Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Kendricks has been
extended.  No details yet. Please post them as they are announced.  One down.

That's bigger than I expected.

Nice.   Guru,  how does this compare to what you were thinking when you said that the team could afford Cousins at 26 million?  ( you had some numbers penciled in for our imminent free agents.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Nice.   Guru,  how does this compare to what you were thinking when you said that the team could afford Cousins at 26 million?  ( you had some numbers penciled in for our imminent free agents.
But we don't yet know how Kendricks' deal is structured. It is probably more complex than $10M each year, so how can we say if it "fits"?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
But we don't yet know how Kendricks' deal is structured. It is probably more complex than $10M each year, so how can we say if it "fits"?
Guru has a way of knowing such things.... he will respond when he does.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Guru has a way of knowing such things.... he will respond when he does.
I'd imagine this is 5 years in addition to the final year of his contract if the Vikings contract precedence holds true. They'll want to use his final year on the current deal amortize some of the new contracts signing bonus. That also leaves you with the final year of the deal bearing no dead money which is huge. Depending on how quickly the Vikings want to get out of the dead money portion of the deal his annual cap hits could be around $6-8M through 2020 and then increase after that between 2021-23 when some other contracts come off the books. 

Oh, but on the terms agreed to I think this is a good deal for the Vikings. I had Kendricks pegged at $10.5M/yr. 

Very happy they got this extension done Big Grin Congrats to Eric!!

This makes me wonder if maybe they are a little hesitant to resign Barr for big money.  He was drafted a year before Kendricks after all, although I know he gets an extra year on his rookie deal being a 1st rounder.

Edit: But I'm very glad they resigned Kendricks, he's a great player who plays full speed 100% of the time.

I don't think we should read much into Kendricks being first. Barr could get extended tomorrow or next week or even sometime this summer and in a year we will look back and consider them signing around the same time.