Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharrif Floyd breaks silence with Instagram post
Floyd has not stepped on the field since Week 1 of the 2016 season when he suffered a torn meniscus. The Vikings’ promising defensive tackle reportedly suffered nerve damage during surgery, which may ultimately end his career. During training camp he worked out on the side, but was not present in practice during the 2017 season.

The Star Tribune reported that Floyd is awaiting the results of a grievance with hopes that he can recover the $6.8 million he was scheduled to be paid this season. He was placed on the non-football injury list, which does not require teams to pay his salary – though according to the Strib report he was given a $2 million base salary and his roster bonus. Floyd argues that he should not have been placed on the NFI list because his injury was football related.
On Saturday, he posted a statement on Instagram and screen grab of quotes from head coach Mike Zimmer following his injury.
Floyd wrote, “I’m sharing this picture first because it was 2 days before I went into surgery. Those words were used to slander my name, tarnish me as a person and a player.”
The Vikings signed Sheldon Richardson last week, ending any chance that Floyd could return even if he does recover.
See his entire post here:
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...gram-post/

I didn't realize till those posts how contentious this is looking to get...

I feel bad for Floyd. He was a young and talented player who will likely never play again.

Now the question becomes whether his was a football related injury. You really need to define what injury you are talking about. I assume the torn meniscus was football related. If, however, you argue that the real injury here is the nerve damage, that may be a med-mal injury. Of course, the surgery would not have been necessary but for the torn meniscus (i.e., the football injury). Does that make the nerve injury a football related injury, too?

As for the instagram post, I don’t think there is anything slanderous there.  No doubt that Zim sounded frustrated, but he sounds just like Parcells and plenty of other coaches. They don’t have a lot to say about a player who cannot help them win games. 

I’m sure Floyd is suing the surgeon and the hospital and whoever else msy be legally liable.  I wish him the best with that. But he is not a Viking anymore.

Does Zimmer regret saying what he said?  I'm sure he does given the circumstances...

But how is he supposed to know that 2 days later, a doctor is going to fuck up Floyd's football career by botching a surgery?

I wish him good health most of all, but on the football field he was well paid for providing little over 5 years.

If I had a dollar for every coach that made a comment like that about an injured player... well, I'd have a dollar for every coach the league has ever had.

You can't blame people for injuries, and I'm sure Zimmer doesn't place any sort of blame on Shariff Floyd for what happened to his leg.

He's going through a tough time right now.  The team and the NFL have to figure out how to deal with his injury settlement.  There are state laws to deal with, and salary cap ramifications potentially.  And then there's whether or not an extension would have been offered if he was healthy and whether the team should or would be liable for that.  And PR issues associated with not settling well.  And CBA negotiating issues down the road.  And whether or not the Vikings' insurance policy will cover any of this.  So the league, the Vikings, the insurance company, likely the Union, and Floyd's lawyers all have to come to an agreed on number and none of that is going to happen quickly and meanwhile Floyd has the same bills he had when he was making millions a year and is starting to realize that this next check is probably the last big one he'll ever get.

I don't fault the guy for complaining.  But I don't feel like this makes Zimmer look particularly bad either.  I hope this is motivation for everyone to get moving on a settlement agreement so the guy can focus on getting healthy and preparing for the future.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Does Zimmer regret saying what he said?  I'm sure he does given the circumstances...

But how is he supposed to know that 2 days later, a doctor is going to fuck up Floyd's football career by botching a surgery?
It bothers me when people say things like "a doctor botched his surgery" when they don't have the slightest idea what really happened. This isn't just directed at you, but also at the undereducated media that perpetuates nonsense.

If you read all the available information about Floyd's injury, he had a meniscus tear. He had arthroscopic surgery. Now he has "weakness of his quadriceps" from "nerve damage".

The only nerves that can be damaged during meniscus repair are the peroneal nerve (lateral repair) or saphenous nerve (medial repair). A peroneal nerve injury results in a foot drop due to lower leg weakness (see: Jaylon Smith). A saphenous nerve injury does not result in loss of motor function.

The femoral nerve innervates the quadriceps. It can develop neuropathy or temporary dysfunction following a nerve block, which is sometimes given to provide anesthesia during a knee surgery. The rate of this is <1%. The rate of longer term (>6 month) femoral nerve paralysis after femoral block is <0.03%. The only other way the femoral nerve could be damaged is by a tourniquet, which also has a rate of femoral nerve injury <0.03% and typically occurs in elderly patients with low muscle mass as the nerve has very little tissue to protect it from the tourniquet. Looking at Floyd's legs, this wouldn't be an issue for him.

Quadriceps weakness after a knee injury is very common, however, due to quadriceps activation failure. This is not due to a nerve injury but instead is a feedback loop created by pain that prevents the quadriceps from firing and leads to atrophy of the muscle and problems getting the muscle to fire. This isn't necessarily something a surgeon can prevent.

