Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Post: 'Cousins is foolish if he doesn't sign with Minnesota'

Cousins will reportedly seek $90 million guaranteed over the next three years alone. A record bidding war is coming for a player who isn’t even a top-five quarterback.

I would agree with the premise of Minnesota being his best destination for winning right now and the quality of the team. Whether it happens or not, who knows for sure yet? I do think his work ethic and leadership would win the players and fans over fairly quickly....obviously his play early in the year even more so. 

IMO, I think the Broncos are going to be the Viking's main competitor for Cousins, not the Jets. But honestly, the chance to play for this caliber of a team and to play 9 games indoors is a big draw. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Cousins will reportedly seek $90 million guaranteed over the next three years alone. A record bidding war is coming for a player who isn’t even a top-five quarterback.
Yep, it will be a big contract. I guess you have to look at it as he has upside to be realized yet.....much like Keenum did last year. If Keenum can elevate his game then Cousins should be able to also, and at a higher level than Case did. Dalvin Cook returns. Maybe they make incremental gains in the offensive line quality for 2018. I think this is how the Viking's brass is viewing it, thru that prism: Cousins is the safest bet to drive this Porsche well, although an expensive one. Minnesota is in a window and they feel they can set themselves up to capitalize right now best with a guy like Cousins. 

JMO on how the organization is looking at this. 

I don't think players consider taxes as much as some think, but this is another interesting factor in favor of Minnesota...

Brian Costello of the New York Post has put together an article looking at the chances of the teams that have been deemed the “Final Four” in the Cousins derby of signing him to a deal. Those teams are the Vikings, the New York Jets, the Denver Broncos, and the Arizona Cardinals. One of the primary arguments that Costello has in favor of the Vikings is the amount of tax that Cousins would have to pay on whatever ridiculous salary figure he’s going to wind up at.
Quote:Cousins built a house in Michigan in 2017, so presumably that is where he plans to live in the offseason. Michigan and Minnesota have a reciprocal agreement, according to Robert Raiola, director of the Sports & Entertainment Group at the CPA and consulting firm PKF O’Connor. That means Cousins would not have to pay Minnesota tax, just Michigan. The Michigan tax rate is 4.25. If he signed with another team, he would have to pay tax in that state and Michigan. New Jersey’s tax rate is 8.97 by comparison.
So, if Cousins were to sign with the Vikings, he would only have to pay taxes once on his football income, at a rate of 4.25%. If he signed with any of the other three teams, he would have to pay not only the Michigan state income tax, but also the income tax of either New Jersey (8.97%), Colorado (4.63%), or Arizona (4.54%).

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I don't think players consider taxes as much as some think, but this is another interesting factor in favor of Minnesota...

Brian Costello of the New York Post has put together an article looking at the chances of the teams that have been deemed the “Final Four” in the Cousins derby of signing him to a deal. Those teams are the Vikings, the New York Jets, the Denver Broncos, and the Arizona Cardinals. One of the primary arguments that Costello has in favor of the Vikings is the amount of tax that Cousins would have to pay on whatever ridiculous salary figure he’s going to wind up at.
Cousins built a house in Michigan in 2017, so presumably that is where he plans to live in the offseason. Michigan and Minnesota have a reciprocal agreement, according to Robert Raiola, director of the Sports & Entertainment Group at the CPA and consulting firm PKF O’Connor. That means Cousins would not have to pay Minnesota tax, just Michigan. The Michigan tax rate is 4.25. If he signed with another team, he would have to pay tax in that state and Michigan. New Jersey’s tax rate is 8.97 by comparison.
So, if Cousins were to sign with the Vikings, he would only have to pay taxes once on his football income, at a rate of 4.25%. If he signed with any of the other three teams, he would have to pay not only the Michigan state income tax, but also the income tax of either New Jersey (8.97%), Colorado (4.63%), or Arizona (4.54%).
Costello is a little off the rails in his tax planning.  Most states give you a credit for taxes paid elsewhere.  i dont know MI policy but he would pay much less in MI (MN)than NY or NJ

I still can' t believe a guy like Cousins is worth 90 million.  He's got to be the greatest QB ever that never had a reputation for being a great QB.  I would rank him as upper tier average at best (slightly above Case but below Sam).  Wow was I wrong.

He's not going to get 90 fully guaranteed.  He'll get north of Stadfords numbers but not the whole contract fully guaranteed. 

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
I still can' t believe a guy like Cousins is worth 90 million.  He's got to be the greatest QB ever that never had a reputation for being a great QB.  I would rank him as upper tier average at best (slightly above Case but below Sam).  Wow was I wrong.
The irony is that if he signs here and stays healthy, he's going to be seen as an top-tier QB worth every penny of that ridiculous contract, whether he is or not. We could put Kirk Douglas at QB and he's going to look pretty good. Kirk Cousins actually has some talent. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
The irony is that if he signs here and stays healthy, he's going to be seen as an top-tier QB worth every penny of that ridiculous contract, whether he is or not. We could put Kirk Douglas at QB and he's going to look pretty good. Kirk Cousins actually has some talent. 

Well, he has the lineage... Wink
[Image: 800px-Vikings_moviep.jpg]