Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster Depth
While the Vikings have a strong roster, they have lost a lot of players this season. They can fill some of that void through the draft and rookie free agents and while they may be trying to stockpile some compensation picks for next year, I have some mild concerns about them being able to fill out the roster with quality & experienced players.

Notable players we have lost:

RG Joe Berger (Retired)
QB Sam Bradford
QB Teddy Bridgewater
CB Tremaine Brock
WR Michael Floyd (not expected to be re-signed)
UT Sharrif Floyd (injuries)
UT Tom Johnson
QB Case Keenum
LB Emmanuel Lamur
HB Jerrick McKinnon
OL Jeremiah Sirles
NT Shamar Stephen
WR Jarius Wright

Notable players we have added:

OL Tom Compton
QB Kirk Cousins
UT Sheldon Richardson
QB Trevor Siemian

How do you think the Vikings can address losing so much roster depth?

They continue to do so and losing quality depth will be exposed later in games. Yes they will replace it with young players with little experience and the holes will not be filled.
A lot of the depth they've lost also had starting experience. I understand the concept but outside looking in it almost looks like they are rebuilding just when they've got the team where they want to be.
SMH, I don't quite understand it.

I think there is some rebuilding going on. Not a total rebuild but a slight rebuild to accommoate the free agent signings and then the draft is coming up. Also there is still work to be done on the OL as well as defensive depth concerns. It's going to be interesting to see how it all comes together. 

totally agree.  Wright, Stephen, Sirles, Johnson, M. Floyd, Brock, all were contributors (often as starters) never given a real chance or developing players.  none of them represent big contracts.  i know this is a business and sometimes fans get too emotionally involved in the players they have watched but i dont apologize for that—Hey, we’re FANS!  what I don’t understand about RS is how he goes about his business.  Too many players are dealt with without regard to what they have given to the team.  Ask Sharrif Floyd this week. 

Quote: @"Tyr" said:
While the Vikings have a strong roster, they have lost a lot of players this season. They can fill some of that void through the draft and rookie free agents and while they may be trying to stockpile some compensation picks for next year, I have some mild concerns about them being able to fill out the roster with quality & experienced players.

RG Joe Berger (Retired)........................................................ Tom Compton
QB Sam Bradford................................................................. Kirk Cousins
QB Teddy Bridgewater......................................................... Trevor Siemian
CB Tremaine Brock.............................................................. A soggy Tuna Sandwich?  I was seriously unimpressed with Brock
WR Michael Floyd (not expected to be re-signed).................Coley?
UT Sharrif Floyd (injuries)..................................................... Hasn't really played in how long?  Can you really call him depth?
UT Tom Johnson................................................................... Sheldon Richardson
QB Case Keenum..................................................................Sloter
LB Emmanuel Lamur.............................................................?
HB Jerrick McKinnon.............................................................Mack/Ham/?
OL Jeremiah Sirles................................................................1st Rd Pick?
NT Shamar Stephen..............................................................2nd Rd Pick?
WR Jarius Wright...................................................................?

OL Tom Compton
QB Kirk Cousins
UT Sheldon Richardson
QB Trevor Siemian

We still have the second and third waves of free agency and the lower rds of the draft -- Are we really that thin?

I would think Compton would be more a Sirles replacement than a Berger replacement.

Quote: @"Watcher" said:
@"Tyr" said:

RG Joe Berger (Retired)........................................................ Tom Compton
QB Sam Bradford................................................................. Kirk Cousins
QB Teddy Bridgewater......................................................... Trevor Siemian
CB Tremaine Brock.............................................................. A soggy Tuna Sandwich?  I was seriously unimpressed with Brock
WR Michael Floyd (not expected to be re-signed).................Coley?
UT Sharrif Floyd (injuries)..................................................... Hasn't really played in how long?  Can you really call him depth?
UT Tom Johnson................................................................... Sheldon Richardson
QB Case Keenum..................................................................Sloter
LB Emmanuel Lamur.............................................................?
HB Jerrick McKinnon.............................................................Mack/Ham/?
OL Jeremiah Sirles................................................................1st Rd Pick?
NT Shamar Stephen..............................................................2nd Rd Pick?
WR Jarius Wright...................................................................?

OL Tom Compton
QB Kirk Cousins
UT Sheldon Richardson
QB Trevor Siemian

We still have the second and third waves of free agency and the lower rds of the draft -- Are we really that thin?

1. RG Joe Berger - ???2. QB Sam Bradford - Kirk Cousins3. QB Teddy Bridgewater - Trevor Siemian4. CB Tremain Brock - ??? :: I agree that I wasn't very impressed with him, but between him going and Newman and Sherles still waiting to be re-signed CB is looking thin right now.5. WR Michael Floyd - WR Stacy Coley :: Seems fair that he'd get a shot at some point.6. UT Shariff Floyd - UT Sheldon Richardson :: Floyd has missed the last two seasons because of injuries, but his absence was definitely felt. A quick penetrating DT not to mention the extra depth would have been huge last season.7. UT Tom Johnson - UT Jaleel Johnson :: Maybe Jaleel finally shows some signs of life.8. QB Case Keenum - QB Kyle Sloter or draft pick :: People seem to like Sloter, but waiting to see something from him.9. LB Emmanuel Lamur - LB Eric Wilson (?) :: Coaches seem to like him.10. HB Jerrick McKinnon - ??? :: Ham is a FB and I'm not familiar with Mack Brown. He's only had a few touches in 3-years, so this maybe be a draft need.11. OL Jeremiah Sirles - OL Tom Compton12. NT Shamar Stepehen - ??? :: Richardson and Johnson seem more like 3-techniques, so a back NT even as a rotational piece would be nice to have.13. WR Jarius Wright - ???

It's quite striking to see so many experienced players not being brought back. They are definitely losing a lot of experience and while that will create opportunities for younger players like Jaleel Johnson, Stacy Cooley, and Eric Wilson, it does mean that we will have a lot of untested depth. It also makes me think that a lot of rookies and rookie free agents may make the roster this year to fill things out. They seem to be trying to get compensation picks, which is fine, but there are still certain veterans they could pursue who don't impact that formula. Kind of wonder if things will be quite until after the draft?

Sirles, Wright and Stephen were tough for me as a fan...Shariff hasn't played in how many years now? Floyd? Not sure we wont see him back. 

They needed to pay handsomely for a franchise qb and they've got: 
Diggs
Barr
Kendricks
Hunter

On the docket...Welcome to the NFL when you are paying a franchise QB. 
Spielman knows that people are concerned about the team’s salary cap in the coming years, but he said the team has it under control.
“[Executive Vice President] Rob Brzezinski does an outstanding job with the cap,” Spielman said. “We know we have some extensions coming up and we want to make sure that we have enough room to potentially get some extensions done coming up here in the near future.”

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3409083]

Not terribly concerned at this point except starting OL and backup DL.  Every year we've wondered why our draft picks aren't playing.  This year they'll get to.  We'll need 3 players from the draft to contribute.