Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Richardson Contract Details...
Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson’s deal, which is worth $8 million this season, includes $3 million in incentives based primarily on his individual performance. Richardson can earn $666,667 for six sacks this season, $1,333,333 for eight sacks and $2 million for 10 sacks. He’d also make $500,000 if he is named to the Pro Bowl as a starter or backup, and $1 million if he is a first-team All-Pro.

http://www.startribune.com/for-kirk-cous...479880413/

Heres a cap question.  When teams do these deals do they count the whole total (salary and potential bonuses) against the cap since its possible they have to pay it in a best case scenario? 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Heres a cap question.  When teams do these deals do they count the whole total (salary and potential bonuses) against the cap since its possible they have to pay it in a best case scenario? 
If I remember correctly, I think it depends on whether the incentives are "likely to be earned" or not...

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@AGRforever said:
If I remember correctly, I think it depends on whether the incentives are "likely to be earned" or not...
Thats how I remember it as well.    I seems kind of arbitrary as to who decides what is likley,  but I think you are right on how its calculated.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Likely to be earned incentives are accounted for against the cap in the current year. Otherwise unlikely to be earned incentives are credited/debited from the subsequent year cap. The barometer on what is likely to be earned is how the player performed in the previous year. 

So we can use Richardson as an example. 

In 2018 his cap hit will be $8M with the potential to earn $11M. The extra $3M is broken out as: 

1. $666,667 for greater than six sacks but less than 8
2. An additional $666,667 ($1,333,333 total) for 8 or more sacks 
3. And a final additional escalator of $666,667 ($2,000,000 total) for 10 or more sacks

1. $500K for achieving a Pro Bowl nomination 
2. $500K for achieving being named first team All-Pro 

If he achieves any of these, the money will be subtracted from the 2019 salary cap. 

But if you would manipulate it a bit just to give you a comparison, say that his first sack incentive was for 2 or more sacks. Since Richardson achieved that in 2017 his cap hit this season would have been $8,666,667M since it would likely be earned. But say that he only got one sack in 2018, is it money lost? No. The opposite holds true where that $666,667 would be added to the Vikings 2019 salary cap since they did not pay Richardson that money. 

What always holds true with the cap is that the cash dollars also end up equaling the cap hits. It is just a matter of how long a team wants to carry the money. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@AGRforever said:
Likely to be earned incentives are accounted for against the cap in the current year. Otherwise unlikely to be earned incentives are credited/debited from the subsequent year cap. The barometer on what is likely to be earned is how the player performed in the previous year. 

What happens on incentives during multi year deals?  Are the incentives based on the year before the deal, or is each year based on the previous year?  Just curious if the team knows exactly when the incentives will hit or if a part of it is in the air.

Quote: @medaille said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@AGRforever said:

What happens on incentives during multi year deals?  Are the incentives based on the year before the deal, or is each year based on the previous year?  Just curious if the team knows exactly when the incentives will hit or if a part of it is in the air.
i would think that incentives are on a per year basis and handled in the cap as such. 

IE: extra million for superbowl mvp each year of his 3 year deal-

year 1- did he do it last year?  NO,  applied to next years cap and then he wins SB mvp so it will come off 2019 cap,
year 2- did he do it lasy year?  YES,  so the actual bonus for year 1 as well as the incentive hit comes off year 2,  and he doesnt repeat as MVP
year 3 (you get last years extra million in cap space back from the unachieved year 2 bonus,  and the cap hit for year 3 goes against your year 4 cap. 

does this make sense?