Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rams are at it again ...
They traded their first round pick to NE for Cooks and a 4th. They are clearly taking their shot this coming season. Cooks will likely be a more productive deep threat next season than any rookie WR they would likely get in the draft. But how many years does he have left on his contract? Then what? But I give them credit for being aggressive and taking their shot to win it all next season. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
They traded their first round pick to NE for Cooks and a 4th. They are clearly taking their shot this coming season. Cooks will likely be a more productive deep threat next season than any rookie WR they would likely get in the draft. But how many years does he have left on his contract? Then what? But I give them credit for being aggressive and taking their shot to win it all next season. 
Seems bizarre IMO.  A 2nd year coach, 3rd year QB and they are acting like the window is closing.  I would take a different approach, make sure the coach and QB can replicate their success, give them tools for sure, but this seems like desperation.

Perhaps it is more financial than on the field.  The desire to attract viewers perhaps?  The need to seem like they are going all in to generate excitement in a ho-hum sports city.

I thought they were overrated and being overly hyped last year as they were beating bad teams (when they played them).  Maybe they're just trying to catch up to the media.  Well, we've seen all sorts of sports teams try to create or claim to have created the dream team only to watch it fail.

Now Belichick can trade his two first rounders for OBJ...  :o :o :o

Quote: @Kentis said:
Now Belichick can trade his two first rounders for OBJ...  :o :o :o
A 23 and a 31? I don’t think so. They will need more ammo than that. And how about finding a Left Tackle to replace Solder?  It’s hard to throw passes from flat on your back. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@dadevike said:
Seems bizarre IMO.  A 2nd year coach, 3rd year QB and they are acting like the window is closing.  I would take a different approach, make sure the coach and QB can replicate their success, give them tools for sure, but this seems like desperation.

Perhaps it is more financial than on the field.  The desire to attract viewers perhaps?  The need to seem like they are going all in to generate excitement in a ho-hum sports city.
Exact opposite. They're trying to fit as much talent under the cap as they can when Goff only costs $7.6 & $8.9M against the cap in 2018/19. If you think about it compared to teams like MN, GB, ATL, DET, etc.. who are paying QB's top money, they're trying invest the additional $18-20M they're saving on Goff in additional weapons on both sides of the ball. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@greediron said:
@dadevike said:

Exact opposite. They're trying to fit as much talent under the cap as they can when Goff only costs $7.6 & $8.9M against the cap in 2018/19. If you think about it compared to teams like MN, GB, ATL, DET, etc.. who are paying QB's top money, they're trying invest the additional $18-20M they're saving on Goff in additional weapons on both sides of the ball. 
The Rams see what the Eagles were able to do - win it all with their franchise QB on his rookie contract. Why not them?  That’s why I say you have to give them credit for the bold moves.

The Cowboys have a young star QB and RB, but they cannot manage their cap responsibly so they are struggling to put talent around them. They are limited to the draft.

NFL.com:

The reality is probably a lot more boring: The Patriotslikely didn't want to pay Cooks. Entering the final, fifth-year option of his rookie contract, Cooks was due for a massive extension this offseason or next. Based on what receivers Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson earned on the open market this year, that could have been a difficult contract for Patriots coach Bill Belichick to swallow. Then again, trying to get inside of Belichick's mind is a lonely, fool's errand.
The Rams were clearly interested buyers here, with multiple reports indicating they chased Cooks for weeks, ultimately sending the No. 23 overall pick and a sixth-rounder to New England. That first-round selection is nine spots higher than the one the Patriots sent to the Saints for Cooks a year ago in a trade that proved to be a fruitful one-year rental for Belichick and Co.

The Rams are trying to sell very expensive PSLs for the new stadium. It will take these types of moves to get the A listers out west to show up.

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
NFL.com:

The reality is probably a lot more boring: The Patriotslikely didn't want to pay Cooks. Entering the final, fifth-year option of his rookie contract, Cooks was due for a massive extension this offseason or next. Based on what receivers Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson earned on the open market this year, that could have been a difficult contract for Patriots coach Bill Belichick to swallow. Then again, trying to get inside of Belichick's mind is a lonely, fool's errand.
The Rams were clearly interested buyers here, with multiple reports indicating they chased Cooks for weeks, ultimately sending the No. 23 overall pick and a sixth-rounder to New England. That first-round selection is nine spots higher than the one the Patriots sent to the Saints for Cooks a year ago in a trade that proved to be a fruitful one-year rental for Belichick and Co.
The Patriots don't give big money receivers second contracts. So the ability to flip Cooks for more than they gave up was a no brainer.

When you net out the Patriots trade for Cooks they traded a 4th round pick for a 1,000 yard receiver on a $1.6M contract. The move from #32 in 17' to #23 in 18' nets out the 3rd round pick in 2017. They also end up saving $8.5M in 2018 as well. 

The Rams got a good player but the Patriots helped themselves dramatically financially without having to sell for pennies on the dollar.