Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roto Top 50

Value at OL is clearly in that 30 to 45 range. Watch for Rick to trade down, pick up a 4th and still get one of the top 2 or 3 OL. 

I am really liking Hernandez at 30 the more I look into the draft:

Very good size and a lot of expereince

Will Hernandez | G | UTEPHeight | 6-3
Weight | 330
Class | Senior
College Bio Page
The Miners aren’t necessarily known for churning out top prospects, but this two-time second-team All-American is the rare exception. A dominant force who is at his best plowing the road in the ground game, Hernandez has a fantastic combination of intelligence and power, and he puts it to good use.
One of the most experienced players in the entire draft class, Hernandez started a ridiculous 49 straight games at left guard, rarely getting beaten during that four-year stretch. He’s got all the tools to be a plug-and-play starter at the next level.

Quote: @minny65 said:

Weight | 330
Class | Senior
College Bio Page
The Miners aren’t necessarily known for churning out top prospects, but this two-time second-team All-American is the rare exception. A dominant force who is at his best plowing the road in the ground game, Hernandez has a fantastic combination of intelligence and power, and he puts it to good use.
One of the most experienced players in the entire draft class, Hernandez started a ridiculous 49 straight games at left guard, rarely getting beaten during that four-year stretch. He’s got all the tools to be a plug-and-play starter at the next level.
isnt there concern that he isnt athletic enough to play in our ZB scheme?  I thought somebody was saying that he isnt really able to pull and would be a poor fit for the Vikes.

I like Hernandez as well, but the way Norris has it set up, he would be the 4th interior O-lineman.  The only tackle Norris had going in the first was McGlinchey.
If the Vikings are looking at OL with the first pick, I think trading back a few spots, assuming that is even an option, would be the better move. If trading back is not an option, I might go OT rather than guard with the first pick - Williams or Miller.
I noticed Orlando Brown did not crack his top 50. That kid hurt himself at the Combines.

Quote: @RushmoreVike said:
@minny65 said:

Weight | 330
Class | Senior
College Bio Page
isnt there concern that he isnt athletic enough to play in our ZB scheme?  I thought somebody was saying that he isnt really able to pull and would be a poor fit for the Vikes.
Not sure about Hernandez and ZB scheme.  I slightly remember that thought in terms of Price but maybe it was Hernandez, not sure.

Here is a blip on 3 Guards from Daniel Jeremiah:

#25 prospect - Hernandez has average height and a very thick/square build for the position. He lines up at left guard for the Miners and completely dominates in the run game. He is quick out of his stance and uses his upper strength to torque and dump defenders at the point of attack. He does a nice job of re-working his hands to maintain inside position and maintain leverage. In pass protection, he has the power base to anchor bull rushers and surprising quickness to redirect vs. athletic defenders. He piles up some gnarly knockdowns when he's uncovered. He's always looking for extra work. Overall, Hernandez is a tempo setter in the run game and more than adequate in the passing game. He had a great Senior Bowl and combine.

#37 prospect - Wynn was an undersized left tackle for the Bulldogs; he projects as a starting guard at the next level. In the run game, he is sudden out of his stance and can roll his hips on contact, generating movement at the point of attack. His hand strength is outstanding. He's very effective as a puller because of his ability to redirect and cover up linebackers in space. In pass protection, he keeps his hands tight and he's a natural knee-bender. He will lunge and whiff on rare occasions, but he's usually patient and stays on balance. He is very aware of blitzers (see: him vs. Minkah Fitzpatrick in the national title game). Wynn has some previous experience at guard and I believe he has Pro Bowl ability at that position

#49 prospect - Price was a four-year starter for the Buckeyes. He played both guard and center during his career. He was a very dominant run blocker while lining up at center in 2017. He has quick feet and a very powerful base. He latches on and flashes the upper torque to rag-doll opposing defenders. He isn't a great knee-bender, but once he gets his hands on you, he stays attached. He does struggle with balance at the second level. He gets overly aggressive and ends up on the ground too often. In pass protection, he can anchor easily against power rushers and he's very aware vs. twists and stunts. I love his strength, toughness and position flexibility. He's not an elite athlete, but he's a Day 1 starter at either guard or center. He did suffer a pectoral injury while performing in the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine and was unable to work out.

@minny65 said:

Weight | 330
Class | Senior
College Bio Page
That was me. I've watched a lot more of the interior lineman at this point than when I first commented around the end of January on them. Overall I still really like Hernandez the player, I just don't think the Vikings blocking scheme as run under Shurmur would get the most out of him. It wouldn't matter in pass protection since he would be set, but in the run game the Vikings like to get their guards pulled and running down the field. Hernandez can do this, but you aren't going to see him running 10+ yards down the field consistently on screens. I wouldn't go so far to say the Vikings should pass on him due to fit. But I do think there would need to be an adjustment on both sides to get the most out of it. 

