Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day 3, Shoeleather Will Slap Oak For One Of Our 13 7th Rounders For This Guy
Antonio Callaway - WR - GatorsNFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang lists Florida WR Antonio Callaway as a potential "diamond in the rough" in the 2018 NFL Draft.
Callaway's issues have been well-documented, and with good reason. Nevertheless, when he's been on the field, the talent has been electric despite playing with horrific quarterback play during his time with the Gators. "Gallaway’s character needs plenty of investigating after three incident-filled years in Gainesville, but it won’t take scouts long to acknowledge his rare athleticism," writes Rang. "Scouts, in fact, could see shades of another former Diamond in the Rough — Chiefs’ Pro Bowler Tyreek Hill — as both possess the elusiveness and acceleration to offer big-play potential as a receiver, runner and returner."Source: NFL Draft Scout Apr 3 - 10:14 PM

I thought we had multiple 6th rounders. Either way, I doubt he will be available in the 6th or 7th round.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
I thought we had multiple 6th rounders. Either way, I doubt he will be available in the 6th or 7th round.
Give it a minute.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Give it a minute.
I sure hope Rick realizes we are not in a position to absorb 10 rookies, including a half dozen 6th and 7th rounders. 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Give it a minute.
I sure hope Rick realizes we are not in a position to absorb 10 rookies, including a half dozen 6th and 7th rounders. 
It's not about getting a half dozen 6th or 7th rounders on the roster.  It's about getting a lot of chances to find the one that might make a difference.  Over a decade or something, if you are bringing in 50 low probability guys into camp instead of 20, you're odds are that much better at finding the one Diggs or Theilen or whoever.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Give it a minute.
It's not about getting a half dozen 6th or 7th rounders on the roster.  It's about getting a lot of chances to find the one that might make a difference.  Over a decade or something, if you are bringing in 50 low probability guys into camp instead of 20, you're odds are that much better at finding the one Diggs or Theilen or whoever.
To be blunt, the draft really isn't the place to find these types of players. The expectation is that you're going to hit on your 1-3rd rounders each year and achieve at least two years of contribution from your 4th-5th rounders. 6th-7th rounders are expected to at least make a strong push to make the active roster. The willingness to spend on UDFA's and give minimal guarantees is where you cast your net wide to find diamonds in the rough. Those are 10-15 guys you hope 1-2 end up making a difference. 

But to hit on a larger point, Callaway is no diamond in the rough. Rang is really taking the low hanging fruit on this one. Talent wise he'd likely be a 1st round pick if he weren't a complete knucklehead. 

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Give it a minute.
My impression is that a pretty high percentage of 6th and 7th rounders tend to make the team.  That is for most teams. I do not think we are in that situation anymore. I would rather RS trade most or all of our 6th and 7th round picks for higher picks in this or next year's draft. If they want to bring in two dozen guys who went undrafted in the hopes of finding the next Thielen, that's fine. 

What does shoe leather will slap oak mean??

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Give it a minute.
To be blunt, the draft really isn't the place to find these types of players. The expectation is that you're going to hit on your 1-3rd rounders each year and achieve at least two years of contribution from your 4th-5th rounders. 6th-7th rounders are expected to at least make a strong push to make the active roster. The willingness to spend on UDFA's and give minimal guarantees is where you cast your net wide to find diamonds in the rough. Those are 10-15 guys you hope 1-2 end up making a difference. 
I think it goes without saying that the higher a draft pick the more expectations a team has for them, but it doesn't really explain the strategy of why Spielman brings in 4-5x 6th-7th rounders while the Packers draft strategy leads them to bring in 3x 6th-7th rounders.  Why does Spielman target 10 draft picks when the average team drafts less than 8?  Why does Spielman choose quantity over quality in the draft?