Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk Cousins' fast free agency journey to Vikings (Peter King)
Inside Kirk Cousins’ Fast Free Agency: Parental Jerseys, Silent Auctions and a Match Made in MinnesotaAnything in the NFL is old news if it happened 90 minutes ago, so covering something four days ago is so … ’90s. But indulge me. The Kirk Cousins story is still fresh to me, with lots of unanswered questions (Did the Jets get played? Was the fix in a month ago? Did the Broncos really not make an offer?) about the richest per-year contract in NFL history.
I’ve found the agent for Cousins, Mike McCartney, to be an honorable man in my dealings with him over the years. All of us in this business have to judge the people we come in contact with and make decisions on how much we trust them. Whenever McCartney has told me something, it’s been the truth. He mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago that he’d been keeping a journal on the Cousins negotiations, going back to the Washington days; he continued last week, when things got intense. 
So I asked him if he would run me through the Cousins sweepstakes, starting at 11 a.m. CT last Monday, when the NFL allowed agents and teams to begin negotiating. 
In an hour and 50 minutes on Saturday, he gave me his version of the events that led to Cousins’ three-year, $84-million fully guaranteed contract. A couple of things he would not discuss: He would not disclose any offers except the one that won—Minnesota. And though McCartney characterized the tenor of his talks with each team, he would not divulge privileged conversations with negotiators for any team...
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/19/kirk-c...peter-king

Good read.  Three things stuck out.

1. McCartney spoke that the fan base in Minnesota would be more "patient" with Cousins if he struggled.  I'm hopeful, but not so sure...New York media would crucify a QB who struggles, but I truly hope if he does struggle at first, Vikings fans have this patience he mentions. After 47 years of following this team, my patience is waning here at the close of my life.

2.  Leaving a couple #8 Vikings jerseys for the parents was just a real classy touch. There's no bigger fans than family, and for the organization to think along those lines, was damn nice.
Wish we found out more about the gear for Cooper...Hope the Vikings had a hand in his knit helmet...that was damn cute.

3.  Something NOT mentioned in the article....I find myself increasingly grateful for our ownership. The Wilfs have not been shy about bringing money to the table to try and win a Lombardi trophy.  New stadium, New TC facilities, hunting for the next "Bill Parcells", Classy outreach programs, FA spending.  They have made Minnesota an attractive destination for Players to come. 

All good points VG...I thought King did an excellent job bringing-us what they could "behind the scenes"

The Vikings Jersey tells me someone very smart with good people intuition is in the front office. Regarding fan patience? I guess that depends on how this plays out year 1 and on-ward. 

I believe the offense is going to need time to gel. They'll get zero games to do that with Philly on the docket game 1.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

I believe the offense is going to need time to gel. They'll get zero games to do that with Philly on the docket game 1.
That is what training camp and preseason are for...  and I think DeFillippo will have these guys ready Week 1.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

That is what training camp and preseason are for...  and I think DeFillippo will have these guys ready Week 1.
Yeah, they have to be ready. No excuses. Tough schedule. The Eagles won the Superbowl with their backup QB, so.....just get it done. Not saying Minnesota needs to win Game 1, but they'll need to get wins wherever they can.

i will give you 84 million reasons why the fans wont give them "time to gel"

he will have some rope,  but if this offense doesnt look like its hitting on at least 6 of the 8 cylinders week 1.... there will be grumbling and I would say we need to see at least a 3-1 start or there will be boos and murmuring.  the fan base has been sold a line and as starved as this group is they will be expecting nothing short of excellence. 

sure those that banged the table the hardest to sign cousins no matter the cost will be more tolerant of mistakes and a slow start,  but I think for most fans,  myself included,  we want to see top tier performance for our teams investment.   its not like a first round rookie that starts slow,  this is top dollar for a seasoned vet.  anything less than a nfc championship this coming year will be a failure imo unless we see the injury bug derail the effort once again.

Quote: @"RushmoreVike" said:

he will have some rope,  but if this offense doesnt look like its hitting on at least 6 of the 8 cylinders week 1.... there will be grumbling and I would say we need to see at least a 3-1 start or there will be boos and murmuring.  the fan base has been sold a line and as starved as this group is they will be expecting nothing short of excellence. 

sure those that banged the table the hardest to sign cousins no matter the cost will be more tolerant of mistakes and a slow start,  but I think for most fans,  myself included,  we want to see top tier performance for our teams investment.   its not like a first round rookie that starts slow,  this is top dollar for a seasoned vet.  anything less than a nfc championship this coming year will be a failure imo unless we see the injury bug derail the effort once again.

I hear ya.  But with our tough schedule this year and rumored 1st game in Philly, and new offensive coordinator, I won't be quick to pass judgement.  Sure we'll get antsy if we don't win a bunch of games, but all I'm hoping is that we are clicking at the end of the season and make the playoffs.  If we do that, hopefully get a home playoff game, I'm hopeful. 

Quote: @"NorthwestNorseman" said:
@"RushmoreVike" said:

I hear ya.  But with our tough schedule this year and rumored 1st game in Philly, and new offensive coordinator, I won't be quick to pass judgement.  Sure we'll get antsy if we don't win a bunch of games, but all I'm hoping is that we are clicking at the end of the season and make the playoffs.  If we do that, hopefully get a home playoff game, I'm hopeful. 
I think expectations are way more than just “hopeful.”

When you make it to the NFCC and dont even offer the QB a contract, then you make record breaking guarenteed contract to bring in his replacement, you can expect the boss is going to hold your feet to the fire.  

I am thinking this is about as high stakes as it gets in the NFL.  

Quote: @"Poiple" said:
@"NorthwestNorseman" said:
@"RushmoreVike" said:

I think expectations are way more than just “hopeful.”

When you make it to the NFCC and dont even offer the QB a contract, then you make record breaking guarenteed contract to bring in his replacement, you can expect the boss is going to hold your feet to the fire.  

I am thinking this is about as high stakes as it gets in the NFL.  
Yeah, I totally agree.  If Cousins doesn't light it up, fans will be plenty impatient.  We let go three guys that agruably could've led this team also.  Kirk should do well, and I think he will, but if he struggles, I'm sure the folks that wanted Case, Sam, or Teddy to stay with the team will be plenty vocal.

Teams that lose the NFCC game never do good the next year.  We would be very much the exception not the rule if we come out banging on all cylinders this next year.