Wynn is by far the best fit for MN, but it unlikely that he will last until 30. I think very highly of him and would even suggest trading up into the middle 20's if there was a chance to grab him. He is a plug and play O-lineman. 

Price was an interesting evaluation for me. His pec injury was a fluke since he's been incredibly durable throughout college. But he does rely a lot on brute strength which could lead to some issues in the NFL when matched against interior lineman who know the leverage game. Price knows how to use leverage to his advantage but sometimes assumes he can just overpower rushers and linebackers and ends up getting beat on the angle and on the ground. Correctable, yes. But isn't ideal for a player with so many miles under their belt. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@RushmoreVike said:
@minny65 said:

Weight | 330
Class | Senior
College Bio Page
That was me. I've watched a lot more of the interior lineman at this point than when I first commented around the end of January on them. Overall I still really like Hernandez the player, I just don't think the Vikings blocking scheme as run under Shurmur would get the most out of him. It wouldn't matter in pass protection since he would be set, but in the run game the Vikings like to get their guards pulled and running down the field. Hernandez can do this, but you aren't going to see him running 10+ yards down the field consistently on screens. I wouldn't go so far to say the Vikings should pass on him due to fit. But I do think there would need to be an adjustment on both sides to get the most out of it. 

Wynn is by far the best fit for MN, but it unlikely that he will last until 30. I think very highly of him and would even suggest trading up into the middle 20's if there was a chance to grab him. He is a plug and play O-lineman. 

Price was an interesting evaluation for me. His pec injury was a fluke since he's been incredibly durable throughout college. But he does rely a lot on brute strength which could lead to some issues in the NFL when matched against interior lineman who know the leverage game. Price knows how to use leverage to his advantage but sometimes assumes he can just overpower rushers and linebackers and ends up getting beat on the angle and on the ground. Correctable, yes. But isn't ideal for a player with so many miles under their belt. 
So Geoff,

Trying to clarify your thought process:

You would consider moving up for Wynn into the mid 20's....looking at the chart we could give up our 3rd to move up to 24 with Carolina if Wynn is available.  You would be for that?  Sounds like a Wynn/Win to me.  

Hernandez is not a great fit and you would probably pass on him with our 30th.

Price doesn't sound like an ideal fit at 30 either from what I read from your summary.

Say, Hernandez and/or Price were available at 30 would you try and trade down into the early second and pick up a 3rd rounder?

Quote: @minny65 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@RushmoreVike said:
@minny65 said:

Weight | 330
Class | Senior
College Bio Page

So Geoff,

You would consider moving up for Wynn into the mid 20's....looking at the chart we could give up our 3rd to move up to 24 with Carolina if Wynn is available.  You would be for that?  Sounds like a Wynn/Win to me.  

Price doesn't sound like an ideal fit at 30 either from what I read from your summary.

Say, Hernandez and/or Price were available at 30 would you try and trade down into the early second and pick up a 3rd rounder?
I am curious to hear what Geoff would do here as well.  

IMO we need to trade down and get an extra 3rd.   This draft sounds like as good of a draft for filling our needs as any recent and having an extra day 2 pick would be ideal... as long as trader Rick doesnt try and turn it into extra day 3 picks.   we need quality,  not quantity.

@minny65 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@RushmoreVike said:
@minny65 said:

Weight | 330
Class | Senior
College Bio Page

So Geoff,

I am curious to hear what Geoff would do here as well.  

IMO we need to trade down and get an extra 3rd.   This draft sounds like as good of a draft for filling our needs as any recent and having an extra day 2 pick would be ideal... as long as trader Rick doesnt try and turn it into extra day 3 picks.   we need quality,  not quantity.
You could conceivably give up this years 3 if you wanted to go up and get Wynn. Ultimately it always comes down to how the board falls and how far you'd actually have to move up. If the draft is at selection #23 and Wynn, McGlinchey, and Hernandez are all still on the board you probably wouldn't give up a pick until at least one of those three is off the board. But say that Wynn is your guy and he is the only one remaining at #23, you manipulate the board.  

You give up #30 and #94 to make the jump. But then you're still left with #62 which you can turn into a 3rd and 4th round pick if you need to. So really the offset would be trading up in the 1st to trade out of the 2nd and pick up a 4th instead. Getting the OG you want and fits your scheme is likely worth that.