Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Mr. Nichols
who out of Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Diggs get re-signed?

Isn't that a question for Speilman? lol
Hunter and Kendricks get resigned for sure. They will work hard as hell to get Diggs as well. I don't think Barr gets resigned. Maybe traded as well. All my opinion.
Now Mr. Nichols come on down! You are the next contestant on What we can make up today!

If it were me I would prioritize them: 

1. Hunter 
2. Barr 
3. Diggs
4. Kendricks 

Ultimately I think they'll all end up with new contracts in Minnesota. But I am not convinced they will do all 4 extensions this off-season. The question will be how willing Hunter and Diggs will be to do extensions now vs. next season. Both have good value now but strong seasons would push their contracts near the top of the market for their respective positions. Thielen will also get a new deal next off-season if he has another strong season, so just keep that in mind too. 

Barr is working on his 5th year option and is getting over 12 million, which is way too much.  Spotrac predicts future value for Barr of about 8 million per year.  

Barr, on paper, when you look at recent LB'ers similar that have been signed does not have their production.  According to just about everyone Barr is used by Zimmer in a unique role so his stats are difficult to compare to other 4-3 OLB's.  

Anyway, we have another full season to judge and evaluate all these guys.  A few might disappoint and a few might raise their game?

If Diggs can stay healthy again and produce then he will be a high priority, but what if he gets dinged again and misses multiple games?

Kendricks to me is the most likely to be locked up.

Hunter played well..not great, and didn't seize the starting role last year but this year he might?  Again another year to evaluate and see if he can be an all around DE or just a pass rush rotational guy.  He is so young and raw so I think we will be looking at resigning him.

Don't forget Easton will be a free agent as well.  Not that I see him as being a lock but again another season will answer a lot.

In order:  Kendricks first priority, probably then Diggs, then Hunter

Barr is an anomaly - he was not great two years ago and has missed a ton of tackles over the years but improved last year.  I would not early extend Barr right now, as some have proposed to cut back on the 12 million.  But he needs to have a big year to earn a second contract in the 8-10 per year range.  If he doesn't step up then we could use that Cap savings to put towards Kendricks, Diggs, Hunter, Easton if they all step up.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

1. Hunter 
2. Barr 
3. Diggs
4. Kendricks 

Ultimately I think they'll all end up with new contracts in Minnesota. But I am not convinced they will do all 4 extensions this off-season. The question will be how willing Hunter and Diggs will be to do extensions now vs. next season. Both have good value now but strong seasons would push their contracts near the top of the market for their respective positions. Thielen will also get a new deal next off-season if he has another strong season, so just keep that in mind too. 
I know you think Barr is the straw that stirs Zims defensive cocktails,  but IMO Kendricks has proven to be more of a play maker in this defense than AB.  Now maybe that is because Barr is playing a role that allows Kendricks more freedom,  but outside of Linval, Rhodes and Harry,  IMO Kendricks is the next best guy we have on that side of the ball.

Quote: @"RushmoreVike" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

1. Hunter 
2. Barr 
3. Diggs
4. Kendricks 

I know you think Barr is the straw that stirs Zims defensive cocktails,  but IMO Kendricks has proven to be more of a play maker in this defense than AB.  Now maybe that is because Barr is playing a role that allows Kendricks more freedom,  but outside of Linval, Rhodes and Harry,  IMO Kendricks is the next best guy we have on that side of the ball.

Kendricks and Hunter should be locked up first and then Diggs.

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"RushmoreVike" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

1. Hunter 
2. Barr 
3. Diggs
4. Kendricks 

Kendricks and Hunter should be locked up first and then Diggs.
I think Hunter has a lot to prove before giving him a big contract myself.  His physical skills are unquestionable,  his talent is there as well, but he hasnt shown to be a consistent play maker from that side in terms of QB pressure and run contain.  I think we saw a drop off at RDE last year from BRob getting the bulk of the snaps.   I am not just talking about sacks,  I am talking about the overall contribution from the position. 

Kendricks makes the most plays of the guys you have listed. I like Hunter, but....less tackles, less assists and less sacks this year playing as a starter than last year when he played less snaps. I know he's only 23 years old, but I think there's a book out on him now and he needs to evolve and grow. He's still not using his speed/power to get low and flat, beat the tackle and make the shortest line to the QB. He can't just bull rush or take these wide loops. He's got the waist of a big WR, not some lead in his ass which would come in handy sometimes.

IMO Diggs is the most interesting situation. Prior to the playoffs, I thought it was very clear he was no longer our #1 receiver and in 3 years had not established himself beyond the 2nd tier of NFL WRs. He has his moments, but also gets pretty quiet for stretches of each season. Had a monster game against Tampa in week 3 but never had another +100 yard or multi-TD game last year. Good WR, not great.
But then...THE MIRACLE.
Awesome catch and play, no doubt. It got an amazing amount of publicity, and so did Diggs. Now, he might think he's in Odell Beckham's class and maybe wants a top 10 WR contract. I have had people on this board tell me that Diggs deserves $12M per year. I wouldn't do it; I think that type of WR needs to take over the game at least 4-5 times a season and Diggs doesn't.
If Diggs wants a huge deal right now, I would hold off. I suppose he might build on the excitement of the Saints victory and have a monster season and the Vikings will regret not locking him up before this season. I just think he'll have another year of about 70 catches and 900 yards.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Kendricks makes the most plays of the guys you have listed. I like Hunter, but....less tackles, less assists and less sacks this year playing as a starter than last year when he played less snaps. I know he's only 23 years old, but I think there's a book out on him now and he needs to evolve and grow. He's still not using his speed/power to get low and flat, beat the tackle and make the shortest line to the QB. He can't just bull rush or take these wide loops. He's got the waist of a big WR, not some lead in his ass which would come in handy sometimes.
I think all of you are underestimating what Hunter does. If you adjust for snap counts he led the team in run stop %, QB pressures, QB hurries, QB hits, and tackling %. Everson picked up more sacks but if you watch them a lot of times it was due to pressure pushing the pocket his way. The Vikings defense isn't built to sack the QB, its built to pressure the QB. So the sack numbers are going to be inconsistent. Outside of Myles Garrett, Hunter is probably the 3rd best pass rusher in the NFL under 25. You don't let that walk out the door.