Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins’ contract might not be popular with NFL owners but that isn’t Vikings’ concern
There’s a good chance the Minnesota Vikings aren’t very popular with the other 31 National Football League franchises right about now. Not after they became the first club in league history to dole out a multi-year, fully guaranteed contract to a quarterback.The three-year, $84 million deal that Kirk Cousins signed on Thursday — a figure that makes Cousins the highest-paid player in NFL history — almost certainly represents a shift in what quarterback contracts are going to look like going forward.
The Falcons want to retain Matt Ryan beyond the 2018 season? That will be no problem as long as Atlanta owner Arthur Blank makes sure every cent of Ryan’s deal is guaranteed. The Packers want to keep Aaron Rodgers after 2019? Same thing, every last dollar will have to be guaranteed. And we aren’t talking $84 million but something far closer to $100 million.
So how will Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf sleep tonight knowing the Cousins contract will be considered a major step forward for players? The guess here is just fine.
The decision to give Cousins so much in real cash might have been a blow to the other owners, but for the Vikings it was deemed to be a necessary step for a franchise that is still looking for its first Super Bowl win since entering the NFL in 1961 and has a six-game losing streak in NFC championship games.
The Wilfs, who bought the Vikings in 2005, have been around for only two of those defeats, 2009 and 2017, but they have grown tired of watching other teams celebrate Super Bowl championships. This includes the Philadelphia Eagles, who not only beat the Vikings in the NFC title game in January but then came to U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis in February and celebrated their Super Bowl title on the Vikings’ home field...
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...s-concern/

That contract will be much discussed and criticized if Cousins departs Minnesota without a Super Bowl. If he wins one, there will be a statue of him in front of U.S. Bank Stadium. The Wilfs would gladly pay the bill to have that statue built, as long as it means a Lombardi Trophy is sitting in the case at the TCO Performance Center.

“We’re laser focused on just doing what we can to get better,” Mark Wilf said. “Our fans are the best fans in the world and every year there’s anticipation and excitement. Our goal every season is to win Super Bowls. But we’re not here for one and done, we want to be competitive and significant in the league for a long time and be one of those franchises that players want to come to, coaches want to come to and that can be a winning franchise.”
The Vikings need to start with one championship before they can add another and are banking on the fact that Cousins can be the guy to get them that title.
If that makes Zygi and Mark a little less popular with their fellow owners, well, that’s a risk they are willing to take.

Fuck em!  Wink B)  

i am sure they are groaning in lambeau.

Quote: @kmillard said:
i am sure they are groaning in lambeau.
To Cousins point, it will be interesting to see how many players opt for his structure and the willingness of other teams to do it.

Rogers and Matty Ice will be next men up and near or probably over $100mm in the case of Rogers. 

Staggering sums of $. 

With NFL ratings on the trajectory they are, I wonder if we arent in the hey day of player pay right now? IF future TV contract $ is less, might that halo to player salaries???

Interesting times...

What i love is that the Vikings are trying!! We've got great owners, and a great coach, and a GM. It doesn't
guarantee anything, but i totally love this!! I'll soon be 52 and could be dead too, before we win a super bowl, but I'll take my chances with the crew we have!!

Seriously all they diid was leave off the phony balogney last two years of a cookie cutter contract. Too much hoopla over nothing...

Quote: @Kentis said:
Seriously all they diid was leave off the phony balogney last two years of a cookie cutter contract. Too much hoopla over nothing...
You Sir are a smart man and hit the nail squarely on the head. Much ado over nothing.

At least a couple of teams should not be heard to complain about the Cousins deal lest they be accused of hypocrisy.  

The Jets only advantage over the Vikings was more cap space. They reportedly offered more to Cousins ($90M). Surely their offer would also have been fully guaranteed or it would have been meaningless. They can’t complain. 

The Dolphins gave Suh 3 years of guaranteed money ($60M). That was 3 years ago. Suh is not a QB. They can’t complain.

Quote: @Kentis said:
Agreed. But some want the story to outrage the stupid people out there that don't pay attention to details. Plus some talking heads like to crap on the Vikings.