Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will any Vikings 2019 free agents bet on themselves?
Here’s a safe bet: When Minnesota Vikings training camp opens in Eagan this summer, the team will be holding a press conference or three to announce contract extensions.After next season, four key Vikings players are set to hit the free agent market: Stefon Diggs, Danielle Hunter, Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks.

That’s assuming the Vikings pick up Trae Waynes’ fifth-year option. Latavius Murray, Sheldon Richardson and Nick Easton will also become free agents.
The Vikings have been savvy enough with the cap that they can afford to keep the Big Four. They currently have around $20 million in salary and could restructure certain deals to lower cap hits such as Kyle Rudolph’s $7.6 million in 2019.
The only potential snag for keeping Diggs, Hunter Barr and Kendricks is the possibility that one or more of them could prefer to play out the 2018 season and attempt to hit free agency next season.
Of course, the Vikings could still use the franchise tag on one player if they choose.
So which player would have the best argument for betting on themselves to have a big year in 2019 and aim for a huge contract?
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...gents-bet/

Diggs will most assuredly bet on himself.

Quote: @"SkolVikings44" said:
He will probably play all 16 games this year.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"SkolVikings44" said:
He will probably play all 16 games this year.
wow. Ouch! lol :p

I would "try" to extend Hunter now with the Buy-low concept.  He had a decent year but BRob still got a ton of snaps in his place so not an every play starter as of yet.  Zimmer's defensive scheme also benefits Hunter specifically with sack numbers.  

I would then move onto trying to extend Kendricks.

I would want another year look at Barr and Diggs before I throw huge numbers at them.  Diggs primarily to see if he cn play a whole season and Barr primarily to see if he can put back-to-back good seasons together.  Barr has been very inconsistent IMO and Zimmer might be able to find a similar player for a lot less money but another year to evaluate is crucial.  

Quote: @"SkolVikings44" said:

I think this will be the case, assuming the Vikings offer him a deal which is for a #2 WR. My hunch is Diggs would reject an offer under $10M per season.
My bet is that we see Barr and Kendricks both sign extensions before camp. Zimmer likes both of them, they seem to like playing together, deals could get done fairly close.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
I would "try" to extend Hunter now with the Buy-low concept.  He had a decent year but BRob still got a ton of snaps in his place so not an every play starter as of yet.  Zimmer's defensive scheme also benefits Hunter specifically with sack numbers.  

I would want another year look at Barr and Diggs before I throw huge numbers at them.  Diggs primarily to see if he cn play a whole season and Barr primarily to see if he can put back-to-back good seasons together.  Barr has been very inconsistent IMO and Zimmer might be able to find a similar player for a lot less money but another year to evaluate is crucial.  
Although extending a player a year in advance can generally get you a slight discount, I don't think that will be the case for Danielle. He is the 6th most productive pass rusher under the age of 24 in NFL history.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"minny65" said:

Although extending a player a year in advance can generally get you a slight discount, I don't think that will be the case for Danielle. He is the 6th most productive pass rusher under the age of 24 in NFL history.  
Im not sure how many that is.  It seems that would mainly include guys on rookie contracts.  Perhaps that shows what they expect him to be in a few years, Top 5 pass rusher in the league?