes, that would be a shocker...And I'd be PO'ed. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Norseman" said:
Yes, that would be a shocker...And I'd be PO'ed. 
I would be as well.

I think our O line has improved from horrible to nearly average.  Although we as fans have gotten used to terrible lines, if the Vikes want to be a perenial playoff contender then an elite offensive line is an absolute requirement.

A few of our current lineman would make excellent depth and allow for the rotation needed throughout the season and so they dont have a such a huge letdown after an injury.

Exactly how many points did the number 1 defense score during the last regular season???

I think one is most likely, two isn't out of the realm of possibility.  I'd predict RG or RT and then maybe LG if we double down on OLine, or LB if upgrade over Gedeon.

Well I believe we are getting zero out of this draft. Hughes has potential down the line but not this year. I don't hate the player I just don't like the pick for us at that spot this year. And then the run on OL to open day two really exacerbated that.  

Yeah I think we're now at zero day one starters.  I think Hughes has a chance of stealing significant time at nickle later in the year, but I think O'Neil is a project who will need to wait until 2019.

what about an elite punter with one of our sixths!!!!!