So, with the information that has been publicly provided, Floyd likely has either quadriceps activation failure (very common) or femoral nerve paralysis from a femoral block (very, very rare and we aren't sure if he received a block). Further, a femoral nerve block is often given by the anesthesiologist and not the surgeon.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I feel bad for Floyd. He was a young and talented player who will likely never play again.

Now the question becomes whether his was a football related injury. You really need to define what injury you are talking about. I assume the torn meniscus was football related. If, however, you argue that the real injury here is the nerve damage, that may be a med-mal injury. Of course, the surgery would not have been necessary but for the torn meniscus (i.e., the football injury). Does that make the nerve injury a football related injury, too?

As for the instagram post, I don’t think there is anything slanderous there.  No doubt that Zim sounded frustrated, but he sounds just like Parcells and plenty of other coaches. They don’t have a lot to say about a player who cannot help them win games. 

I’m sure Floyd is suing the surgeon and the hospital and whoever else msy be legally liable.  I wish him the best with that. But he is not a Viking anymore.
Unless Floyd's "nerve injury" occurred due to negligence, then it won't be a malpractice case. Why would you wish a guy the best with suing his surgeon and the hospital when you aren't even privy to the details of the case? Further, why would you wish him the best in a lawsuit against his surgeon and the hospital when said lawsuit may not even exist? 

I know the answer, but it's still worth asking.

Quote: @claykenny said:
@dadevike said:

Unless Floyd's "nerve injury" occurred due to negligence, then it won't be a malpractice case. Why would you wish a guy the best with suing his surgeon and the hospital when you aren't even privy to the details of the case? Further, why would you wish him the best in a lawsuit against his surgeon and the hospital when said lawsuit may not even exist? 

I know the answer, but it's still worth asking.

If Floyd sues the doctor for malpractice, it is a medical malpractice case. Whether he can prove negligence and prevail in his malpractice case is a separate issue. It would still be a medical malpractice case.
From what has been reported in the media, Floyd is suffering nerve damage that occurred as a result of surgery to repair a meniscus tear. Maybe the media reports are wrong. Maybe they simply accepted Floyd's version of the events or those of his agent or lawyer. I did not do an independent investigation into the accuracy of the reports.  I took them at face value.
As for a lawsuit, if no medical professionals have advised Floyd that his surgeon screwed up or, alternatively, if all agree that the nerve damage was the result of the knee injury, then there will likely be no lawsuit. And wishing him luck on a non-existent lawsuit should not really trouble anyone. It would be harmless.
But assuming the reports are right, or that other medical professionals give Floyd an opinion that his surgeon screwed up, I am about 99% confident that Floyd will sue the doctor.  If he does, I wish him luck.
Why would I wish him luck in such a case? You say you "know the answer but it's still worth asking." Well, you SHOULD know the answer. It is not a secret. I provided it right at the start of my post.  Here it is again: "I feel bad for Floyd. He was a young and talented player who will likely never play again."

Quote: @claykenny said:

It bothers me when people say things like "a doctor botched his surgery" when they don't have the slightest idea what really happened. This isn't just directed at you, but also at the undereducated media that perpetuates nonsense.

If you read all the available information about Floyd's injury, he had a meniscus tear. He had arthroscopic surgery. Now he has "weakness of his quadriceps" from "nerve damage".

The only nerves that can be damaged during meniscus repair are the peroneal nerve (lateral repair) or saphenous nerve (medial repair). A peroneal nerve injury results in a foot drop due to lower leg weakness (see: Jaylon Smith). A saphenous nerve injury does not result in loss of motor function.

The femoral nerve innervates the quadriceps. It can develop neuropathy or temporary dysfunction following a nerve block, which is sometimes given to provide anesthesia during a knee surgery. The rate of this is <1%. The rate of longer term (>6 month) femoral nerve paralysis after femoral block is <0.03%. The only other way the femoral nerve could be damaged is by a tourniquet, which also has a rate of femoral nerve injury <0.03% and typically occurs in elderly patients with low muscle mass as the nerve has very little tissue to protect it from the tourniquet. Looking at Floyd's legs, this wouldn't be an issue for him.

Quadriceps weakness after a knee injury is very common, however, due to quadriceps activation failure. This is not due to a nerve injury but instead is a feedback loop created by pain that prevents the quadriceps from firing and leads to atrophy of the muscle and problems getting the muscle to fire. This isn't necessarily something a surgeon can prevent.

So, with the information that has been publicly provided, Floyd likely has either quadriceps activation failure (very common) or femoral nerve paralysis from a femoral block (very, very rare and we aren't sure if he received a block). Further, a femoral nerve block is often given by the anesthesiologist and not the surgeon.
Interesting...  assuming this is true, it would seem that Floyd actually has a stronger case that this was a football injury and he should be paid his full salary.  The media painted a much different picture...  thanks for the insight.

BOOM